SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

Member Chat > What was the first scifi/fantasy book you ever read?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by S. (new)

S. Nileson | 53 comments For me it was the Lord of the Rings. I was twelve at the time.

message 2: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Taylor (christopher_taylor) | 1 comments It was a book about a group of folks that were in a nuclear shelter that were on level 7 and what happened to them after the shelter was sealed. Awesome read, which I could remember the author and title, I read the paperback in the early 60's.

message 3: by S. (new)

S. Nileson | 53 comments Christopher wrote: "It was a book about a group of folks that were in a nuclear shelter that were on level 7 and what happened to them after the shelter was sealed. Awesome read, which I could remember the author and..."

Do you think if your first experience with the genre was negative it would stop you from reading any more of it?

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 418 comments It depends on how you define fantasy, I was probably reading The Faraway Tree Stories by the time I was six ;-)

But the first fantasy/SF book I purchased with my own money was Jack Vance, The Dragon Masters
Blew me away and told me that there are no hard boundaries to genre

message 5: by Steven (new)

Steven Pease (stevenallanpease) | 1 comments My first sci-fi book I read was called Star Man's Son, 2250 A.D. by Andre Norton (Harcourt, Brace, 1952). After reading this book as a kid I blew my allowance all the time to get another Andre Norton paperback. When I could afford hardback books it was the first one I ordered.

message 6: by S. (new)

S. Nileson | 53 comments It seems that everyone who posted here had a good first experience. I wonder if - rather hope for that - those who didn't like their first sff contact would bother sharing their thoughts.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim | 418 comments S. wrote: "It seems that everyone who posted here had a good first experience. I wonder if - rather hope for that - those who didn't like their first sff contact would bother sharing their thoughts."

I wonder how many people who didn't enjoy SFF would continue and be in this group?

message 8: by Massimo (new)

Massimo Marino | 34 comments For me it was one of the Asimov's stories on the I, Robot series.

Either "Liar!" or "Runaround" - My dad received "Astounding Stories" at home.

message 9: by S. (new)

S. Nileson | 53 comments Jim wrote: "S. wrote: "It seems that everyone who posted here had a good first experience. I wonder if - rather hope for that - those who didn't like their first sff contact would bother sharing their thoughts..."

Good point. Should post this in a general thread

message 10: by L. (new)

L. Gibbs (ldgibbs) Since I started with the letter A on the shelf, it was probably Poul Anderson, and likely The Corridors of Time.

message 11: by Roberta (new)

Roberta Biallas (bobbiebiallas) Anne McCaffrey's Dragonsong! I was 10 years old. Haven't stopped reading since then.

message 12: by Bob (new)

Bob Lee (boblee333) | 32 comments One of the Burroughs' Tarzan novels, which then led me into reading his John Carter of Mars books.

message 13: by Roberta (new)

Roberta Biallas (bobbiebiallas) Great books. I inherited my Gramdmother's first editions of the Tarzan books. She loved to read.

message 14: by Gaines (last edited Oct 07, 2015 01:29PM) (new)

Gaines Post (gainespost) | 61 comments A Spell for Chameleon, when I was twelve. It was also the first novel I ever read of my own volition (as opposed to school reading, etc).

message 15: by Roberta (new)

Roberta Biallas (bobbiebiallas) Great book! I grew up in Florida, so Xanth was special to me. Castle Roogna was my favorite.

message 16: by Bob (new)

Bob Lee (boblee333) | 32 comments I also loved the Xanth books (even though I read them as an adult).

message 17: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 20 comments ooh I actually can't recall. I read a lot out of my age range and was reading books since age 3. :\ ain't no telling ehe :3

message 18: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Pett | 15 comments Probably The Machine Stops, which we may have read in school. I think I went on to Foundation or I Robot, and then into Clarke and Heinlein, but I'm talking 60s, too!

message 20: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 20 comments I read a lot of Bradbury Heinlein McCaffrey & Lackey and a bunch more pulp no longer in print. I used to get books from a college prep school and it was a bunch of books from the 1910s to the 60s while my local library had stuff from the 70s to what was then current (mid 90s). that's a lot of books to get into especially if you have no friends XD

message 21: by Marcus Peterson (new)

Marcus Peterson | 2 comments The first "fantasy" book I remember reading was called "Half Magic" - I think I was in 5th grade.

I loved the Xanth books - read the first 7-8 anyway. I think Dragon on a Pedestal was the last I read.

message 22: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Pett | 15 comments K.P. wrote: "I read a lot of Bradbury Heinlein McCaffrey & Lackey and a bunch more pulp no longer in print. I used to get books from a college prep school and it was a bunch of books from the 1910s to the 60s w..."
Your libraries sound like mine, except I'm not sure the school library even had those :)

message 23: by V.B. (new)

V.B. Winkler | 9 comments At about 12 I went through about half the Tarzan series, then in college someone turned me on to Doc Smith's Lensmen, and then someone else convinced me that Star Trek was NOT Lost in Space and therefore worth watching... My reading is pretty eclectic, but I still love a good scifi yarn.

message 24: by Jevon (new)

Jevon Knights (jevonknights) | 40 comments Journey to the Centre of the Earth. Think I was 11, or was it 10.

message 25: by Gaines (new)

Gaines Post (gainespost) | 61 comments Marcus wrote: "I loved the Xanth books - read the first 7-8 anyway...."

Yeah, they kinda got a bit um... well, for lack of nicer words, weird & pervy at around book 9 or 10 or so. I lost interest. But I loved the first several :-)

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim | 418 comments hey, until you've read any of the Gorean books, you ain't seen weird or pervy :-)

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldiack) | 7 comments Redwall by Brian Jacques. Loved it as a child, still read it now as an adult.

message 28: by Jim (new)

Jim | 418 comments Michael wrote: "Redwall by Brian Jacques. Loved it as a child, still read it now as an adult."

I read my daughters copies, obviously to check they were suitable :-)

message 29: by Roberta (new)

Roberta Biallas (bobbiebiallas) It's funny, I was just telling my boyfriend about the Redwall books last week. We were watching sparrows at the bird feeder and it reminded me of the pugnacious birds from those books.

message 30: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) | 9 comments First ever was a story called borgel by Daniel pinkwater --- my first adult fantasy was something by Neil Hancock (circle of light series I believe). Then I moved right into sword of shannara --- I was born in 1970 so there wasn't as much fantasy available at my local walden books as there is now

message 31: by Gaines (new)

Gaines Post (gainespost) | 61 comments The Shannara books were epic :-)

Redwall? Worth a read?

message 32: by Roberta (new)

Roberta Biallas (bobbiebiallas) The Redwall books are very good. If you liked Shannara, you might give Tad Williams a try. His 'Green Angel Tower' books are very good. There's also David Eddings books.

message 33: by Bob (new)

Bob Lee (boblee333) | 32 comments I never read "Redwall" but when my son was little they ran a great cartoon version of it. I have some fuzzy copies of the episodes on VCR that I taped off the airways (the was pre cable here). If it is every on again, it is really worth watching. I just checked and it looks like Amazon has them on DVD for sale.

message 34: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Davies I read the redwall collection when my children were younger. I bought them for ny daughter to read. She enjoyed them and so did I. I was more into horror when I was younger and read most of the early Stephen King and Shaun Hutson books. Then read war of the worlds, and my favourite books of all time Lord of the Rings

message 35: by Gaines (last edited Oct 25, 2015 03:07PM) (new)

Gaines Post (gainespost) | 61 comments Roberta wrote: "If you liked Shannara, you might give Tad Williams a try.' books are very good. There's also David Eddings books."

Omg, I totally forgot about Tad Williams! I LOVED his books. Starting with The Dragonbone Chair. Really great imagination and a superb writer! I also read Tailchaser's Song and enjoyed it :-)

message 36: by Michael (new)

Michael | 18 comments It's been so long, I don't remember for sure. I'm going to say it was either War of the Worlds or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea as my dad had both those in his own library when I was a kid. I was probably 10-11 at the time.

message 37: by John (new)

John Mills (johnrobertmills) | 2 comments Does 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' count?

T. K. Elliott (Tiffany) (t_k_elliott) | 19 comments John wrote: "Does 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' count?"

I should say so - as far as I'm aware, pictures don't do that in the real world. Or do I only think that because I've never had a painted portrait of myself? :-)

message 39: by Robert (new)

Robert Salisbury | 1 comments I think my first was Alice in Wonderland. Other early ones I can remember are Charles Kingsley's The Water Babies and The Hobbit.

message 40: by Bob (new)

Bob Lee (boblee333) | 32 comments John wrote: "Does 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' count?"

I read the Picture of Dorian Gray earlier this year for the first time. I was very disappointed with it. The picture doesn't seem to really play a part until the very end. So I would say most of the story is not sci-fi until the last page or so.

message 41: by John (new)

John Mills (johnrobertmills) | 2 comments It's a strange book. Wilde would have been more preoccupied with questions of beauty and immortality than anything else. I believe it was more a case of speculative fiction being a handy conduit for his ideas on these concepts, rather than him having any desire to explore fantasy or science-fiction. I would be curious to know what he thought of Wells and Verne though. In any case, these ideas were all very new at the time.

message 42: by J. (new)

J. Madison (jrutgermadison) | 2 comments The Hobbit

message 43: by Scott (new)

Scott Nicholson (scottnicholson) | 21 comments Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5.

message 44: by John (new)

John Triptych | 10 comments The first "adult" novel that I ever read that had a sci-fi flavor to it was Lost on Venus, by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

message 45: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Hauck (michelle4laughs) | 6 comments My first SFF was a paperback of The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. We were on a vacation to Iowa to visit my grandmother and there wasn't much else to do. I was hooked.

message 46: by Roberta (new)

Roberta Biallas (bobbiebiallas) Terry Brooks' novels are indeed very enjoyable.

message 47: by Roberta (new)

Roberta Biallas (bobbiebiallas) Terry Brooks' novels are indeed very enjoyable.

message 48: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Hauck (michelle4laughs) | 6 comments Roberta wrote: "Terry Brooks' novels are indeed very enjoyable."

I believe I've read most of them. I'm intrigued by the new show on MTV of Shannara. I guess it starts January 5th. I hope I remember to watch it.

message 49: by Les (new)

Les  | 2 comments The first in the Dragonlance series by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickham when I was 15 at the time.

message 50: by Soren (new)

Soren Murdock | 3 comments Good question!

I think it was the Hobbit and then LOTR for fantasy though I was very much into Fighting Fantasy as a kid. Can we count Marvel Superhero comics and 2000AD?

As for sci fi books, in adult life it was Stanislaw Lem's Solaris. Ahh, I vaguely recall that as a boy I read something called 'The Healer'.

« previous 1