Sci-Fi, fantasy and speculative Indie Authors Review discussion

Would you want to know when you die?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christa (new)

Christa Yelich-Koth | 25 comments I do a Theoretical Thursday post on my blog each week and thought you guys might like this one:

If you could know the day you will die, would you want to know?

Immortals, gods, and time travelers can be exempt. :)

message 2: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Coops (icoops) | 30 comments I would be very curious. I am a planner and not super scared of dying. I think I would like to know so I can be sure to get things wrapped up before that.

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 1213 comments Mod
Well heck. I'm an immortal time traveling goddess. :/

message 4: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 563 comments I simply refer you to The IT Crowd's "Happy Deathday" episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON8cT...

message 5: by D.R. (new)

D.R. (woodhawk) Micah wrote: "I simply refer you to The IT Crowd's "Happy Deathday" episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON8cT..."

Ha, ha, ha! That was very funny!

message 6: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 563 comments D.R. wrote: "Micah wrote: "I simply refer you to The IT Crowd's "Happy Deathday" episode:

Ha, ha, ha! That was very funny!"

Check out the whole episode. Extremely well written.

message 7: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 296 comments As an entellechy I'm not really alive and therefore can't actually die.

But it would be interesting to know the date I'll revert to a state of hydrogen sulfide / putrescine mist, in order to invite my well-wishers to experience the moment.

message 8: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 200 comments Nope. Knowing I still have 20 years plus would (might) be fun but knowing tomorrow is the date? No no no no no. I wouldn't have time to finish everything I started!

Seriously, knowing in advance would ruin it for me. BUT maybe I wouldn't be so scared to take the plane or go on a long ride. :P

message 9: by Roger (new)

Roger Jackson I would buy a ton of life insurance the day before.

message 10: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 189 comments all i want to know if i have to repeat this ish again (i believe in reincarnation) cos if so i need to leave some clues to my future self to not eff things up and have a better go round than i did. other than that im working hard to finish what i got to do. my doc gave me two years (yay bad health) so im busy finishing these projects...

message 11: by Angel (new)

Angel | 12 comments No. Let's keep that a mystery. I don't have to know everything that's God's job.

message 12: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 200 comments K.P. wrote: "all i want to know if i have to repeat this ish again (i believe in reincarnation) cos if so i need to leave some clues to my future self to not eff things up and have a better go round than i did...."

Sorry to hear that K.P. Just remember doctors have been known to make mistakes too so... I hope yours did.

message 13: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 189 comments dont worry GG. If its merely a warning im trying my best to tie up loose ends and live my life how i want. so it meant kicking some family to the curb. but my goal is to publish all 80 books and 35 games i have produced. a 2 year deadline is only a challenge. and if i see beyond 33 woot death can kick rocks and that doctor needs a good punch upside the head.
getting thar diagnosis had me sit and think what i wanted out of life and i realised i kept living for everyone else and wasn't happy.
im still struggling most days but getting up working my projects with my due date looming keeps me going cos if im going out its with a party and with my works in print. i want my buick 225 damn it. XD

message 14: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 200 comments K.P. wrote: "dont worry GG. If its merely a warning im trying my best to tie up loose ends and live my life how i want. so it meant kicking some family to the curb. but my goal is to publish all 80 books and 35..."

I do have to credit you for the way you see it. I hope you find the time to do everything you want/need to do and much more. :) Big hugs to you <3

message 15: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 296 comments I remember the Buick 225. Then again my ride is a '74 Postal converted to carry a passenger.

Sometimes the best thing for any of us is getting out from under relatives who aren't good for us.

message 16: by Christina (new)

Dang, KP! That's a harsh diagnosis to handle, but I have to admire how you're dealing. Let's all hope death goes and kicks rocks for a good long time.

message 17: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 189 comments you're too much gang :D
*fuzzy feels*
keep working hard and write on!

message 18: by Hákon (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 283 comments Micah wrote: "I simply refer you to The IT Crowd's "Happy Deathday" episode:

They were always funny. :-D

message 19: by Molly (new)

Molly Billygoat (mollybillygoat) | 40 comments I would not like to know. Having said that, if the choice to know was available to me, I'd struggle not to press the "LET ME KNOW" button.

I want to be immortal. Not because of a God delusion but simple fear of death. Oh well!

message 20: by Molly (new)

Molly Billygoat (mollybillygoat) | 40 comments Hákon wrote: "Micah wrote: "I simply refer you to The IT Crowd's "Happy Deathday" episode:

They were always funny. :-D"

Oh, oh, that was SUCH a classic! Despite the hilarity, I could really relate to Roy's pain, mislead though it was, hahaha...

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyles (gobbledygook) | 380 comments I think I would definitely want to know. I will keep my reasons to myself at the risk of sounding crazy though.

message 22: by Christina (new)

Amanda wrote: "I think I would definitely want to know. I will keep my reasons to myself at the risk of sounding crazy though."

But... We're authors, Amada! Crazy is a given. ;p

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyles (gobbledygook) | 380 comments I've been told I shouldn't share some of my crazy thoughts to avoid being locked up in a nut house. I thought it was sound advice. Especially since it came from my mother!

message 24: by Christina (new)

LOL! Well fair enough. ;p

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyles (gobbledygook) | 380 comments How long have you been an immortal time traveling goddess Christina? Any advice for us puny humans?

message 26: by Christina (new)

Let's see, wrote that on the 17th... So about a week now? Best advice I can give puny humans is to not rise up against the robots when they come to enslave you all. You are puny and human and you will be turned into robot food. Your best bet is to welcome your robot overlords, embrace them, bribe them with treats and sumbit to being their minion so that you may not only survive, but perhaps if you're a good enough minion, they might share the wifi password.

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyles (gobbledygook) | 380 comments If we're going to be human food then what are we supposed to bribe them with, an arm? Or maybe some Wd-40?

message 28: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Coops (icoops) | 30 comments I have always been super nice to my appliances just in case. I think I am in their good graces.

message 29: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyles (gobbledygook) | 380 comments Are you just saying that because you've traveled through time like your character or because you like being nice to your appliances?

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyles (gobbledygook) | 380 comments I try to be nice, but when they misbehave I have no choice but to scold things.

message 31: by Christina (new)

Spam. If Twitter has taught me anything, it's that robots love spam.

message 32: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Coops (icoops) | 30 comments Amanda wrote: "Are you just saying that because..."

I have a buddy who is a toaster in 2057 and he's just the nicest guy :)

I am actually having a ton of fun with my series because in book three I get to deal with the problems of dating an AI. I also get to deal with the future of the human race which is kind of a similar question as this thread topic. (At least for time travelers)

Would you want to know when the world was going to end if it was due to happen in your lifetime?

message 33: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Coops (icoops) | 30 comments I guess it begs the question that if you knew when everyone else was going to die, all or any of the people you know and love, would that be different than just knowing when you die?

I'd like to believe that I am just as nice to people now as I would be on their last day, but I'm sure I've got room for improvement in that department.

message 34: by Christina (new)

Weird, but all I'd want to know is if we're quickly vaporized by the death star or if it's a slow, agonizing death that gives us years of post apocalyptic awfulness before finally going silent.

message 35: by Molly (new)

Molly Billygoat (mollybillygoat) | 40 comments Nathan wrote: "I have always been super nice to my appliances just in case. I think I am in their good graces."

I have a reputation breaking appliances because my 'grip' is too strong. Oh dear... I feel them all staring at me... especially the partially-functioning juicer... *Panic attack!*

Christina, I second that - in all seriousness. How the human race goes down is fascinating to me. I don't think that's so weird, I mean... hence 80% of all science fiction!

message 36: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyles (gobbledygook) | 380 comments I third that. I would definitely want to know if its fast or a slow agonizing thing.

Nathan, are all your appliance friends guys? Cause I'm sure there are some female ones out there. There have to be. Otherwise how would we get new appliances?

message 37: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Coops (icoops) | 30 comments The coffee maker and the microwave do seem awfully close these days. Not sure what they get into when I'm not looking. The microwave can be pretty hot when she wants to be...