Terminalcoffee discussion

Pop Culture / Celebrities > Which actor/actress do you feel is overrated?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3403 comments I think Sean Penn is overrated. I just re-watched him in Mystic River, and he'd have been better playing it understated.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Angelina Jolie and Adam Sandler, don't get the appeal.

Also I think these are good actors but overrated: Kevin Costner and Donald Sutherland

message 3: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3403 comments I agree with you about Adam Sandler. What about Will Ferrell and Vince Vaughn?

I think Morgan Freeman's popularity is based on his role in Driving Miss Daisy, but he's not a great actor, in my opinion. What do you think?

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Will and Vince are in some decent movies although I don't enjoy them like some of the classic actors. I liked 80's comedies with John Candy, that sort of thing. I'm not into the raunchy comedy as much

You're right on Morgan Freeman in that he plays basically same personality in most movies

message 5: by Louise (new)

Louise Ben Affleck - I've never seen him deliver persuasive acting, and there's very little charisma

message 6: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Martin | 10 comments Louise wrote: "Ben Affleck - I've never seen him deliver persuasive acting, and there's very little charisma"

I agree.

I also can't stand Nicolas Cage.

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I don't want to see anything with Vince Vaughn in it. Same for Adam Sandler.

message 8: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3403 comments Ben Affleck was perfect for Gone Girl because he has that flat affect that the guy in the novel had. I think about him in any movie he's been in, and the picture in my mind is the same blah image.

What do you think about Sean Penn? Great or not?

message 9: by CD (new)

CD  | 1486 comments Scout wrote: "Ben Affleck was perfect for Gone Girl because he has that flat affect that the guy in the novel had. I think about him in any movie he's been in, and the picture in my mind is the same blah image.
..."

Except for three films and associated roles, Penn has stunk up a lot of movies trying to be Harvey Keitel.

The three films I'll give him the benefit of the doubt or actually liked are Taps, Colors, and Gangster Squad. I felt really cheated that he ruined two films in particular, Milk and All the King's Men.

message 10: by CD (new)

CD  | 1486 comments Charlize Theron while we are on the Sean Penn theme.

I don't care that she has an Oscar for Monster. I could barely get through that one because of her. And then, then!, she had to go and muck up the latest Mad Max film. And that's really hard to do, so maybe she has some skills . . .

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I'm not a fan of Uma Thurman or Nicole Kidman either. Something about them rubs me the wrong way. And I always found Julianne Moore smug

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Nicole can rub me the wrong way anytime.

message 13: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Morales (carriemorales) | 7 comments Julia Roberts
Ashton Kutcher
Jenniffer Anniston
Nicholas Cage
Meg Ryan
Catherine Zeta Jones

message 14: by CD (new)

CD  | 1486 comments Now Carolina, just don't hold back! :)

message 15: by Booksdingle (new)

Booksdingle | 21 comments Keanu Reeves always sounds very wooden and dare I say Catherine Zeta Jones even though I am a fellow Welsh person she has the strangest accent - worst casting? - Tom Cruise in Rock of Ages...hated him in that film - totally unconvinced.

message 16: by CD (new)

CD  | 1486 comments Terence Howard needs a better role. Or two. Performances or roles that have come close include The Butler and his work on the TV/Cable show Empire. I get the feeling watching interviews with the actor that he follows the Robert Mitchum school of acting where you say your lines and go home. Several movies/films/shows that could/should have been a lot better are the ones that stand out in my mind regarding Howard including Winnie Mandela and Red Tails.

He just hasn't stood out in range or has for me a defining moment like several other actors that have gotten a lot of work and hype recently.

The thought has crossed my mind that he needs a moment like Giancarlo Esposito had in 'Breaking Bad'. You know, plastic suit, box cutter, personal involvement and then pay back was a real loud b****!

message 17: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3403 comments Terrence Howard did well in Hustle and Flow and Crash. I think if he got the right role, he could be great. I have to disagree about Robert Mitchum. Night of the Hunter, Wrath of God, Cape Fear, and Home from the Hill were ones where he didn't just say lines.

I think Channing Tatum is WAY overrated.

message 18: by Julie (new)

Julie | 44 comments Pretty much all of them.

message 19: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3403 comments Definitely not DeNiro

message 20: by Mark (last edited Aug 02, 2016 06:17AM) (new)

Mark Burns (TheFailedPhilosopher) | 441 comments Scout wrote: "Ben Affleck was perfect for Gone Girl because he has that flat affect that the guy in the novel had. I think about him in any movie he's been in, and the picture in my mind is the same blah image.
..."

That was the other affleck?

I'm worng I was thinking of the one about the missing girl. He's a better actor by far though.

message 21: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3403 comments Now Ben Affleck has had his eyes done, and he looks constantly surprised. How do you act with that going on?

message 22: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Morales (carriemorales) | 7 comments CD wrote: "Now Carolina, just don't hold back! :)"

I couldn't even if I tried (Which I never do anyway, lol).

message 23: by Elana (new)

Elana (screenstarr) | 13 comments Angelina Jolie

message 24: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24154 comments Mod
All of them.

I actually think Clooney is pretty good, but then again I haven't seen all his movies.

Tilda Swinton is held in awe because she's supposedly so great an actor, but I always find her to be overacting.

If I were directing movies, my advice to actors would be: whatever you're thinking of doing, dial it back 90 percent. I think acting should be invisible. Usually in the movies all we see is actors acting. "I'm acting, I'm acting, look at me."

message 25: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3403 comments You never see Tom Hanks acting in Cast Away. Amazing in the true sense of the word. Watch Robert Redford and Meryl Streep in Out of Africa. Again, truly amazing.

Compare these performances to those of Channing Tatum, Chris Hemsworth, Kevin Hart, Melissa McCarthy - all moneymakers in today's market, and all overrated.