Devon Book Club discussion

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
This topic is about World War Z
Books to Film > World War Z

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tonia (yestonia) | 28 comments Apologies for the vagueness of this post, I have tried not to include spoilers for either book or film which makes it tricky so say what I really want to say!

I read this book last week - and was thoroughly underwhelmed I have to say. The thing which distracted me most was that whilst we were supposed to believe the story was being told by different characters, the language, tone, pace etc was identical for each segment of the story. It just felt lazy and prevented me from actually getting a firm grip on the narrative.

That said - and to get to the point - last night I watched the movie and it's actually pretty good.

But: there is actually no correlation whatsoever between the two stories. I know we always say the "movie is nothing like the book" - but you would expect just a semblance of the actual plot as we see it.

Maybe the fragmented nature of the book means there could never be an accurate representation, but that begs the question: Why did they bother to try? This could just have easily have been presented as a decent z-movie in its own right without attaching it to the book. It seemed a main character was created simply as a vehicle for Pitt and an ending was created out of nowhere.

Has anyone else watched and/or read World War Z?

What opinions did you have? - After all, the book has been lauded so clearly I have missed something...

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2991 comments Mod
Tonia wrote: "Apologies for the vagueness of this post, I have tried not to include spoilers for either book or film which makes it tricky so say what I really want to say!

I read this book last week - and was ..."

A great post Tonia, thank you. I don't know the book or film I am afraid - just checked it out on line - an intriguing theme!

It is interestign hwo we view books into film isn't it. I watched Suite Française recently, wonderign how it would stand up (I loved the book) but it was actually very good. Hard when your imaginative take on a book is played out in front of you through someone else's interpretation. Sometimes that works, other times it bombs.

Tonia (yestonia) | 28 comments Ian wrote: "It is interestign hwo we view books into film isn't it."

Yes, there are many films I have put off watching because I loved the book too much! The thing is; some parts of a book which may be great to read possibly don't work on screen - I get that. But if you have to abandon the plot altogether, then at what point does the tie between book and film become completely severed?

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2991 comments Mod
Tonia wrote: "Ian wrote: "It is interestign hwo we view books into film isn't it."

Yes, there are many films I have put off watching because I loved the book too much! The thing is; some parts of a book which ..."

Agree - there does come a point where it is just marketing hype