What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > fantasy:chieftain's daughter kidnapped meets assassin

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim | 2 comments I read the book in the last 2 yrs but since it might have been from a library it could be older than that.

It is a fantasy book or series.Not sure which. The plot starts with a chieftain's daughter whose mother died when she was young but who happened to be the sister of a neighboring king.The king sends messengers for his niece but her father, the chieftain, and other family kill them over the years to prevent them from taking her. After witnessing the latest messenger being killed the girl is kidnapped and wakes up in a remote prison with no memory of who she is. I don't remember who the bad guys are in this book but they are torturing people on some kind of machine at this prison.

I believe it is with the help of the assassin(dark, quiet, brooding,and of course sexy) that she escapes and they head to a school or university. We later find out that the assassin is from a line of assassins that are very long lived and trained from birth up in the mountains where no outsiders are allowed.

She stays at the school where she at first works and later becomes a student. She attends a council meeting where her clansmen show up and suddenly she remembers everything. She chooses to leave with her clansmen to go back home. Somehow several students end up traveling with her, such as her female rival and a cute boy who is a possible love interest, as well as, the assassin.

At some point they are attacked on the trip and female rival becomes possible friend. They make it to cute boy's home town which happens to be located in the middle of a mountain cliff. The only way to get to it are by glider and hanging cable cars. They meet cute boy's family and cute boy introduces her as his girlfriend or fiancee. The mother or sister is sick because she is being poisoned. I remember a scene where she chooses to have a practice duel(staff and magic?) with another of the male guests and is almost killed. At some point the assassin ends up hanging from the sheer cliff while trying to rescue her.

I'm not sure when but at some point she meets a "spirit?" horse that bonds with her and only she can hear it talk. There is a "spirit" wolf too but it is searching for its partner but chooses to help her on occasion when in great need.It talks vaguely about staying with her until its time but never really answers when that might be. I remember there being a contest at the school where she uses the spirit horse as her eyes to keep from being found.

Anyway, girl and assassin make it back to her family's village where she is told she has to marry. She doesn't like her marriage options so she tries to be clever and makes an announcement that they will hold a traditional Viking-like fighting contest and the winner will get her hand in marriage. She attempts to dress as a man and fight so she won't have to marry any of the men.She loses after a couple of rounds and suddenly her plan falls apart.Unknown to her the assassin disguises himself and competes. He wins too.Of course they have a love/hate relationship so she's not exactly sure how she feels about this.

They aren't forced to marry because there is an attack on the village where some of her father's kin betrays her and kidnaps her. Somehow she ends up tied up in the back of a cart and almost goes over a waterfall.Spirit horse is along for the ride. They are both saved at the last moment by assassin and her father.

Next assassin and girl decide they need to go to her uncle's kingdom but along the way the assassin decides to take her to his assassin family/cult though it is against the rules. We find out he left because his brother beat him in combat and got the girl. Major hit to his man ego! When they come upon the other assassins they want to kill her since no one can know where they live. She is taken to the women leader and is tested with tea. I believe it is decided she can leave but the assassin can't come with her so she is seperated from him and locked away.She escapes but won't leave without him because by now she is quite fond of him. She goes to rescue him but unbeknownst to her there was a deal struck between the assassin and the women leader where the girl was set up. The guard she ends up fighting to rescue her assassin is actually her assassin. She somehow drains him of his life and when she realizes she is responsible for killing him she is overcome with grief and thrown in a pit by the other assassins. Later they come for her and tell her he managed to survive but only because their race isn't exactly normal.Of course she now realizes what he means to her. They are allowed to leave.

They make it to her uncle's castle and are surprisingly welcomed. She finds out that her mother's family has a curse where all the males are insane. Her male cousins attempt to kill her one minute and chat with her the next.

I'm a little unsure about this part of the book but I know at the end she is having a magical duel with the bad guys with the assassin nearby.For some reason she has to make a choice that to defeat the bad guys she and by proximity the assassin will have to die in the process. Cue spirit horse and spirit wolf. We find out that their purpose is to die in the place of their Chosen One.But since two deaths were going to take place the wolf was needed to save the assassin.

At the end we find the girl and assassin married(with a little girl) and ruling two kingdoms from the university with the other assassins as their guards.

As you can see I have a very good idea of the plot but without a Title or author I got nothing! Very frustrating! any help will be appreciated thanks.

message 2: by Shelia (new)

Shelia Williams | 748 comments Hope you find it sounds like a great book. I would love to read it.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37619 comments Mod
Kim, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim | 2 comments Still looking! Any ideas?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37619 comments Mod
Still looking now?

I am empty of ideas.

message 6: by Crystal (last edited Jan 15, 2021 09:52PM) (new)

Crystal | 327 comments This book sounds amazing, I want to read it and damn it's cursed that you can remember so many details and still not be able to find the book

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32298 comments Mod
Note: Kim (OP) was last active on the site in May 2018.