The Read-a-Thon-ers discussion

Ghost Story
This topic is about Ghost Story
Ghost Story by Peter Straub > Ghost Story Prologue

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Graydon (new)

Graydon Panzica (graydon-panzica) | 29 comments Mod
Hey, guys! So, I haven't gotten very far, been super busy these past few weeks. But I've got the day off and am planning to make a pretty sizable dent today. I'm only a handful of pages into the prologue, and am wondering...is anyone else highly disturbed by the grown man-little girl situation? I'm sure we'll find out what exactly is going on...but if what I think is going on IS going on, then that is not at all what I expected from this book. Nor do I see how four young boys come to be involved with this.

Wow, that is one convoluted sentence if ever I saw one. Anyway, what do you guys think so far, based off this prologue? YAY or NAY?

Dustin | 25 comments It is good to know that I'm not that far behind, Jules. I'm still patiently waiting for my copy to arrive at the library..

message 3: by Graydon (new)

Oh, the library kills me with that. They always forget to call me when the book I want arrives >.<

Greg Boschen (gboschen) | 12 comments So far this book is a never ending source of wonder! It seems that very little is as it seems, and the writing style reflects that. The various story threads seem to be at odds with each other, but, for me, give the book that special unsettling quality that all good horror stories have. I also like the fact that Straub is not afraid to leave certain things vague and wispy.
My favorite line so far is "Could you talk to the people you meet in hallucinations, and would they answer back?".

message 5: by Graydon (new)

I think it's actually the writing style that's bothering me, because the story is interesting me. But I just feel like it's going really slow. I'm really bad with the mystery writing style, I get too impatient.

Dustin | 25 comments Julanne wrote: "Oh, the library kills me with that. They always forget to call me when the book I want arrives >.<"

I know, I hate it. Thankfully, my copy finally arrived. I just have to pick it up now.:) That really stinks that they forget to notify you. They e-mail me whenever a hold has arrived, which makes it nice. Maybe you could suggest your library does the same?

Dustin | 25 comments My favorite line so far is "Could you talk to the people you meet in hallucinations, and would they answer back?".

Oooh, I love this, Greg! Thanks for sharing. I suspect that this is just one of those stories that takes a bit of patience, but will totally be worth it in the end.

Greg Boschen (gboschen) | 12 comments My pleasure, Dustin :) If this is like the two other books by Straub that I read, it should be a good one. They were The Talisman and Black House, both written w/Stephen King. Both are part of a series, with a planed third book hopefully coming asap!

Dustin | 25 comments Yes, I've read The Talisman and Black House, along with The Hellfire Club, and enjoyed them very much. I'm definitely interested in his other work, and this is a great opportunity. Hopefully the final Jack Sawyer book is out next year!!

Happy reading, guys!

message 10: by Dustin (last edited Aug 22, 2015 01:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dustin | 25 comments I have my copy now and cannot wait to get started! I'm excited! How are you all coming along?

message 11: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg Boschen (gboschen) | 12 comments Dustin, that's awesome! The book is moving along nicely. It has some interesting observations about the writing process that link up well w/the books fixation on storytelling within the narrative. Btw, I'd be further along in my reading, but I was entertaining my 4 year old nephew this weekend. I'm back on track now though. Happy reading :)

Dustin | 25 comments Thanks, Greg.:) Unfortunately, I can't seem to read much of anything. I haven't even started this one...

message 13: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg Boschen (gboschen) | 12 comments It happens. There's always the next one. And, maybe you'll end up reading it some day anyway :)

Dustin | 25 comments Maybe. I doubt it.

Dustin | 25 comments No, forget that. I WILL read this one, and soon. I won't give up!

message 16: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg Boschen (gboschen) | 12 comments I'm glad. I hope you find something to enjoy in it when you do :)

message 17: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg Boschen (gboschen) | 12 comments I'm glad. I hope you find something to enjoy in it when you do :)

Dustin | 25 comments Greg wrote: "I'm glad. I hope you find something to enjoy in it when you do :)"

Oh man, I'm so sorry to have left you guys hanging...I just kind of disappeared. I still don't own the book, but I plan on ordering it soon. Greg, your five stars is an great site, and very encouraging, too! Did you write a review?

How are you, Jules?

message 19: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg Boschen (gboschen) | 12 comments Hi, Dustin! I didn't write a full review, but I shared some of my thoughts while waiting for everyone to finish. I probably should just write one anyway, lol The book's insights into friendship, and how unresolved conflicts can come back to haunt a person, really struck a cord w/me. Straub's writing style made the whole thing jell for me. I should point out that the book doesn't so much end w/things fully resolved. It just stops at what seems like a logical place to end it. I hope when you read it you enjoy it!

Dustin | 25 comments Hey, Greg! I will check it out, but I agree that you should write a full review. I'd definitely read it, too. I really appreciate your insight here.:)

Dustin | 25 comments Great news, guys! I finally ordered a copy of the book and Ghost Story should be here any day!

Dustin | 25 comments Woo-hoo, my hardcover copy arrived today, and it is beautiful! It's used, so there are a couple worn spots on the corners of the dust jacket, but overall, I love it. Here's the link to the one I have:

Ghost Story by Peter Straub

message 23: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg Boschen (gboschen) | 12 comments That's super-exciting, Dustin! Here's hoping I get a formal review up here soon. I've also been conspicuously absent from here for awhile, but I plan to change that once things slow down a bit after Christmas. Merry Christmas and see you all soon :)

Dustin | 25 comments Thank you very much, I cannot wait to get started!:) Once you do post your review, would you post the link to it here, so that we may read it? Happy New Year, y'all!!