Teen Writers and Readers Unite discussion

Writing > HELP!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kersten (new)

Kersten Dominique (kersten_d) | 1068 comments This discussion is for discussing our own writing, but more specifically for asking and answering questions to help each other become better writers. If you're having trouble with a story/character/development/plot/etc, then just ask on here and we'll help you out.

message 2: by Kersten (new)

Kersten Dominique (kersten_d) | 1068 comments Okay, so I've been working on this book for like over three years, and I have such a strong connection to all the characters, well all except one... And this is a problem because this character dies, and it really impacts all the characters (girl enters bad relationship, boy does drugs, other boy gets into fights at school, etc). So, this character is in maybe the first quarter of the book, and then in the hospital until about 3/4 through when they die. My question is, how can I build a reader connection with a character, when they're not present for most of the book?

message 3: by Azaria (new)

Azaria Gerardo (bookflix) | 137 comments Well, for when they are present show them connecting with other characters. Make them interactive with the other characters when they are alive. However, when they die, here's when the fun part starts, you can make you characters hallucinate seeing them, in a state of grief. You can also incorporate flashbacks with them in the story. Since they die, you need to make sure that they do something memorable, so that the readers will care when they die. Whatever they do that is memorable, you can present it before or after they die. I say after, because it'll give a shock factor. Hope that helps.

message 4: by Kersten (new)

Kersten Dominique (kersten_d) | 1068 comments Another thing about this story, (spoiler alert, the mom dies) so, the dad is stuck taking care of the (six) children. What happens is the Dad is being a very good father, dealing with the death and taking care of them, but the children all feel like he's ignoring them/not taking good care of them. I'm also having trouble trying to make him look like a good father, especially when all the children are angry with him all the time.

message 5: by Azaria (new)

Azaria Gerardo (bookflix) | 137 comments Well you need to show him making an effort to being a good dad, I know this sounds very juvenile but, maybe he could try and take them out for ice cream? That shows that he's making an effort but doesn't know quite how to.

message 6: by Kersten (new)

Kersten Dominique (kersten_d) | 1068 comments Alright. And then all the kids just overlook this. Thanks! :)

message 7: by Kersten (new)

Kersten Dominique (kersten_d) | 1068 comments Yeah. I'd have to research hospital visits because I know there's certain rules depending on what the person's there for and stuff. They'll definitely go visit her though, even if it's only a couple times.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahmango) | 53 comments You could also make the dad do things that the mom used to do before she died (like making dinner?) but failing at it because he's not used to having to do it (maybe burn the meal?). This shows that he's trying to make an effort, but the kids might not appreciate it, might say something like "Well mom never would have done that".

message 9: by Kersten (new)

Kersten Dominique (kersten_d) | 1068 comments Does anyone else have this problem where they have a folder on their laptop/a notebook filled with nothing but miscellaneous scenes?

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahmango) | 53 comments Oh my god, yes Mini Squeekadon. I have notebook upon notebook filled with random scenes, unexplored ideas and unfinished stories. I have no idea what to do with them. I thought I was the only one.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

1. I'm trying to write a 'modern' twist on The Secret Garden--kind of like Splintered is for Alice in Wonderland. Any tips? Should I keep the two main characters as cousins like in the original or not? Should I change any names? etc.
2. Does anyone have experience with fanfiction? I want to write a fic for one of the video games I like, but it's a lot harder than normal writing. :/