GoodReviews: The Official Book Review Contest discussion

Rules & Suggestions > Post your suggestions for future GoodReviews books here

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicareading) | 19 comments Mod
Which books would you like to review in the coming months?

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellengeorge) | 1 comments Hi all!
What about The Ezekiel Code by Gary Val Tenuta
The Sidewalk Artist by Buonaguro and Kirk
Lupo: Conversations with an ET by Louise Aveni
Fatal Kidnapping by Tracy B. Evans
ellen george

message 3: by S.A. (new)

S.A. (suerule) | 2 comments Am I permitted to put forward my own book for review?

It's Shaihen Heritage Book I Cloak of Magic by S.A. Rule - a science fantasy set in a a kind of alternative Dark Ages.

It has received a number of reader reviews elsewhere, and I would like to know what the Good Reads group think of it. Quite prepared for brickbats as well as plaudits.

Sue

message 4: by Balaguri (new)

Balaguri | 2 comments are the three books in question the only ones that can be reviewed in the contest?

message 5: by Symbol (new)

Symbol | 2 comments Balaguri:
To my understanding, yes. You must write a review for one (or more) of the three choices provided.
Each month a new book is chosen for each category. So, if you don't like the picks this month, just wait 'til they change at the end of the month.
If you have a particular book in mind that you would like to be able to review for the contest, suggest it here.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicareading) | 19 comments Mod
Thanks, Symbol. You are exactly right. We will pick a new set of books each month, which is why we want to hear suggestions!

message 7: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 1 comments Well, I think the Harry Potter series might be good for consideration, simply because it might interset more people in participating, or atleast reading the reviews -- I also think that The Giver and Finding Blue by Louis Lowry are good books for thinking about putting on the table. They are easily available and good for starters, at any rate. Just some stuff to think about.

message 8: by Darcy (last edited Mar 04, 2008 09:30AM) (new)

Darcy A short story collection would be nice. Pastoralia, by George Saunders, is a satiric, witty, and yet also a really penetrating insight into contemporary American life.

Does that count as a review? ;)

For non-fiction, Joe Sacco's Palestine is a really different take on "journalism."

For classics, maybe The Moonstone, by Wilkie Collins? This was one of the first detective novels, but a lot of people haven't read it.

message 9: by Roshanak (new)

Roshanak | 2 comments For classics I would like to write reviews on Steinbeck's "The Pearl", and Kesey's "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest".

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 1 comments I think that the book I am reading right now, "A Prayer for Owen Meany" would be a great pick for a future GoodReview. It is a great book with lots of room for discussion.

message 11: by Balaguri (new)

Balaguri | 2 comments I think a review of a book of short stories would be very nice. how about the Collected short stories of Saki (H.H. Munro). There are all kinds of editions,
for instance The Complete Saki Twentieth-Century Classics

and you can also get much of it online from Gutenberg press

or as this is rather long we could focus on one of his collections, my favorite is Beasts and Super-Beasts. One advantage of choosing such a book that has a Gutenberg press 'edition' being that everyone can read it...

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Moran (authorkellymoran) When the Leaves Stop Falling, by Kelly Moran
Had to do it. New author here, gotta spread word. Plus I would love positive and negative feedback.
~K

message 13: by Karin (new)

Karin (kperry) I would love to see some Young Adult titles for review options. I am a school librarian and the Young Adult choices are amazing.

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim Ventrella (kimventrella) What about The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean? It won this year's Michael Printz award for young adult literature. Also, Repossessed by A.M. Jenkins was a Printz runner-up, and it is an awesome read.

message 15: by Oi Yin (new)

Oi Yin | 2 comments One of the Classics I'd love to revisit would be John Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath"...or Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle".

In terms of new fiction, perhaps Atonement...I've seen the movie and am rather disappointed I didn't get a chance to read the book beforehand. I've hear that the book is much better...as is generally the case. :-)

message 16: by Leonardo (new)

Leonardo | 1 comments I'd like to recommend "Thus Spoke Zarathustra: A Book for None and All" by Friedrich Nietzsche. I think this book is still quite polemic although published in the 19th century, and it would be very interesting to see many positive and negative reviews about it.

message 17: by Angela (new)

Angela Avery | 2 comments I recommend:
Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
Give A Boy A Gun by Todd Strasser
Any Jodi Picoult book

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) "Loving Frank" by Nanacy Horan, fiction.

message 19: by Kim (new)

Kim (durgin19) | 2 comments Twilight by Stephenie Meyers
The Giver by Lois Lowry
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue Watson | 1 comments last posted comment was 2008 that I can see - I just joined the group - is it still active?