Perustopia Book Club discussion

Rook
This topic is about Rook
For Those Who Dare to Dislike (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kathryn (abundanceofkats) (Note to self: this is probably inviting disaster but... I'm going to trust that my fellow humans are the honourable sort)

Personally, I really enjoyed the book, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that didn't and I'm rather interested in hearing what people didn't like about this.

Just so we're clear:
THIS ISN'T A HATE DISCUSSION GROUP. JUST A PLACE FOR PEOPLE TO GATHER AND DISCUSS ANY ISSUES THEY MIGHT HAVE HAD IN A MATURE AND THOUGHTFUL MANNER. PLEASE DON'T BE MEAN AND PLEASE RESPECT EVERYONE'S OPINION.

THANKS^^

Leigh W. | 17 comments This is totally situational, but I just couldn't get myself to fall in love with it. The constantly switching points of view threw me off and I had a hard time keeping track of the plot. Just personally wasn't a fan. I did really enjoy the characters though. They saved the book for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Samantha Garvey (samanthareads_) I wasn't really a fan. I found there to be a complete lack of world building, we're just thrust in and sort of expected to understand everything that's going on. I also didn't find that the dual perspectives worked for this particular book.

Aadivah (aadivah-is-awesome) I agree about the lack of world building but I feel like the author's note really cleared it up for me.

Aadivah (aadivah-is-awesome) Personally, what bothered me most was when Sophia was suddenly less awesome because of the attention from the boys.

message 6: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan Blanch (hopelessbookaddict) I had to DNF it, which I feel really bad about. But I just really wasn't getting into it. Rene was the most redeeming character for me. The others were just kind of boring :/

message 7: by Olga (new) - added it

Olga (meluse) | 9 comments I'm just in the middle, so I can't speak about the whole story but until now there are quite a lot of things that I dislike. I'm also confused by the lack of world building (I can't really picture the world). The switching points of view don't bother me at all - I actually think they are quite refreshing. BUT the characters are really just "okay". They don't seem exactly flat but even though they have their histories and motives, they seem SO cliché. The only one I really like is Tom. The others just remind of dolls.
What did you enjoy about it? Maybe I'm reading it with wrong expectations ...

Deanna | 5 comments Agreed about the world building!! I was kind of confused about why any of this was happening. And I also felt like I needed a map or illustration of the setting because it wasn't there in the writing for me. I don't think you should have to rely on an authors note to get the big picture, it should naturally be woven throughout the writing. I loved the story line though. Just thought a lot of things could have been better explained. I gave the book 3 or 3.5 out of 5 stars

Aadivah (aadivah-is-awesome) I totally agree about the map. I personally think that a book is not truly fantasy unless it has a map, anyone else agree?

Annika (shakespearesshelf) The map was probably left out since the story seems to be based on France, the UK and the English Channel in the future, and everybody knows what they look like.

What bothered me more was how flat the characters were and how cheap the romance. At some point I was a bit tired of constantly reading what a daughter stealer René and what a heroine Sophia was... I guess its really mostly a book for very young readers?

Aislin Brunt I am only half way through myself and I will admit I am struggling with the book. I agree with what others are saying about the world building being lacking and, for me, the characters started off strong but then somehow became less then they were - like the author seemed to run out of steam or loose her connection with the characters in her head somehow- the pace of the book so far also bugs be a bit. It started off going to fast and strong but the least several chapters, for me anyway, have drug on and on and on with nothing really happening. I have heard it picks up again in the second half so I am plugging through, hopefully I will see soon how true that rumour is.

message 12: by Jia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jia | 15 comments Honestly what kept me going and helped me finish the book was the romance. I don't really care about the plot that much. The setting just doesn't spark enough interest in me. I like Benoit and Madame Hasard and Emilie a lot but they are not enough to keep me going if not for Rene and Sophia's relationship. I think they are perfect for each other and I like that they understand each other so well and did I mention the trust between them? It was amazing. A lot of authors choose to display misunderstandings and struggles between the main protagonists, and the idea for Sophia to trust Rene without doubt is very refreshing and lovely.

message 13: by Olga (last edited Aug 25, 2015 02:26PM) (new) - added it

Olga (meluse) | 9 comments Annika wrote: "I guess its really mostly a book for very young readers?

I guess it is but it doesn't justify the flat characters. I was also annoyed by how MANY times René was described as daughter stealer (and as an amazing guy in general). I mean ... two or three times were completely enough for me to remember. On the other hand, other characters weren't really described at all or only briefly. I ended up getting everyone mixed up.

Marina Lima (himarina) Olga

I think Renè was described as daughter stealer so many times because he had so many sides (or characters), and it was a way to show which one he was being. I got really confused when all the Hasard uncles enter the scene, I was like 'wait, who are you again?' there were so many and not enough to differentiate them.

message 15: by Erin (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erin | 3 comments Yeah I'm totally agreeing with all the comments that have been posted so far. I thought the actual plot for rook could have been awesome but the writer kind of stopped that from happening in my opinion after chapter 1! The first chapter I truly felt like it could have been such a great adventure but then Sophia literally does nothing except climb out of windows and jump on roofs..and I'm sorry but that isn't exactly the cool stuff I was expecting when reading this book. If really annoyed me that when her brother was taken she was a bit sad but it seemed she was more upset with her situation with Rene and Spear..I was like, girl! You need to sort out your priorities! And then the world building, it was set in a future where technology no longer exists yet they talked and behaved and dressed like people would in the 1800's....why? For me this book could have been great but I forced myself to finish it purely and simply for this group.

message 16: by Marshall (new)

Marshall Comia (marshall852) | 9 comments I really loved the first chapter, it really intrigued me as it gave a really versatile setup for the plot to go many different places. The only problem was the book was way to slow of a pacing. Some conversations between characters I would end up reading for half an hour and it was just to slow for me. I found myself not finishing the book, but I have high hopes for septembers book!

message 17: by Marshall (new)

Marshall Comia (marshall852) | 9 comments I really loved the first chapter, it really intrigued me as it gave a really versatile setup for the plot to go many different places. The only problem was the book was way to slow of a pacing. Some conversations between characters I would end up reading for half an hour and it was just to slow for me. I found myself not finishing the book, but I have high hopes for septembers book!

message 18: by Jessi V (new)

Jessi V (jessivreads) After reading the synopsis of this book I was hesitant to even join in on the group read because it's just not the kind of story I usually like, but I gave it a go. And sure enough, I haven't enjoyed it. Not really because of the story, but because of the writing. I started reading it and as I kept reading I found myself not having a clue of what what going on. I finally just gave up. Maybe I'll try again later but I highly doubt I'll have it finished by time the next book for the group is announced.

message 19: by Jessi V (new)

Jessi V (jessivreads) After reading the synopsis of this book I was hesitant to even join in on the group read because it's just not the kind of story I usually like, but I gave it a go. And sure enough, I haven't enjoyed it. Not really because of the story, but because of the writing. I started reading it and as I kept reading I found myself not having a clue of what what going on. I finally just gave up. Maybe I'll try again later but I highly doubt I'll have it finished by time the next book for the group is announced.

message 20: by coeur de samurai (last edited Aug 29, 2015 02:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

coeur de samurai (coeurdesamurai) | 71 comments I really liked the beginning of the book but the last chapters kind of lost me. The writing is confusing and not clear at all. I first thought that Tom was dead but then he was alive? or just wounded? or tortured? dunno, it wasn't clear. The multiple pov was nice but sometimes annoying and other times a real breath of fresh air in a boring scene. I agree that the lack of world building was disconcerting but it was still understandable. I keep reading it because the characters are very interesting and even if there is a hole somewhere in the story, I think it's still a good story but it was just badly written.

message 21: by Olga (new) - added it

Olga (meluse) | 9 comments I was also confused by Tom's "death" because when LeBlanc left him in the bone room, the narrator said something like: he heard him die. So I thought he would kill him and that's why he was so sure the Rook couldn't find him. And then Sophie came and thought he was dead and started crying before even checking... I guess the author wrote it this way to create suspense but it was just confusing.

Idalis Moscoso | 13 comments The book was very boring, especially the main characters. I feel like the main characters were not developed fully and were very dull and not unique at all. The side characters were actually more interesting in my opinion and I feel like they were more developed. The main thing that bothered me was how the time period was not clearly set. I did not know the time period until halfway through the book which then helped clear up a lot of confusion from the first half. The book was a fun read but I do not believe I will be finding myself re-reading it.

Kathryn (abundanceofkats) Olga wrote: "I'm just in the middle, so I can't speak about the whole story but until now there are quite a lot of things that I dislike. I'm also confused by the lack of world building (I can't really picture ..."

I don't think your reading with the wrong expectations, I'm just really easy to please. I don't think the book's without it's issues, they just didn't matter to me so much I guess. I don't know. There is no one thing that made me like, I just found it an overall fun read. Not a favourite, but not a bad read.

The only thing that did bother me - and it was such a tiny thing that I'm sure no one else even thought about it for longer than it took them to read it - was fact that Mr Halflife's Manchester accent was described as posh. It just grated on me because it's not a posh accent at all. Not in the slightest.

message 24: by Gabrielle (new) - added it

Gabrielle (gabbilupe2012) | 41 comments Jessica wrote: "After reading the synopsis of this book I was hesitant to even join in on the group read because it's just not the kind of story I usually like, but I gave it a go. And sure enough, I haven't enjoy..."
I find myself saying feeling the same the writing style throws me off a little bit. As i continue reading i find i become a bit lost.

Shannon (shannaleigh17) | 2 comments I actually really enjoyed this book, but I did have issues with the writing style toward the end. At the beginning and middle, the changes of perspective were far enough apart to be refreshing. But at the end, it was overwhelming and something that would be more appropriate in a script. It was almost like she wrote in the jump cuts that would normally be in a movie. Maybe she was doing that to make it seem more suspenseful or chaotic, but I just don't think it was necessary.