The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > Uncanny Magazine

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Uncanny magazine (http://uncannymagazine.com/) is a fantastic science fiction and fantasy magazine whose issues from the past year are all available for free.

They're currently holding a kickstarter for the next year's issue. (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...).

I highly recommend checking out those awards. There's a lot of interesting things in the kickstarter awards. But even if you don't want to contribute, I recommend checking out the magazine because it is an amazing source for some bites of sci fi and fantasy. : )

message 2: by Ulmer Ian (new)

Ulmer Ian (eean) | 341 comments I actually recommend subscribing via weightlessbooks.com, it's just more convenient. I contributed a bit to the Kickstarter anyways.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Ulmer Ian wrote: "I actually recommend subscribing via weightlessbooks.com, it's just more convenient. I contributed a bit to the Kickstarter anyways."

That works, especially since they met their funding goal!

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments Does anyone know if there's a Calibre recipe for the issues once the content has become free?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Eric wrote: "Does anyone know if there's a Calibre recipe for the issues once the content has become free?"

The content becomes free in an HTML format piece of text by text. To calibre it, you'd probably have to convert each to a pdf and then to the format of your choice. It's similar to other SF+F magazines. Unless there's some magical script that does this automatically.

message 6: by Sky (new)

Sky | 665 comments I haven't looked at the format above, but if you are using a kindle, the 'send to kindle' browser extension is highly useful, if the content is all on a single page. I use it for reading most short stories on the web.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Sky wrote: "I haven't looked at the format above, but if you are using a kindle, the 'send to kindle' browser extension is highly useful, if the content is all on a single page. I use it for reading most shor..."

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

message 8: by Ulmer Ian (new)

Ulmer Ian (eean) | 341 comments Eric wrote: "Does anyone know if there's a Calibre recipe for the issues once the content has become free?"

Yea the recipe is called 'subscribe on weightlessbooks.com'. :D

They email each issue directly to your Kindle.

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments Ulmer Ian wrote: "Eric wrote: "Does anyone know if there's a Calibre recipe for the issues once the content has become free?"

Yea the recipe is called 'subscribe on weightlessbooks.com'. :D

They email each issue d..."

Anja wrote: "Eric wrote: "Does anyone know if there's a Calibre recipe for the issues once the content has become free?"

The content becomes free in an HTML format piece of text by text. To calibre it, you'd p..."

Hehe. I respect the decision to support the writers. I was just curious. I have issue 1 on my wishlist on Amazon to see if I'd like it.

But for Anja - basically there are Calibre recipes for various websites to auto-create books for you so that you could do something like every morning get an ebook created of your favorite RSS feeds to read on the train. It's something that'll be obsolete once we have internet always everywhere.

message 10: by Ulmer Ian (last edited Aug 27, 2015 09:51AM) (new)

Ulmer Ian (eean) | 341 comments We'll never have Internet everywhere. Tunnels and dead spots are inevitable. Physics yo.

Well maybe if we can use Extremely Low Frequency communication somehow, that will almost go straight through the Earth itself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme... :)

Kindle not having good RSS support isn't technological but rather a business plan issue. That indeed might get fixed!

message 11: by Eric (new)

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments Never say never. If it was important for some reason, we could have towers and other wires everywhere.

Let's say a key part of self-driving cars is talking to the internet. They'd have to deal with tunnels even if that meant the cars starting a mesh network out until they reached a car that could reach the net.