Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1) Wolf Hall question

Everyone in the world is reading it, so it must be good?
deleted member Aug 18, 2015 05:42PM
There are many, many books out there that the whole world and their mothers have read. The must read book of the year. Dan Browns The Da Vinci Code is one of them that took the world by storm. I ask you two questions 'Did you like them'? My choice would be the whole Harry Potter saga and Wolf Hall. I tried several times to read Wolf Hall and sadly I could not get passed the first 150 pages. Yet friends keep telling of the wonderful experience I've missed out on. Life is too short and there are so many books out there to read to waste time on fighting a book.

What books did your friends love along with the rest of the world, yet you personally, well didn't get what all the fuss was about?

Its early in the morning here in Ireland and I'm still awake, this is the kind of thing that keeps my brain awake :))))

, one of my most favourite books of all time - i LOVED it! so interesting; layers of metaphor, beautifully written; takes a minute to get the gist of the meaning but sail through, don't worry too much about holding on to every detail at first; each piece of information will become evident as time goes on; a wonderful, fabulous read! complicated and intelligent. who wants to read a children's book anyway? i LIKE to be challenged by literature!
michele

I could not get through Wolf Hall either, although it does seem like a winter book to me and I was trying to read it in the summer. I mentioned this to some friends and was surprised, given the hoopla about the book, that I had a lot of company in the quit column!
I did read All the Light We Cannot See recently, and I really do not see what the fuss is there, as I found it mawkish.

Colin wrote: "There are many, many books out there that the whole world and their mothers have read. The must read book of the year. Dan Browns The Da Vinci Code is one of them that took the world by storm. I as..."

I agree with what Colin says about Wolf Hall. It was an effort to read, unlike Colin I did finish it but it left me wondering why I had bothered. Whilst reading it I had the impression that voices were coming at me in a dark room, the author's failure to tag whose voice it was left me confussed and frustrated. I think this literary technique was designed, I think, to give the impression of voices from the past but for me it didn't work and made it a lot of effort for nothing. If you are thinking of reading this don't bother watch the BBC dramatisation instead.

And I'm ready to reread Wolf Hall later this month. For me, it really helped watching the mini series first as it set the stage for the written word. Of course this time period has always intrigued me. I also was reading it with a friend and we have like interests so shared our thoughts a long the way. Also, we found ourselves looking for information on the internet as we went a long, such as the tapestries, Holbein the painter, etc. But, maybe because we are former school teachers this was a novel we could not only take it apart and compare notes, but delve into the second book, Bring up the Bodies, with as much enthusiasm.
Thank goodness there is always a book somewhere that suits our individual taste. I found All the Light ....very well written, but I liked the Guernsey Potato Peel Society a good read, but have friends that after a few chapters couldn't continue.

Many bought but few read.

Life is short, read what you enjoy. Not what other people tell you is enjoyable.

Sharon Absolutely, too many books out there to be struggling with one that isn't enjoyable :) ...more
Sep 21, 2015 02:14PM · flag