Adaptation: Book VS Film discussion

Always Adapted Authors > Cormack McCarthy

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kerry (last edited Aug 27, 2015 07:02AM) (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments I haven't read any McCarthy (fiction writer) yet but he seems very interesting and has been an influential author in America, focusing on heavier topics within the genre's of Southern Gothic, Western and Post-Apocalyptic. His Book to Film adaptations include:The best picture winner:

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
THE ROAD
ALL THE PRETTY HORSES
CHILD OF GOD
& BLOOD MERIDIAN' has been rumored to be in developed for years.

I have seen No country for old men and some of The Road. Those two books I would like to read as reviews seem to weigh in more favour toward the books. Anyone a fan of his work? (books or adaptations?)

message 2: by Hester (new)

Hester (hesterprine) | 16 comments I read The Road and how I hated it and I'm still clueless as to why it got as much love as it did. It also made me want to vomit at times. I did not see the movie, I figured I would hate as much as I did the book.

I have another one of his waiting to be read but can't remember which one.

message 3: by Hester (new)

Hester (hesterprine) | 16 comments Kerry wrote: "Hester wrote: "I read The Road and how I hated it and I'm still clueless as to why it got as much love as it did. It also made me want to vomit at times. I did not see the movie, I figu..."

I hated the writing and the story. I don't want to say anymore than that because I don't want to reveal any spoilers.

message 4: by Brett (new)

Brett | -2 comments McCarthy's books are all over the map for me. I still have a few more of his books to read. For adaptations, I think 'No Country for Old Men' is the best.

Hester, 'The Road' is easily one of my favorites! From a literary perspective, I understand that it's strangely crafted and breaks all the rules. As for the story, it really clicked with me. The measures a father would take to keep his son alive when the world has gone to crap... heavy stuff. May I ask why the book wanted to make you vomit at times?

Not trying to change your opinion of the book, I just wanted to show the other end of the spectrum ;)

message 5: by Simon (new)

Simon (siid) | 27 comments I read "The Road" about eight or nine years ago and loved it. Admittedly it is not the easiest book to read, since McCarthy's style of writing is very erratic in this book (haven’t read any of his other books, so I don’t know if he always writes like that), yet the bond between the man and his son affected me very much, even though I did not have kids back then. I guess if I were to read the book nowadays for the first time, being a father myself now, it probably would touch me even more.

The movie was ok I guess…I was expecting more, yet knew that it possibly could not deliver. I'd say it's one of the better adaptations in general:)