Mississippi Writers discussion

Good locations in MS for Book Signings

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Hyman (thatstorygirl) | 6 comments I've recently had a book signing at the Corinth Artist's Guild Gallery in Corinth, MS and was wondering if any of the rest of you MS authors had some recommendations on places to call to set up a book signing. Getting ourselves noticed is HUGE to unknown artists and, if anybody has a place where they got a great response, I'd love to hear about it!

message 2: by Deidre (new)

Deidre Ann (caulbearer) | 1 comments I haven't tried any MS places...the subject matter of my book is a very dark secret place, and although non-fiction, I do not feel the audiences would be accepting, so don't bother....lol...they do have Barnes and Nobles in Orange Grove, now known as part of Gulfport, MS...and also in Biloxi I believe there is a franchise...do not know much about it...good luck to you though, any way you market your book!

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryann13) | 2 comments Our Friends of the Library (Pontotoc) often host writers for book signings, but the turnout is usually very small.

message 4: by Nick (new)

Nick (nick_wilgus) | 1 comments The Barnes and Noble in Tupelo is very welcoming to local authors.

message 5: by R. (new)

R. Dewitt (rlynndewitt) | 1 comments Square Books in Oxford is a great place for book signings and I went to several signings at the Pontotoc Library. There is a comic-con type of event coming to Tupelo soon and one in Jackson as well. Both were looking for writers to set up booths. There is also an adorable bookstore in Brandon called Bay Window Books that has some great talent often. They really do well at promoting the authors. I hope this helps!

message 6: by Aretha (new)

Aretha Renia (aretharenia) | 2 comments Mod
I know it can be hard to find places to do book signings, but you don't have to necessarily have a book signing at a book store. Signing parties are good way to promote your books. You can have them in your home, at your church (depending on subject matter), and any other place that you can find. I have seen people rent community centers for their book parties, These places are either free or low cost venues that many people overlook. The key is to be sure to give your audience plenty notice, remind them about the event, and promote your event in the local newspaper, on local radio stations, etc...

I am getting ready to have a book signing party at my church soon. It's free, and once promoted, it looks like it may end up being a great event. I will have a local cook prepare the refreshments and leave their business card to help promote their business as well. If you know a local baker who needs to drum up some business, this would be a good way for you to work in conjunction with them to promote your book and their culinary skills. I hope this helps!

message 7: by Kara (new)

Kara Bachman (karamartinezbachman) | 1 comments It's been a while since this topic was posted, but I see no one mentioned Turnrow Books in Greenwood. It's a great store that really supports local and regional authors--probably the best place for book signings in the Delta region.

message 8: by Kendall (new)

Kendall | 6 comments Self-published authors can get a table at the Mississippi Book Festival's Author Alley. I'm sure there is a fee, but it ought to be worth it for the exposure and chance to sell books to a large crowd.
msbookfestival.com