ONTD Book Club discussion

Monthly Suggestions > September 2015 Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess (gingeryarnco) | 616 comments Mod
Since I just finished it and am starting the second one ASAP, I'm going to nom Red Rising.

message 2: by Idris (last edited Aug 17, 2015 11:02PM) (new)

Idris Grey (idrisgrey) | 57 comments Mod
I read a sample of Red Rising and I liked it for the worldbuilding if nothing else. I could get on board with that.

I read a lot of YA for the most part, so it's hard for me to pick anything else. How about either Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express or Thomas Harris's Silence of the Lambs?

message 3: by Liesje Leest (last edited Aug 18, 2015 08:41AM) (new)

Liesje Leest (liesje_leest) | 51 comments Buffalo Soldier Buffalo Soldier is such an amazing book, I really loved it and think you ONTD'ers will like it to. It's really sad but a good book. It's about a slave girl who becomes "free" but seems to have no place in society and also touches other dark parts of US history.

Or The Book of Negroes/Someone Knows My Name since I'm planning to read it anyway and it would be nice to read along with you guys!

message 4: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 63 comments i just got a copy of I'm Down and i feel like that could make for some good discussion!

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (iquitelikebooks) | 54 comments What she left behind, everything I never told you, a reunion of ghosts, uprooted (did we read this? I forget)

Sorry I can't link, I'm on mobile

message 6: by Jess (new)

Idris wrote: "Silence of the Lambs..."

We half-heartedly did that one last year: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/....

message 7: by Jess (new)

I think it was suggested last month, and we've done it in the past: we can choose two books. We've done various combinations: snark, bestsellers, classics, nonfiction, fiction, quickie novella reads.

I like having a classic as an option because it is more likely to be available free and with many translations.

I'm wondering if maybe we have a zombie read each month - by that I mean, we pick a book we've already done - for some people it will be a first read and for others it will be a reread. It could lead to some interesting discussions.

message 8: by Amira (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) | 68 comments If we're all about the classics, I nominate Treasure Island.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

What about James Baldwin's Giovanni's Room?

message 10: by Amira (last edited Aug 29, 2015 02:44AM) (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) | 68 comments The poll is up if people are wondering.

message 11: by Idris (new)

Idris Grey (idrisgrey) | 57 comments Mod
Jess wrote: "I think it was suggested last month, and we've done it in the past: we can choose two books. We've done various combinations: snark, bestsellers, classics, nonfiction, fiction, quickie novella read..."

This is a late response, but I'm very much in favor of zombie reads plus a new book.