GoodReads' First Readers discussion

First Reads Discussions > Giveaway winner selection

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John (johnekerry) | 3 comments I recently posted the below under the topic:
Are Goodreads giveaway winners randomly selected?

But I wanted to raise my observations higher and give them it's own topic to see if there were any authors out there with a similar experience. And to maybe give entrants of giveaways some insight into an author's experience of the winners that are selected.

---------

I've noticed a change in the way giveaway winners are selected over the last couple of years.
I'm a goodreads author and I regularly hold giveaways for my book. These are my observations. I'll leave you all to draw your own conclusions.

The facts are these:
I often hold two to three month long giveaways for 2 books at a time. I leave the giveaways going, racking up entrants to increase the exposure of my book and so I regularly get 5,000 to 6,000 people entering. I'd say 700 to 1000 of those entrants enter the giveaway within the last 48 hours when my book hits the first page of the "Ending soon" section.
I'm based in the UK so over here the giveaways end at 8:00am GMT.
In the last several giveaways I've created, the winners have all entered within the same minute the giveaway ends.
My most recent giveaway finished this morning 3hrs 14 minutes ago
The time of this writing is 11:14 UK time
Both winners of this giveaway (according to the Recent Updates on their profiles) "entered" the giveaway 3hrs 14 minutes ago.
That's quite a coincidence.
Exactly the same thing happened on the last giveaway I created.
I believe this also happened the giveaway before that although I wouldn't swear to it.

Even with the spike of entrants occurring in the last 24 hours the bulk of the entrants enter before this period.
The probability that all 4 winners (over the two competitions) all entered the giveaways within the last minute is pretty low.

The evidence appears fairly conclusive. However I suppose the winners could've entered the competition at an earlier date and through a glitch in the system Goodreads writes again to their recent updates stating that they've only just entered right on the deadline. I don't know. I imagine it's unlikely but it's a possibility.

Make what you will of my circumstantial evidence.

message 2: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 5 comments When someone wins a giveaway it posts on their lookup they 'entered' at the time the winners were picked. I've had it posted on mine even though I'd entered a day or two before tbe competition ended. It just seems to be a way of showing you've won.

message 3: by John (new)

John (johnekerry) | 3 comments Carrie wrote: "When someone wins a giveaway it posts on their lookup they 'entered' at the time the winners were picked. I've had it posted on mine even though I'd entered a day or two before tbe competition ende..."

Ah, I wondered if that was the case. Weird that it doesn't show the user "Won" a giveaway.
I thought I was on to something :)

message 4: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 5 comments It really should be a different posting of some sort but no, it looks as if you've just entered the competition. If you check all the winners from last night's giveaways they should all have that listed for whatever they've won.

Now as far as winners being random... that's a whole different topic. I won a lot when I first started entering but it quickly tapered off. Haven't won a single book this month even though I've entered just as many as when I started. There's been talk of the giveaways being filtered to newer entrants to get them hooked on the site and I've begun to question that myself now.

message 5: by John (new)

John (johnekerry) | 3 comments I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.
My experience is that winners are tending to be fairly new to goodreads.

message 6: by Katlynn (new)

Katlynn Parsons (momma182) | 1 comments Not sure if this helps figuring out the selection process, but I've been a member with GoodReads since June of 2012. I only started entering giveaways in May of 2013.

Throughout 2013 (May-December) I won 22 books, but I entered approximately 1780 giveaways. 1% of the giveaways I entered I won.

Throughout 2014 (Jan-Dec) I only won 6 books, and I entered approximately 580 giveaways. 1% of the giveaways I entered I won.

Throughout 2014 (Jan-July) I've won 16 books, and I've entered approximately 1300 giveaways. 1% of the giveaways I entered I won.

Seams to be a pattern there.

message 7: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaun2014) I thought the same thing, John. I even tried to enter a few giveaways in the final minute and didn't win any of them. So I figured it must be posting to their feed if they win.

It's odd, because I've seen some winners have the "entered a giveaway" notice on their page hours before the end of the giveaway, and they've won. So there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it.

message 8: by Jody (new)

Jody Ellis | 17 comments Interesting statistics Katlynn,

I have no idea what my success rate is, but I love the chance to read new and interesting books that I might have never discovered without the giveaways.

I guess it is like lottery, you can enter, but you have to be in it to win it right?

message 9: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaun2014) https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

This is the first time I've seen someone from GR (well a GR expert and mod of the feedback group) actually state, in clear text, that the winners are chosen completely randomly now.

Jaclyn said: Giveaway winners are now selected via a random drawing and there is no relation to whether or not a winner has reviewed previous books that they've won. This was in accordance with the laws governing sweepstakes of this kind.