Fringe Fiction discussion

Fringe Fiction General Chat > How do you feel about spoilers?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katheryn (new)

Katheryn Avila (katheryn_avila) I was just wondering. For me, some spoilers only make me want to read more. Even with TV shows and movies - if someone gives me the *right* spoiler, it'll only make me want to start the TV show/watch the movie more. Even knowing how something ends doesn't put me off from the story - it just makes me wonder how they got to that point.

My sister's of a different opinion - she avoids them like the plague. Curious what everyone here thinks.

message 2: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 1890 comments Mod
I have a very serious definition of spoilers because people don't always know the difference between an enticing presentation and GIVING AWAY EVERYTHING WORTHWHILE!

message 3: by Katheryn (new)

Katheryn Avila (katheryn_avila) I don't mind if someone gives away one or two things worthwhile, as long as there's still at least one question left unanswered (and if there isn't I'll still want to watch/read). Like, if someone had told me, before finishing the Harry Potter series, that Snape turned out to be a good guy, I wouldn't have minded. There's still so much left to take in.

message 4: by Kitiera (new)

Kitiera Morey | 10 comments It depends on the book for me. If I really want to read the story, I avoid spoilers. But if I'm not very interested, I don't care.

message 5: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Wall (goodreadscomnathanwall) | 182 comments Katheryn wrote: "Like, if someone had told me, before finishing the Harry Potter series, that Snape turned out to be a good guy, I wouldn't have minded. There's still so much left to take in. "

What the %#@&? You completely ruined that for me. $#!^.....

message 6: by Courtney (new)

Actually this effects my book buying a lot. If I read a blurb that tells me too specifically what to expect from the plot rather than the premise, I pass.

I've seen a sad amount which basically describe sum up the first third of a book's twists and character quirks.

message 7: by Katheryn (new)

Katheryn Avila (katheryn_avila) Nathan wrote: "Katheryn wrote: "Like, if someone had told me, before finishing the Harry Potter series, that Snape turned out to be a good guy, I wouldn't have minded. There's still so much left to take in. "

Wh..."

Lol - Darth Vader is also Luke's father...

message 8: by Katheryn (new)

Katheryn Avila (katheryn_avila) Courtney wrote: "Actually this effects my book buying a lot. If I read a blurb that tells me too specifically what to expect from the plot rather than the premise, I pass.

I've seen a sad amount which basically ..."

I do agree that the blurb/back of the book shouldn't have spoilers, since it is supposed to make the reader impulsively want to know more.

But, if someone is trying to get me to read a book they really really really like, I won't go anywhere near it (if the blurb isn't enough) unless they give me a good spoiler that makes it sound interesting.

message 9: by Courtney (new)

Yeah, some are specific like telling you a character's job and who betrays them by setting them up for a crime and then they meet another character who knows about a such and such elsewhere they need to locate in order to save the world and clear thr character's name.

message 10: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 506 comments I'm with Katheryn. If someone tries to push me too hard to read something, I'll probably pass unless the blurb and reviews intrigue me enough. (That'd be good blurb, but reviews, I don't care. Some bad reviews are just as enticing if not more than good ones. :P )

message 11: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 506 comments Oh and yes Courtney. Keep the blurb to the minimum. I want to know a bit about the protagonist, which hopefully will tell me the genre of the book, but I don't want to know everything that will happen. I prefer to know how it all started and that's it. :P

Even some goals can be tricky. For example: Will they be able to save the world? Well, already, I have a good idea that they will and if they don't, I'll probably think I wasted my time. So I prefer not knowing that part then. :>

♥️♥️ Lanae ♥️♥️  (ramboramblernae) Reading One star reviews FIRST has saved me plenty of time on a few occasions when I've been on the fence. That's the beauty of reviewers who use the (view spoiler) tags lol. You can decide if you want to see the main reason they gave the book one star

message 13: by Courtney (new)

I'm always so mixed with 1 star reviews. Half are so hateful and read like the ravings of a psychotic crank out to destroy an author's career and the rest just seem like it was a bad match.

Now I do duck and run if I see red flags like terrible grammar, crap formatting, obnoxious/weak/whiny characters or emphasis on lazy world building/contrived plots.

Really, though, I tend to avoid reviews individually when picking a book and more see what the average census is for fear of spoilers.

For instance if a book averages 3 stars or less I tend to pass. It's either average or polarizing with a lot of negative/revenge reviews by irate readers who were set off by the faux glowing ones from the author's friends/family hoodwinking their purchase.

♥️♥️ Lanae ♥️♥️  (ramboramblernae) I also go by the LIKES of the 1 star reviews. If there's a lot of people agreeing THEN I read it to see what's what. I actually LOVE the passion even if they hate it because unless you're dealing with a miserable human being out to ruin a career, if you click on their profile you're bound to see 3-5 star reviews with the same amount, if not MORE passion. Ranters tell it like they see it which is what I want. I'm less likely to read a book after a bunch of 5 star reviews with nothing but GIFS and fangirl'ing with no actual insight

petty reviews are easy to spot for this reader lol)

message 15: by Courtney (new)

Oh yeah - ignore haters recruiting more haters lol

Funny, though, I finds the worse reviews spoil much less than rave onesm. It's more general, like the plot/mc is ridiculous, but when they do get specific it's generally something that sounds pretty awful to read and makes me back slowly away while shaking my head.

message 16: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 506 comments I don't really go by likes. Some people will like a one star review because something in the review made them either buy the book or skip the book and 'save' money. Doesn't mean it's actually true.

message 17: by Angel (new)

Angel | 28 comments I hate spoilers, let me find out on my own. As far as 1 and 2 star reviews or whatever. I don't look at them because it's just an opinion, which I don't care to take into account when I read/review a book.

message 18: by ♥️♥️ Lanae (last edited Aug 18, 2015 12:48PM) (new)

♥️♥️ Lanae ♥️♥️  (ramboramblernae) I take LIKES as them agreeing with the review if it's an actual genuine review and not author bashing.

And the purpose of a review is to GIVE your opinion and that's pretty much what the goodreads community is about in my eye. But I prefer opinionated reviews that include facts or examples to explain why they did or did not enjoy. Sometimes I read a few one star reviews of a novel and then buy it anyway because it turns out what that reviewer hated is actually what I LOVE in a story.

Reviews give me a head up on love triangles and TSTL characters. And one of the biggest pet peeves is when the blurb tells potential readers about a heroine who's powerful, the key to saving this blah blah blah and then when I buy the book, she's pretty much standing there while the mysterious, hot love interest saves her bacon and tells her she's special and beautiful (which she totally doesn't believe until HE tells her). For every Lindsay Boxer (woman's murder club), Riley Jenson (Keri Arthur guardian series) and Damali Richards (VHL series) theirs about 5000000000 Mary Sue's

Reviews help me weed out potential let downs. If the blurb establishes a romance, I know to pass but if it boasts of heroics and girl power bad assery that's what I want. The goodreads community helps weed out the bad and find the good ones that actually support the blurb

I also follow or add reviewers whose opinions I've agreed with whether I took a risk reading a book anyway when they 1 starred it and hated it, too or I read a book they highly recommended and loved it.

Yes, Courtney we should all ignore the trolls. I can sort them from the people who are just really passionate and they get dramatic and animated when discussing characters and plots they disliked lol

message 19: by Lynne (last edited Aug 18, 2015 12:47PM) (new)

Lynne Stringer | 179 comments While I confess that I'm not beyond peeking at the last page of a book to make sure it turns out okay, it annoys me if someone else gives away a significant detail. I'd prefer to find those things out on my own. As an author, I immediately alert Goodreads if someone posts a review filled with spoilers without flagging it so that they can hide it. Having my own stories ruined makes me really mad.

message 20: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 1398 comments Mod
I'm the same way about spoilers as I am with surprises, don't tell me because I am a patient person and I can wait. Sometimes I read spoilers and depending on how I feel about what's being spoiled I tend to be either relaxed or bummed out because I wanted to find out for myself.

message 21: by Nick (new)

Nick | 4 comments I think if they're for the sole purpose to get you interested into whatever is being 'spoiled'. But more than likely a point in the direction is all I need. No words, just the point and maybe a nod. What I don't need is my drunken brother complaining about an entire plot to intricate detail leaving nothing to the imagination. But hey that's just me.

message 22: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 1398 comments Mod
I've found spoilers to be a lot more of "hey what the $#^%!" moments as of late. With social media and even people's blogs it seems you just simply can't go on anything anymore to read before you either watch or read it first. Otherwise your going to be spoiled and not in the good way.

message 23: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 232 comments I do not like spoilers. Not at all.

message 24: by Angel (new)

Angel | 28 comments I hate them.

message 25: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Louw | 11 comments I enjoy going into something fresh. If a blurb or a trailer reveals the opening beats, then I'm fine with that, but story progression should be saved, especially whatever goes on in the second act.

My friends know how much I hate spoilers and they've had to suffer more than a couple of my tirades on the topic. No, I really don't like spoilers.

message 26: by Bruce (new)

Bruce (bruce1984) | 8 comments I like spoilers. I actually read the plot of a movie before I watch it, and I'll page to the end of a book to find out what happens before I read it. I think it makes the experience much more enjoyable, knowing what to expect. I guess I'm strange!

message 27: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand With social media and even people's blogs it seems you just simply can't go on anything anymore to read before you e..."

I have this problem reading fanfiction for programs that come out of the US. Yeah, they put up spoiler warnings for the first week, but when it takes a few months for the program to cross the pond you either have to accept being spoiled or stop reading till the gap between seasons.

message 28: by Amber (new)

Amber Foxx (amberfoxx) | 287 comments I don't like spoilers. If I start with a later book in a series and the author gives away the solutions to some of the previous mysteries I'm not going to buy them. I ran across one series where a secret nemesis over many books turned out to be the protagonist's brother-in-law. I hadn't read the other books and in the one I was reading his identity was clear, but there was no reason in that plot to refer back to the whole "secret nemesis" stuff. I lost interest in all of the books.