The Hugo Awards Book Club discussion

Try try again

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn (joceapotamus) | 103 comments So who wants to get this going for real this time?

message 2: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 1 comments I'm in.

message 3: by Charles (new)

Charles | 16 comments Count me in. I have a bunch of older Hugo award winners on my bookshelf calling out to me.

message 4: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn (joceapotamus) | 103 comments Ok! 3rd time is the charm?

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz | 24 comments Just joined - what shall we start with?

message 6: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn (joceapotamus) | 103 comments Well in that case, you pick :)

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz | 24 comments Did y'all finish "The Demolished Man" by Bester? It suits me fine to read them in order. Next up would be Mark Clifton and Frank Riley's "They'd Rather be Right" (also known as "The Forever Machine"). Sadly, our library only has an electronic copy.

message 8: by Charles (new)

Charles | 16 comments I read, The Demolished Man, and I'd be happy to join in a discussion of it with anyone who wants to read it.

message 9: by Liz (new)

Liz | 24 comments I'll go see if the library is open today and, if so, get The Demolished Man. It was closed all last week because of the flooding here in Greenville, NC. Classes at ECU are supposed to start tomorrow but I don't know where the hundreds of students who's homes are still under water are supposed to live.

message 10: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn (joceapotamus) | 103 comments awesome, let's read it! it's been on my shelf since I started the group.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz | 24 comments So how does this work? Do we wait until the end to comment? I wouldn't want to introduce any spoilers - God knows _I_ don't like to read spoilers!

message 12: by Charles (new)

Charles | 16 comments Okay, this is not a spoiler. Bester introduced the idea of strange formatting in this book. You will find pages with a melange of text that doesn't seem to make sense. It's his way of showing you what it might "sound" like in someone's mind when a bunch of "peepers" get together and mix actual speech with telepathy. It puts a lot of people off. I advise readers to do one of two things: (1) just read through it, imagining you're in a crowded party room (2) or, go back over it a few times until you can sort out who's thinking what.
He doesn't do it too often, but he does it early in the book. The book, IMO, is well worth reading.

message 13: by Liz (new)

Liz | 24 comments I find it interesting that a lot of early sci-fi was based on the existence of ESP. The best sci-fi, IMHO, is based on some current known science fact extrapolated out in a good story. Was there ever (Is there now?) scientific basis for ESP? And yes, the "peeper" conversations are odd to read.

message 14: by Charles (new)

Charles | 16 comments The Russians had an huge effort within their intelligence corps doing studies of ESP during the 1950's. That is supposedly where the original spoon-bending (psychokinesis) experiments took place.

message 15: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn (joceapotamus) | 103 comments FYI: I've set up a second thread for the book but feel free to discuss here! I think for now, unless you guys want to do scheduled reading, maybe just share thoughts, impressions, etc but with spoiler alerts if needed?

Happy reading!!