message 1: by Lilith (new)

Lilith | 802 comments Mod
Starting Saturday, August 22nd!

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Heffner | 1076 comments Mod
Yes!

message 3: by Deborah (new)

So I am going to try my best to eat completely vegetarian while reading this book. I eat very little meat so I think I can do it. I feel so good when I eliminate meat from my diet.

message 4: by Lilith (new)

I'd like to say I'll be vegan while reading this book but I can't!! It's too hard!! Even though I feel that almost all the time I eat 95% vegan as it is...there are still those little things...milk in coffee, sour cream MMmmm, the occasional non-vegan dessert I make...haha! MAYBE some day..=p hah probably not!

message 5: by Deborah (new)

So I need to open the book and start reading it. I did eat no meat today and even had the vegan option at Chipotle, but added cheese and sour cream (MOO!) I just went grocery shopping and got some vegan option breakfast meat to eat this weekend. I can't commit to eating vegan, but I can definitely commit to eating no meat. I am making vegetarian fajitas for dinner, I am stry frying some onions and zucchini as we speak.

message 6: by Deborah (new)

I just read the first chapter. I always thought chicken was healthier than chicken. Boy was I wrong. Herbert's story was pretty amazing. He got his life back by changing his diet.

message 7: by Lilith (new)

I finished the book. You always thought chicken was healthier than chicken, eh? ACTUALLY, they're exactly the same!! Believe it or not!! teeheehee! =P

It's so amazing what Gene and Lori Bauston did with the farm sanctuary, how they're so proactive and involved. And it's so cute that they named all the animals! I love the story about the chickens Ruby and Paula and how Ruby protects Paula.

I find it interesting how they talk about milk and how as a child, you stop producing an enzyme called lactase to break down the lactose in milk, so as you grow up your body stops digesting it easily.

At some point in the book, it says "The higher incidence of common cancers and other "affluent" diseases, the reasearchers found, tend to occur in richer, more urban areas of China where income and lifestyles allow for more meat, oil and animal protein consumption"...It soudns exactly like the book China Study I read!

message 8: by Deborah (last edited Aug 24, 2015 05:09PM) (new)

I am about half way done. Those poor chickens being debeaked!! Cows eating cows!!

message 9: by Lilith (new)

I know..when I read the part about the chickens being debeaked I couldn't believe it. It was so upsetting! I can't believe there aren't laws for this kindve bullshit and they get away with it. Absolutely awful.

message 10: by Deborah (new)

Overall it was not a bad read, but like Lilith mentioned it would have been nice to have more information on nutrition. I think anybody who has any interest in veganism is already aware of the animal cruelty involved. But again it doesn't touch on the more ethical humane farms that treat animals with a bit more respect. For me the book reinforced the effects animal products can have on your body.

message 11: by Deborah (new)

So I did a search on vegan lifestyle books and the one that popped up first was Alicia Silverstone's book. I have it it on my Kindle app. As I recall hers is more about nutrition and lifestyle and not about the slaughterhouses. I think if we can find a good lifestyle book that touches on nutrition and lifestyle I would be interested in reading that.

message 12: by Lilith (new)

Alicia Silverstone ate her baby's placenta after she gave birth!

message 13: by Deborah (new)

Lilith wrote: "Alicia Silverstone ate her baby's placenta after she gave birth!"

Ewww she also chewed up the food for her baby in her mouth before feeding him.

message 14: by Lilith (new)

oh yes!! I had forgotten about that!! Hahahaha!!!