The Leftovers The Leftovers question

The Leftovers
Jake Miller Jake Aug 17, 2015 10:28PM
I just started watching the HBO series The Leftovers, and it's amazing. The story, tone, and character dynamic is exactly what I aspire to write someday. I learned that it was based on a book, which isn't surprising because all the best media is. Has anyone read the book? I'm wondering how similar the show is.

Once I read the book I understood the show more...there was some stuff in the show I wasn't getting at all..just a little too weird and unexplained.

Anthony (last edited Sep 01, 2015 10:13AM ) Sep 01, 2015 10:11AM   0 votes
I though the book was really good. I found it to be a very emotional work, and really gets into the heads of these characters so we can feel why they do what they do. I would recommend it.

However, the one thing I didn't like, was the Prologue. In fact, I would advise skipping the prologue and going right into the text. The reason being is that the Prologue is completely out of place, both in tone and in purpose. The prologue has a sardonic, cynical voice that attempts to set the novel up and put it in an almost satirical perspective, trying to gloss over the whole mysterious disappearance in a rather crass, glib way. it's a really awful piece of narrative, to be honest, and completely unnecessary. It's almost as if the author felt the need to dispel the mystery a little or inserted the prologue because maybe an editor told him "Hey, I don't think readers will be able to figure out what happened unless you blatantly explain it...."

When I first read the sample...I almost didn't buy the book because the Prologue was so bad. I'm glad I sucked it up and pushed on through, because the actual book itself is really very good, very emotional and thoughtful in places, haunting in others.

I liked Kevin better in the show. He is much more fleshed out. I think the Holy Wayne stuff is done much better in the book along with the lady that lost her whole family. The periphery characters are definitely more fleshed out in the show and the show definitely took the concept and ran with it to some interesting places.

The overall tone of the book and movie are quite similar. There are differences in the main character - in the book Kevin is the mayor, not the police chief and the whole backstory with his father and the visions doesn't exist in the book. I found a bit more humor in the book as well, but a great book to film adaptation should always stretch the experience and make it something unique.

I liked the TV show better.