Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Secret Garden by Johanna Basford keep deleted

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ren Puspita (new)

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) | 109 comments Hello, sorry if this topic is in the wrong thread, please kindly move it into the right thread.

I shelved Secret Garden by Johanna Basford (ISBN: 978-1780671062) as my current reading because I currently coloring it. I also put my current opinion in review box about the books.

The problem is, this book keep deleted. Twice. And therefore my current review also lost. I don't get why delete this book? Is it because the author is "NOT A BOOK?" Or anything else? I had search by ISBN , and yes, the book is not there.

Please for the help, this thing make me so irritated :(

message 2: by Philip (last edited Aug 18, 2015 09:52AM) (new)

Philip (burnnerman) | 5913 comments Since it looks like it is a coloring book and "not a book" I am sure that it has probably been marked as not a book.

Here is the policy on it.

https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/1...

message 3: by Ren Puspita (new)

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) | 109 comments Phillip: Yes, I'm aware that it's marked as not a book, so its have "NOT A BOOK" in the author column. I just don't get why delete it entirely. And it's happen not just once, but twice. I don't know who delete it, tho.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
Items which are not books are often deleted entirely from the Goodreads database.

message 5: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I saw this book in NOT A BOOK weeks ago. It had been shelved by numerous people.

If a book has reviews, it shouldn't be deleted entirely from the database, it should sit in the NOT A BOOK purgatory.

At least, if it is going to be deleted, people who wrote reviews should be notified as a courtesy so they can save their reviews if they wish.

I thought the policy of Goodreads was NEVER to delete a member's review - unless the review violated policy - and even then, to NOTIFY the reviewer first.

I mean, really, it's not like I just "thought" that. It was policy.

message 6: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl It's probably time to revisit the NOT A BOOK policy on coloring books, anyway. It's not like they're that different from puzzle books, which ARE considered books.

message 7: by Ren Puspita (new)

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) | 109 comments Rivka: Oh, that kinda make sense, but still...I wish Secret Garden will not deleted.

Lobstergirl: I'm agree. My current review of Secret Garden had lost twice because of this. I just put my opinion about the book, the paper quality, the art, etc (will not bored you with details), and I think my review do not violate Goodreads policy :(.

message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13673 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "It's probably time to revisit the NOT A BOOK policy on coloring books, anyway. It's not like they're that different from puzzle books, which ARE considered books."

Puzzle books are considered books?? In that case, are telephone books also considered books?

message 9: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Well...last time I checked, telephone books were not addressed on the NAB author page, but puzzle books were. Puzzle books have always been considered books hereabouts.

message 10: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I mean, telephone books are written in a spoken language.

As distinct from sheet music, which is not written in a spoken language, but in a system of notation / symbols. And sheet music is books.

message 11: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13673 comments I can understand sheet music, the notation makes sense to someone who can read it. But puzzle books are just a random collection of words*, numbers (sudoku) or images (rebus-type puzzles, nonograms). Plus I thought (most) puzzle books are periodicals, appearing every month or so. I find it odd that they would be allowed, while f.e. comics periodicals aren't.

*Dictionaries often have several-page introductions, and/or appendices on grammar, etc.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 19, 2015 08:46AM) (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
For both sheet music and puzzle books, only bound books are books by Goodreads standards. The periodical puzzle magazines would not be.

And puzzle books usually have significant text, and often not just descriptions or instructions.

message 13: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13673 comments Thank you for the clarification!

message 14: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl rivka wrote: "For both sheet music and puzzle books, only bound books are books by Goodreads standards. "

Not accurate - some sheet music exists in Kindle format, which is still a book - and some sheet music is not technically "bound" because it is the equivalent of two or three pages in length. In other words, sometimes short pieces of music get published. They don't have covers. It's just the music. And page 1 would be connected to page 2, the way for example a full-size brochure would have its pages all connected, but there is not technically any "binding."