Magical Book Club discussion

Archived > September - A Great and Terrible Beauty

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirstie (new)

Kirstie Ellen (kirstieellen) What did you think? Do you like the characters? Is there anything you didn't like? Do you think you'll read the rest of the series? Thoughts on the cover?

message 2: by Elizabeth *Book Lover*, Chief Fairy (new)

Elizabeth *Book Lover* | 445 comments Mod
I've barely started this book, but it captured me within the first few chapters. I love the elements of A Little Princess. A girl from India going to a boarding school in England.

message 3: by Kirstie (new)

Kirstie Ellen (kirstieellen) I'm so excited to start this - going to read it once I've finished the book I'm currently reading :)

message 4: by Elizabeth *Book Lover*, Chief Fairy (new)

What are you currently reading?

message 5: by Kirstie (new)

Kirstie Ellen (kirstieellen) Elizabeth *Book Lover* wrote: "What are you currently reading?"

Queen of Shadows (eeep, so good)

message 6: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 386 comments So I don't know how many times I've read this book and its subsequent ones - I'm enchanted and enamoured by it every time! Gemma, Pip, Fee and Ann are four of my favourite fictional characters ever! I truly can't wait to devour the rest of the book! I hope everyone enjoys it :)

message 7: by Kirstie (new)

Kirstie Ellen (kirstieellen) I started it on the train this morning, guys! What a grumpy young lady!

message 8: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 386 comments Gemma always strikes me as a most interesting character within the prologue and further on in the story. (:

message 9: by Elizabeth *Book Lover*, Chief Fairy (new)

Those first three chapters were so intense though.

message 10: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 386 comments Oh, they are! It still makes me gasp :O

message 11: by Kirstie (new)

Kirstie Ellen (kirstieellen) Just realised I finished the book and 100% forgot to leave some thoughts here! How silly of me :p

I have to say, I quite like this book. I was surprised with what I'm deciding to call the flavour of the book - I thought, and this is purely based off the cover, that there wouldn't be any setting in India and that our protagonist(s) would be a bit older. It was quite a quick read too because of all the unexpected hocus pocus which was pretty cool. But, I think the main thing that had me half in love with this was how much is felt like Jane Eyre. I'm a big fan of Jane Eyre and, if any of you have read it, you'll know (I hope) what I mean about how the convent the girls are at feels so similar to where Jane is at the start of the book. What about you, do you guys agree?