What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Cats book, pre 1990s, mischievous kittens, drawn in panel style

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (last edited Aug 18, 2015 10:27AM) (new)

Andrea Trenary | 5 comments There was a book called Cats (I believe), it was a hardback it had drawing of cats on the cover (not in color I don't think) and the border was a yellowy gold (at least our copy was - we got it at a library sale, it was probably from the 70s if I wagered a guess, but we read it when I was maybe around 5? So 1989 or so). Each page had like a sentence, and the opposite page had drawings, comic panel style (black and white) kind of with no words with these kittens doing all sorts of things like eating plants and my Grandfather (he's passed now) would read it to me and make up stories and voices for all the cats. I've never found it again, I don't think I ever will, I get emotional thinking about it. Please help if you can.

I don't think it was part of a series but I honestly don't know, I only remember us having that one. I do believe it was targeted more towards children with how simple I think the story was, but being so young my memory is hazy, I remember the kittens being mischievous and eating plants, etc.

It's one of the few I'd hung on to from my childhood and someone else got rid of it. (I just accidentally typed "me" instead of "it" how fitting.)

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments You may want to add some more description in your post title. You'll catch more eyes. Something like "pre-1990s simple humorous cat book".

A few questions that may trigger some memories:
Were the cats on the cover in color?
What style were the illustrations: realistic, black and white, colorful, cartoony, etc?

Do you remember the number of pages?
Part of a series?
Do you think the book was targeted towards children or everyone?

Hope your book gets found. It sounds like you have some lovely memories attached to it.

message 3: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments While this book isn't for kids (vocab is pretty advance, some innuendos), the setup is similar to your book and the timeframe works. Searle's Cats Searle's Cats by Ronald Searle by Ronald Searle.

Ronald Searle has several cat books. You may want to try those, too.

If you have any account with OpenLibrary, you can read the book here
https://openlibrary.org/books/OL56102...

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Trenary | 5 comments Tab wrote: "You may want to add some more description in your post title. You'll catch more eyes. Something like "pre-1990s simple humorous cat book".

A few questions that may trigger some memories:
Were the ..."

Thank you I tried to edit it to add a little bit more info <3 it's very near and dear to my heart even if I sadly don't remember a lot about the actual book.

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Trenary | 5 comments Tab wrote: "While this book isn't for kids (vocab is pretty advance, some innuendos), the setup is similar to your book and the timeframe works. Searle's Cats Searle's Cats by Ronald Searle b..."

Took a look through all his books, I don't think these are it, but thank you, I might check them out in OpenLibrary anyway just cause they look amusing.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Something by B. Kliban? They were cartoon-style, usually all black and white:

but sometimes with color

They were very big in the 70s-80s, there were greeting cards, memo pads, mugs etc.

message 7: by Andrea (last edited Aug 18, 2015 04:48PM) (new)

Andrea Trenary | 5 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Something by B. Kliban? They were cartoon-style, usually all black and white:

but sometimes with color

They were very big in the 70s-80s, there were greeting cards, memo pads..."

Nope, not him, I remember having some of them but that wasn't it, I actually still have a pillow case with one of his cats on it lol
Thank you.

message 8: by Ket (new)

Ket | 164 comments Oh man, oh man! I might have this at home. Commenting now so I can find this thread again; I'll edit this post with the possible book when I get home.

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Trenary | 5 comments Tana wrote: "Oh man, oh man! I might have this at home. Commenting now so I can find this thread again; I'll edit this post with the possible book when I get home."

Oh I hope hope hope you do.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Andrea, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Andrea, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Searle's Cats (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ronald Searle (other topics)
B. Kliban (other topics)