The Book Vipers discussion

2015 Challenges > Group Challenge Read - September 2015 - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5462 comments Mod
Spoilers are allowed in this thread. Please unselect 'Add to my update feed' so other don't see your comments.
Things to consider:
1. Did you like the book?
2. Did you like or dislike the main characters?
3. Do the characters develop?
4. What did you think of the plot and the ending of the story?
5. Do you have any particular favourite quotes or scenes?
6. Would you read anything else by this author?
7. How did it compare to the film?

message 2: by Pink (new)

Pink I finished this today and have to say that I'm quite disappointed by the ending and the second half of the book in general. I found it much weaker than the start.

In answer to the questions -

1. Did you like the book? I liked the first half, but thought the second half was just okay.

2. Did you like or dislike the main characters? I didn't particularly like Rick and thought he was more of an idiot as things went on. I really liked John and Rachael but didn't get enough of them. I didn't think the other bounty hunter added much to the story and can't even remember what happened to him.

3. Do the characters develop? I think Rick develops, but not the others.

4. What did you think of the plot and the ending of the story? I found it very weak. I liked the beginning of the book and was intrigued by what would happen, but it just kind of faded away. I really didn't understand or like the use Mercerism or any of this element of the story.

5. Do you have any particular favourite quotes or scenes? The parts with John were probably my favourite, just his happiness from finding another person in his building and after he placed the vidcall and was pleased with himself. I found the scenes with the spider quite touching.

6. Would you read anything else by this author? Maybe.

7. How did it compare to the film? Don't know yet....

message 3: by Pink (new)

Pink Just reserved this at the library today - The Final Cut, which I believe is the one Ridley Scott had full control of after The Director's cut.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Pink wrote: "Just reserved this at the library today - The Final Cut, which I believe is the one Ridley Scott had full control of after The Director's cut."

I hope that you enjoy the film more than the book Pink.

Finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? over the weekend, and have finally finished my review: here

Superb. And un-nerving. Looking forward to the film this weekend.

message 5: by Pink (new)

Pink I'm expecting to enjoy the film a bit more. I didn't dislike the book by any means. It was good, but drifted into levels of just being ok for me. 2 stars is an okay book for me. Off to read your review now...

message 6: by Pink (new)

Pink Ok I watched the film, well I watched most of the film but turned it off with half an hour to go. It started out really well, but the moody lighting and soundtrack started to irritate me, then I got bored. I'm wondering how different this final version would be to the original one that was released. It was very much a Ridley Scott film, but his style of directing was so apparent that it was almost like a parody film to me. I actually preferred the book, it had more subtlety and I preferred the storyline to how things were altered in the film. There wasn't even any mention of how much Rick wanted to own an animal, which was such a feature of the book.

Paul, just pretend that you didn't read any of this ;)

message 7: by Paul (new)

Pink wrote: Paul, just pretend that you didn't read any of this ;) ..."

that's a shame Pink.

message 8: by Pink (new)

Pink Yes, but I'm still glad to have given both the book and film a try, you never know what you'll like otherwise!

message 9: by Paul (new)

Absolutely. Not everything suits everyone.

message 10: by Lisa (last edited Sep 25, 2015 02:19AM) (new)

Lisa (mrswhams) | 730 comments Mod
This was actually a great choice for this challenge as it is interesting to see how the ideas of the book translated into film, or not.

In the end I've only given the book 3 stars. Conceptually it is absolutely stunning and seminal, and deserves all the accolades, but the writing was just too... casual for me. I think Paul touched on it in his review as well – I don't think Dick's writing is... as poetic, I suppose, or eloquent, as it could be, given the huge concepts he is covering. It is a little bit too concise in parts, too, the plot gallops past major events without too much breathing space. It was weird going from All the Light We Cannot See to this as they are polar opposites - All the Light giving itself rather too much breathing space!

I think coming to Bladerunner now, as Pink did, would be quite hard. The film probably does feel a little parodic now, because it has been imitated so many times since. So massively influential on so many people. Viewing it again this week it seems a bit over-apocalyptic really - a bit OTT. It's also very Eighties, of course! However, I think the script has the element of poetry the book sadly lacks, and is tightened by not focusing on the religious elements or indeed the animals. Where it is not improved is with the love story - I preferred the 'bounty-hunter foiling' Rachael who trashed Deckard's goat to the lovelorn one of the film.

Was a really good comparison though, good challenge!

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mrswhams) | 730 comments Mod
Also, I meant to say: Roy Batty was set up to be quite a leader, and quite frightening in the book, but he was dispatched so quickly and resolutely by Deckard despite this. It's like the threat just wasn't really there? Whereas in the film, Baty is an amazing creation.

The book feels a bit underdeveloped in places, I think, Jason may be right that it should be a bit longer.

message 12: by Paul (new)

The film at the end gets quite philosophical too, and there is the implication that Deckard might be an android too.

message 13: by Pink (new)

Pink Paul, I wondered that about him the whole way through the book!

message 14: by Paul (new)

Finally got around to watching the film over the weekend. Still think it is a great film, and it is one of those seminal films that defined the look of many sci fi films after it too with the bleak and wet night sets.

However you can see that the tech has dated now (CRT screens when he is looking at the photo), and there are marked differences from the book. There is no Mercer religion, and the interactions with Rachel are not as deep either. The most significant part missing though is the electric animals, in particular the sheep that defined the books title.

Was quite a lot bloodier than I remember too, but the dramatic final scenes still sent a chill down my back.

message 15: by Pink (new)

Pink I was happy to see they'd cut Mercerism, but thought the electric sheep and importance of owning animals was crucial to the story.