The County Library discussion

General > Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 988 comments I was surprised when you started a section highlighting new music titles, give this is a site for reading. But if it meets a patron need .... Still, I don't give a toot and twang (pun intended) about music. How about listing new movies, breaking it down by topic like you do for music. If we are straying from the written word, how about something additional for the movie buffs among us?

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 371 comments Mod
Debbie wrote: "I was surprised when you started a section highlighting new music titles, give this is a site for reading. But if it meets a patron need .... Still, I don't give a toot and twang (pun intended) ab..."

Interesting idea, Debbie! I'll run it by the movie selectors and see if anyone wants to do it. We are in the midst of changing those positions, so it might be a while before anyone is ready to take on a new project, but I'll let them know you suggested it.

Thanks!

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 988 comments This seemed the best place to post this for readers mostly in the Salt Lake County area. Salt Lake Community College Markosian Library (Redwood Branch) is removing the vast majority of it's fiction collection by having a book sale. Fiction, not literature. Here you will find books by authors such as Grafton, Patterson, Evanovich, Modesitt, Steele, and a wide variety of other authors in almost all genres. Sorry, no Stephen King, he's in literature. Books cost twenty-five cents each. But the library does not take credit cards (yet) so bring cash. Also, on Saturdays, parking in the visitor lot is free. The sale will go another week, so hurry if fiction is your thing.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bethsmash) | 844 comments Mod
Thanks for letting us know Debbie!

message 5: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 370 comments The online fee payment system has not worked for a couple years now. Is that going to get fixed?

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 442 comments Audrey wrote: "The online fee payment system has not worked for a couple years now. Is that going to get fixed?"

To pay fines online? I've not had a problem using it.

message 7: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 370 comments I’m using Chrome. Could that be the problem? Every time I try to pay, I get an error.

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 442 comments I'm using Chrome too. Maybe try clearing cookies on your browser?

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 988 comments I had bunches of trouble early on using Chrome for lots of things on the library site so I just use Firefox for that. That works so well, I've no reason to try Chrome again. But I agree with Britt. It does sound like errant cookies out of control.

message 10: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 370 comments I deleted all cookies, but it still doesn’t work.

message 11: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 988 comments Audrey wrote: "I deleted all cookies, but it still doesn’t work."

Try it out on Firefox.

message 12: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 370 comments Is anybody else getting overdue notices days after returning stuff?

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Audrey,

We are quarantining items for at least 3 days after they are returned, due to COVID-19, but we are backdating the items to the date they were returned. If the quarantine period and the notice period overlap, you may receive an erroneous notice.

message 14: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 988 comments I had one for an ILL I had out, but I knew I'd returned it the day it was due so ignored it. I checked 4 days later and it was still charged to me. I waited another day and it was checked in. It was across a weekend so that explains the check in delay. I was not charged a fine.

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 442 comments I've been charged fines, but I presume they'll be fixed. I just check back every so often.

message 16: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 370 comments I was getting worried about fines accruing.

message 17: by Linda (last edited Jul 04, 2020 05:21PM) (new)

Linda | 187 comments I assumed that since the books have to be in quarantine for 3 days that any fines that might accrue would be erased when the books were actually checked in. I have not check on any fines I might have. I will have to look.

Update: I have not accrued any new fines and my old fine has not increased.

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Linda wrote: "I assumed that since the books have to be in quarantine for 3 days that any fines that might accrue would be erased when the books were actually checked in. I have not check on any fines I might ha..."

Your assumption is correct. We are backdating the books you turn in, when we check them in, to account for the quarantine period.

message 19: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 370 comments Also (sorry), I can't find a way to schedule a pickup online anymore. Did that change, or I am losing it?

message 20: by Kemi (new)

Kemi | 6 comments Audrey, I know they were having issues with scheduling earlier this week. I think (I hope!) it's just a temporary setback.

message 21: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 988 comments A friend told me the calendar is not functioning. A librarian told her that when she phoned the library. The librarian scheduled her pickup for her. So right now, phone 801-943-4636.

message 22: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Thayn (ellethayn) | 34 comments Mod
Debbie is right! Please call Customer Service at 801.943.4636 and they can schedule a pickup for you.

message 23: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 370 comments Ah. Thank you.

message 24: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 988 comments I called later this afternoon and the poor librarian sounded just dragged through the bushes. I commiserated quickly with her, saying I was sure they needed the calendar fixed. I know others are probably harping at them. She said they hoped the calendar would be fixed next week. I bet all the staff who are working the phones are going home with cauliflower ears! Poor things. County library folke on here, please let all your staff know how very much we appreciate having library access again. How much we appreciate all the hard work you all are doing in an environment you never anticipated. I know some libraries were considering some level of curbside service, but not like this! Stay safe everyone.

message 25: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 370 comments I called the number on the website that it said to call, and the computer menu said to call customer service to schedule, and I thought that's what I was calling, so I stayed on the line, and it seemed to be the right number after all. So just ignore the confusing message.

My husband is betting somebody tried to install an update that ended up crashing the online scheduler.

message 26: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 988 comments Library systems are far more complex than anyone who hasn't worked with them can fathom. And because they are so complex, an update of any portion can have unexpected consequences in other portions. So your husband may well be right. And it might not have even been an update to the scheduler!

message 27: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 370 comments It's okay; I'm just happy to have access to a library.

message 28: by Debbie (last edited Jul 13, 2020 11:05AM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 988 comments The calendar for pickups is working again. They've added a section on why you are making the appointment, only one of the reasons of choice is to pick up a hold. The one that struck me the most was the telescope parts.

So, Audrey, give your husband a high five and a big grin from me!

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

The calendar for scheduling curbside is back up! Yay! So, if you have a hold you need to pick up you can either visit thecountylibrary.org and click on the curbside section, or call our main customer service number 801-943-4636.

message 30: by Debbie (last edited Jul 16, 2020 10:08AM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 988 comments I'd like to suggest the County Hold Pickup process consider going the way of the City (specifically Day-Riverside) -- not requiring appointments. Of course, some alterations in procedure and signs would be needed. With the City when you get to the library and pull into a slot, you phone to let them know you are there and which slot you are in. They then bring the materials out to you. They don't have someone sitting outside all the time in case someone might show up. There is also not the downside of the rare no-show. The City does still provide for making appointments, for those who prefer that, but I bet that won't last long.

Of course, I don't know what organization there is on the inside of the library to accomplish this. BUT, we are moving into our tradition "monsoon" season with occasional heavy rain that lasts for 15 min but threatens throughout the day. And, the way this virus is going, you simply cannot have those folks sitting outside come November, even assuming we get a nice long traditional fall. But what if we don't.

I admit my request is totally self serving. I am occasionally one of those rare no-shows or one who gets there a tad tardy, but close enough to be accommodated. But .... please? Pretty please? Pretty please with whipped cream and a cherry on top?

message 31: by Elizabeth (new)

Debbie,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will pass it up the line.

message 32: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 370 comments I don't have the technology to call from my car. I'd be out.

message 33: by Debbie (last edited Jul 16, 2020 11:31PM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 988 comments I wonder how the city deals with that. There must be a way. One would think. Their pattern has always been to call when you get there -- at Day Riverside anyway. Main library may be different with the underground parking garage.

Thanks for mentioning that complication, Audrey. Cell phone are so all over the place, one tends to forget not everyone has access to one. They have a chat capability. I'll ask tomorrow how they handle that.

message 34: by Elizabeth (new)

Starting Monday, you can either book a Curbside appointment, like we are currently doing, or an Inside Express appointment, where you can go inside to pickup your holds. The libraries will also have some displays of materials for limited browsing. Computers and Copy Machines are UNAVAILABLE at this time.

message 35: by Debbie (last edited Jul 18, 2020 08:46AM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 988 comments Cool. And, for inside, masks required, right? Pass my thanks up the line. This appointment business was making me nuts. I'm just not wired for appointments for something that will take just a moment to do.

message 36: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 988 comments The City's method of handling Audrey's type of issue is that either she could phone before she comes to be sure they know when she will arrive and they could keep a lookout for her (not great). Or she could knock on the door (less great). Or, with an appointment, she could flag down a staff member who is delivering materials to another patron. (middlin great). I like County's idea better. Perhaps City will follow suit. But at least now I don't need to worry about poor library staff sitting out shivering in the cold November weather!

message 37: by Elizabeth (new)

Debbie wrote: "Cool. And, for inside, masks required, right? Pass my thanks up the line. This appointment business was making me nuts. I'm just not wired for appointments for something that will take just a momen..."

Masks are required, and Inside Express still requires an appointment, just to be clear.

message 38: by Debbie (last edited Jul 19, 2020 01:35PM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 988 comments Oh. Well, that's not much better for me, but at least I don't need to worry about staff getting drenched in a rainstorm nor frozen in November! Will they make the arrival window wider, say 30 min instead of 15?

message 39: by Elizabeth (new)

Right now the Curbside appointments are 20 minutes and the Inside Express appointments are 10. I don't know if that will change or not.

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 442 comments Debbie wrote: "Oh. Well, that's not much better for me, but at least I don't need to worry about staff getting drenched in a rainstorm nor frozen in November! Will they make the arrival window wider, say 30 min i..."

Based on the limited browsing selection I saw at my inside appointment, you don't really need longer. I believe you can also only have 2 people? The browsing selection I saw was geared more towards kids, but even if I had one of my kids with me we wouldn't have needed much more than 10 minutes.

message 41: by Debbie (last edited Jul 23, 2020 07:53AM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 988 comments Will we be able to drop off books inside or will that still be restricted to outside book drops only?

message 42: by Elizabeth (new)

There should be a book drop available inside. We will still be quarantining items for 3 days.

message 43: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 988 comments I have never liked using the outside bookdrops. Too many bad experiences.

message 44: by Elizabeth (new)

I have been corrected. Not every library will have access to an inside book drop. You'll need to check with the branch you attend. I apologize for the confusion.