Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Book Talk > Nga Kupu Ora Aotearoa Maori Book Awards 2015

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesley (last edited Aug 22, 2015 06:06PM) (new)

Lesley | 1568 comments Winners of the six categories will be announced at a ceremony at Te Papa in Wellington on September 10.

Te Tuhinga Auaha - Creative Writing
Puna Wai Korero An Anthology of Maori Poetry in English by Reina Whaitiri Puna Wai Korero: An Anthology of Maori Poetry in English by Reina Whaitiri

Waha Mouth by Hinemoana Baker Waha Mouth by Hinemoana Baker

Te Korero Pono – Non-Fiction
Ahuwhenua: Celebrating 80 Years of Maori Farming by Danny Keenan

Rauwaru : The Proverbial Garden : Nga-weri : Maori Root Vegetables by Nick Roskruge

Marae — Te Tatau Pounamu by Muru Walters Marae — Te Tatau Pounamu by Muru Walters

Te Korero o Mua – History
Panguru and the City : Kainga Tahi Kainga Rua by Melissa Matutina Williams

Tangata Whenua An Illustrated History by Atholl Anderson, Judith Binney, Aroha Harris Tangata Whenua: An Illustrated History by Atholl Anderson, Judith Binney, Aroha Harris

Te Haurongo - Biography
Parekura Horomia : Kia Ora Chief by Wira Gardiner

Te Tau Ihu o te Waka : Volume 4 : A History of Maori of Nelson and Marlborough by Hilary & John Mitchell

Te Reo Maori
The Value of the Māori Language Te Hua o te Reo Māori (Volume 2) by Rawinia Higgins The Value of the Māori Language Te Hua o te Reo Māori by Rawinia Higgins

Maranga Mai! Te Reo and Marae in Crisis? by Merata Kawharu Maranga Mai! Te Reo and Marae in Crisis? by Merata Kawharu

Ka Hoki Taua Ki Te Whare Hui Ai E by Agnes McFarland

Te Mahi Toi – Arts
Momo Kauae : Moko Kauae in Contemporary Art by Tryphena Cracknell

Te tu Hanga Whare o Whetu : The Rebuilding of Te Whetu o Te Rangi by Des Kahotea

Five Maori Painters by Auckland Art Gallery

As you will see many of these titles are not on Goodreads, so to any of our members who are Goodreads librarians, and have the time, please feel free to add them.

message 2: by Sharlene (new)

Sharlene (sharlenehuriwai) | 584 comments Mod
There is a copy of Marae — Te Tatau Pounamu by Bishop Muru Walters at the office. The photography inside is beautiful. Might have to pinch for a night to read.

message 3: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Aug 22, 2015 05:39PM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 954 comments Ella's Gran wrote: "Winners of the six categories will be announced at a ceremony at Te Papa in Wellington on September 10.

[bookcover:Puna Wai Korero: An Anthology of Maori Poetry..."

I've done 2 of them - the McFarland one & the Kahotea one. I couldn't find a book cover on either that I'm allowed to use (Des Kahotea's website had the book cover partly obscured by something else)

With the MCFarland one - are both McFarland & Black editors? If someone who speaks Maori or knows the book could let me know . :) http://www.wheelers.co.nz/books/97819...

I'll tackle the Cracknell one later (accidentally skipped)

The Auckland Art Gallery one - I've found a book seller with it listed but they have called what I assume is the author, a contributor. I might be in Auckland at the start of next month & I'll go in & ask. It's no hassle - I love the art gallery (that's me in my new avatar fooling around in their special effects room) & it looks like a cool book.

message 4: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1568 comments ☆ Carol ☆ wrote: "Ella's Gran wrote: "Winners of the six categories will be announced at a ceremony at Te Papa in Wellington on September 10.

[bookcover:Puna Wai Korero: An Antho..."

Thanks Carol, I just haven't had time to transfer the info to GR at work lately.
Covers are a problem when they're not listed on Amazon.

McFarland & Black are editors
http://nlnzcat.natlib.govt.nz/vwebv/s...

Record for Cracknell

Auckland Art Gallery one Mason, Ngahiraka, is the editor

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 954 comments Thanks EG - I never thought to look to see if National Library catalogue had an online presence. I've bookmarked it now.

That name for the Ak Art Gallery one is completely different than the name I found on the book site!

message 6: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1568 comments ☆ Carol ☆ wrote: "Thanks EG - I never thought to look to see if National Library catalogue had an online presence. I've bookmarked it now.

That name for the Ak Art Gallery one is completely different than the name ..."

Five Maori Painters is a book[let] produced in support of an exhibition of the same name which is where the confusion could come from. Both NatLib and Wheelers have Mason as the editor so I'd go with that as they will have had 'the item in hand' when cataloguing it.
The cover image here http://www.aucklandartgallery.com/wha... is the right one and is okay to upload since they are the publishers.
NatLib is a trustworthy go to when they have a full catalogue record up because this means they have the physical item.
Wheelers is good to get the publication dates and publisher - not so reliable on the rest, especially the pagination. Their info often comes pre-pub from the publishers.