Our Novel Escape discussion

2015 Finished Reads Discussions > September BOTM Nominations- Banned Books

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katherine, Monthly Group Reads (last edited Aug 30, 2015 12:47PM) (new)

Katherine | 464 comments Mod
“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.” ― Oscar Wilde

Banned Books week is from Sept. 27th-Oct. 3rd. It celebrates those books that were challenged or banned for various reasons, and celebrates the freedom to read.

You have various options for this months nominations:

1. Of course, the first suggestion is to nominate a book that has been banned in a country (doesn't matter which one), or has been cited by the ALA as a frequently challenged book.

Banned Books List suggestions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...

Challenged Books List suggestions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...

2. Nominate a book that has been banned in either your state or city. For example, when The Grapes of Wrath was first published, California banned it from being read.

3. Read a book that you were forbidden (or discouraged) from reading by your parents or an adult authority figure. For example, some conservative Christian families forbid their children from reading the Harry Potter series because of its themes of witchcraft.

Nominations start today and will end on August 23rd. The poll will be set up the next day.

Let's be rebels; read a banned (or challenged) book!!

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (morebooksplease) | 31 comments I would like to nominate An Area of Darkness by V.S. Naipaul.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition "American Psycho" by Brett Easton Ellis

message 5: by ZaraS (last edited Aug 19, 2015 06:25PM) (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer I nominate Ulysses by James Joyce Ulysses (one of these days I'll get this book read!!)

message 6: by Barb (new)

Barb (barby22) | 5 comments I'm going to nominate Madame Bovary.