Adaptation: Book VS Film discussion

The Devil in the White City
This topic is about The Devil in the White City
Buddy Up > The Devil In The White City

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kerry (last edited Aug 22, 2015 07:36AM) (new) - added it

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Brett suggested a buddy read for this 2003 book which is now in pre-production for a Martin SCORSESE film adaptation starring Leonardo Dicaprio. Non-Fiction/True/Crime/History (American)
I'm In as soon as I get a copy and am a fan of Dicaprio/Scorsese
BUDDY READ STARTING LATE AUG 2015.

Lulu (lulureads365) | 37 comments When will you guys be starting?

message 3: by Kerry (new) - added it

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments HI LuLu, Brett is ready whenever, Hester is reading now and I am in process of finding a copy. do you have a copy already? good to see u here LuLu :)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 37 comments I'm going to check the library today to see if they have a copy.

Hester (hesterprine) | 16 comments Gotta say, I'm already disappointed by the casting of Leonardo DiCaprio of HH Holmes, he's too old.

message 6: by Kerry (new) - added it

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Hester wrote: "Gotta say, I'm already disappointed by the casting of Leonardo DiCaprio of HH Holmes, he's too old."

aw darn really? he died at 34 didnt he? i'm excited for the film, 9/10 times i like dicaprio and the scorsese pairing, i had heard others say they wondered how he will play evil for eveil sake without humour. how is the book so far?

message 7: by Kerry (new) - added it

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Okay, got my copy. LuLu have you found one yet?

Dara S. (dara85) | 35 comments I will join, but it will be next week before I can get the book.

Lulu (lulureads365) | 37 comments I've gotten a copy. Thanks Kerry. :) I won't start until Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

message 10: by Kerry (new) - added it

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Hey Dara and LuLu. No problems, we can all start the discussion next week properly. Dara I have a PDF if you would like a copy. Glad to have you along for the read! No probs LuLu. x I have started this week, but am reading slowly as i am finishing another book also.

Members IN on the Buddy Read:
Brett, Hester, Kerry, LuLu, Dara (Good recommendation Brett :)

Hester (hesterprine) | 16 comments Kerry wrote: "Hester wrote: "Gotta say, I'm already disappointed by the casting of Leonardo DiCaprio of HH Holmes, he's too old."

aw darn really? he died at 34 didnt he? i'm excited for the film, 9/10 times i l..."

It's fascinating,

Brett | -2 comments I'm glad you are all on-board to read this book! I'll be starting next week as well. Hope they finish the movie soon so we won't sit around and twiddle our thumbs after we read the book.

message 13: by Kerry (new) - added it

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Haha For sure :) 2016 schedualled release....I think we have a decent wait.

Hester (hesterprine) | 16 comments Netflix has a documentary on HH Holmes called HH Holmes: America's First Serial Killer for anyone interested. Going to watch it now and then probably have nightmares.

message 15: by Kerry (new) - added it

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments I've seen 2 of those documentaries and they werent that great. the barber shop quartet saying his last name mudget annoyed the hell outta me. i was interested to see how he built the hotel in purposeful three-seperations, people said it made them dizzy. im on page 45 ish of the book and so far it focuses on the fair ground builders and that is actually super interesting. It paints quite the Grotesque picture of chicago in the 1880s!

Hester (hesterprine) | 16 comments Yeah, the documentary was horrible. It's a shame they tore down the castle, it would have been fascinating to visit.

message 17: by Kerry (new) - added it

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments told you. did it have the barber shop quartet being annoying? so distracting. i didnt even get that far 2 hear that the hotel was torn down...(spoiler alert) :)

Hester (hesterprine) | 16 comments No, it had some lame voice over of an actor reading HH Holmes confession. I think I would have enjoyed the barber shop quartet, sounds kind of funny.

message 19: by Kerry (new) - added it

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments So who has started reading? so far I'm actually enjoying it, the author is a good writer and is weaving a good tale together. i'm finding the whole fair side really interesting, should be getting into more Holms soon. It does paint an awful grotesque, dirty, portrait of chicago in the 1880s

message 20: by Kerry (new) - added it

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments It looks like the HH HOLMES story might be the inspiration for the NEW AMERICAN HORROR STORY: HOTEL. (starting oct 7th any ahs fans :) Evan peters character apparantly plays the creator/builder of the hotel (1930s LA i think) and the hotel is some kind of LABYRINTH/MAZE for killing its guests....
perhaps some inspiration there.

Brett | -2 comments I was off to a slow start, but now I'm able to get some more reading time in! I'm really enjoying this book so far. Kerry, you're right about Larson. So far, he's done a great job delivering this story without droning on and on about minor Chicago details. Everything told is pretty fascinating (for me).

And I do agree with Hester; Leo is too old to play Holmes. But, I can't figure out who I would cast...

message 22: by Kerry (new) - added it

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments I'm going to do an hour or so on it tonight, im finding it interesting too. Damn people hating on Leo. I need to read more HH

message 23: by Lulu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lulu (lulureads365) | 37 comments I'm about 40% through and I'm really enjoying it. I like the two stories being woven into one, but are they really connected?

message 24: by Kerry (new) - added it

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments LULU yes its done really well isnt it! I'm continuing it tonight

message 25: by Lulu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lulu (lulureads365) | 37 comments Final Opinion: Ehh, not impressed. LOL.

message 26: by Kerry (new) - added it

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments u finished already LuLu?

message 27: by Lulu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lulu (lulureads365) | 37 comments Yeah Kerry. I enjoyed the stories separately, but not together. Together neither story was fulfilling.

message 28: by Kerry (new) - added it

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments what a shame, ive not finished yet,. so 2 stars? any review?

Brett | -2 comments blast...

message 30: by Lulu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lulu (lulureads365) | 37 comments It was 2 stars for me. I posted a lite general review.

Brett | -2 comments Just finished. 2-stars doesn't necessarily mean a negative review for me. There were parts I found really interesting. However, about half-way through the book is when I started losing steam.

I am curious to see how this book will be adapted. They can use a lot (or all) of the dialogue from the book, but that simply won't be enough for the entire movie.

Hester (hesterprine) | 16 comments I finally just finished it! For me it was a four star read, a lot was left to be desired when it came to what motivated Holmes. I love the inner workings of psycho and sociopaths. Now I know who to blame for that obnoxious classical style of architecture that I hate so much. Damn you Burnham!

message 33: by Kerry (new) - added it

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments aw well heaps of diff opinions there! ive not yet finished- been reading so many things but its ok so far.
anyone think the film version will trump the book?

Dara S. (dara85) | 35 comments I enjoyed the true crime part of the book and the fact that so many people of that time attended the fair. Once the fair opened the book went faster for me. I have had this book on my list to read for years. I am glad I read it.

message 35: by Miko (new)

Miko (mii-miko) | 2 comments I really enjoy the novel and I didn't know there was a movie in development!