2016: A Dance to the Music of Time discussion

A Dance to the Music of Time, Complete Set: 1st Movement, 2nd Movement, 3rd Movement, 4th Movement
WELCOME!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sunny (new) - added it

Sunny (travellingsunny) | 49 comments Mod
I've been thinking about this series for a couple of years now, but haven't had the fortitude to commit. Then I read Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time with a group, and found I really enjoyed reading along with others. And so, the dance begins in 2016...

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike (xolotl-ltolox) | 1 comments Cool idea, Sunny. Thanks for the invite. :)

message 3: by Sunny (new) - added it

Mike wrote: "Cool idea, Sunny. Thanks for the invite. :)"

Of course, Mike! I'm really looking forward to this.

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 106 comments Thanks for the invite Sunny. I don't think I'd actually heard of 'A Dance' until I was reading ISOLT. It looks like quite a different beast though.

message 5: by Sunny (new) - added it

Jonathan wrote: "Thanks for the invite Sunny. I don't think I'd actually heard of 'A Dance' until I was reading ISOLT. It looks like quite a different beast though."

I have very little insight into the books, myself. But, I think at least part of it is set in the same time period, but in London. Still, there seem to be some similarities... I've added a book to the group's bookshelf - The Art of Anthony Powell's ADTTMOT which talks about art from the books. (Reminds me of Paintings in Proust.)

message 6: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 106 comments Travelling Sunny wrote: "I have very little insight into the books, myself. But, I think at least part of it is set in the same time period, but in London. Still, there seem to be some similarities... .."

I think I'll have to start my training though as I've been mostly reading short stories lately.

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Thanks for the invite, Sunny! Great idea! :)

message 8: by Sunny (new) - added it

@Jonathan: I've been reading contemporary fluff, so yeah, it'll be a workout for me as well. LOL

@Shannon & Karen: Sure hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew... :)

message 9: by Janet (new)

Janet What a brilliant idea! Puts paid to my plan to only read women authors in 2016 (to make up for the years when I've only seemed to read men) but that'll wait.

message 10: by Sunny (new) - added it

Welcome to the group, Janet!

message 11: by Renato (new)

Renato (renatomrocha) | 25 comments Sunny, thank you for creating this group! I'm still not entirely sure I'll read this next year — although I really want to... first because it's a big compromise and second because it hasn't been translated into Portuguese... so it's a bigger compromise to read it in English. I'll take a look at the first book to see how's the language and if it'd be too difficult...

message 12: by Sunny (new) - added it

I can't even imagine reading a book in another language, so I commend you for the attempt! I sure wish I was fluent in more than one language.

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Hi! I just bought this book last month but haven't started yet. (The first volume) When will you be starting? Or have you guys already?

message 14: by Renato (new)

Renato (renatomrocha) | 25 comments Hey, Kirsten. In January! The idea is to read one volume per month.

Algernon (Darth Anyan) | 44 comments thanks for the invite, Renato. I already bought the books a couple of years ago, but I was still waiting for a nudge to make me start reading them.

I heard very good things about the series, and one book a month doesn't seem too difficult to achieve.

message 16: by Jaidee (new)

Jaidee    (jaidee33) Hi everybody.

Thanks for invite Renato. We have all twelve books and I've read none of them.

I am going to try this group read and the Pynchon group read and stick with one of them. I think this one may be more up my alley but we will see.

Shout out to Renato, Teresa and my new GR friend Algernon.

message 17: by Diane (new)

Diane Barnes Thank you for inviting me, Renato. I have wanted to read this series for many years, this gives me the perfect opportunity. I already have the first volume with the first 3 books, so it's an easy decision.

message 18: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Hello, everyone. Thanks for the invite, Renato. And back at ya, Jaidee: maybe 2017 will be your year for Proust. ;)

message 19: by Röhan (new)

Röhan | 1 comments Great idea. Thanks for the invite, Renato. 12 part series, one for every month, tailor made for year long group read!

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan Thanks for the invite, Renato. I have nearly finished Proust, which I hoped to read this year, so this will be perfect for 2016.

message 21: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb ^ And thanks to Susan for the invite. I read all twelve A Dance to the Music of Time between May 2014 and July 2014 and loved every one of them. I posted a review of each book.

"A Dance To The Music Of Time" by Anthony Powell - illustration from Hilary Spurling cover (detail)

What makes it a masterpiece is its narrative patience, which is of a kind that we will no longer see. Its characters derive new identities over time, thanks to its breadth, and while you are reading it, time becomes Powell's accomplice, and the sound of breathing you hear as you turn the pages is the music of time passing in its most pleasurable way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/03/31/opi...

Spot on NYT.

By the way "Invitation To The Dance" by Hilary Spurling, a reference book, is a useful addition for anyone who plans to read all twelve books...

"Invitation To The Dance" by Hilary Spurling

Anthony Powell's "A Dance to the Music of Time" is a landmark of twentieth-century writing. Hilary Spurling has written an invaluable companion to the 12-volume masterpiece, creating a magnificent database of Powell’s imagination and England’s cultural landscape.

Invitation To The Dance is best used as an intermittent accompaniment for those reading "A Dance To The Music Of Time" and contains a wealth of information to help the reader keep track of characters.

This book was much sought after by Powell enthusiasts during a lengthy period of being out of print and Random House must be praised for republishing it.

message 22: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) Thanks for the invite, Renato -- I am intrigued. Hope I am up to reading all.

message 23: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Thanks for organizing this Renato and Sunny. I'm excited for a great year of reading in 2016!

Darwin8u | 12 comments I'm assuming the pace will be 1 book per month?

message 25: by poncho (new)

poncho (ponchoevsky) | 1 comments This looks really good! I'll try to get the books, which don't seem to be available in any of my sources in Mexico.

Thanks for the invitation, Renato!

message 26: by Simon (new)

Simon (sorcerer88) | 10 comments After happily reading Proust with a group this year, this is a great followup, other than the Proust reread 2016 ;)
I've been interested in this 'British Proust' for a long time, too.

Nigeyb, that's a wonderful endorsement of the Dance! Will you reread it with us? Would be nice to have an experienced reader with us.

Thanks a lot for the invite, Renato :)

message 27: by Alma Q (new)

Alma Q (staticatku) | 1 comments Yes, thanks for the invite, Renato! ADttMoT sounds like a great series for group reading. I do have to say, though, that I'm glad at least the first four books have been translated into Finnish...

message 28: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) I appreciate the invite, Renato, and look forward to the "Dance".

message 29: by Sue (new)

Sue | 85 comments Thanks for the invitation, Renato. I think I will give this a try. So much reading already planned for next year. I have to beware of over-scheduling. But this sounds very good.

message 30: by Sue (new)

Sue | 85 comments And I just sent for the book!

message 31: by Damaskcat (new)

Damaskcat I'm looking forward to reading the books. I listened to the audio books read by Simon Vance last year and enjoyed them. Thank you to Susan for the invitation:-)

message 32: by Nigeyb (last edited Nov 18, 2015 02:42AM) (new)

Nigeyb Simon wrote: "Nigeyb, that's a wonderful endorsement of the Dance! Will you reread it with us? Would be nice to have an experienced reader with us."

Thanks Simon. I am not sure if I'll reread it yet. It feels a little too soon but I may get inspired. I shall certainly keep an eye on the discussions and doubtless chip in from time to time.

Your comment about having "an experienced reader" is, I'm guessing, based on the assumption that these books are difficult to read, or hard to understand. If so, I can reassure you they are very accessible and easy to follow. The first one is perhaps the hardest as it is quite slow in plot terms however I would urge anyone who feels that way to stick with the series.

And by the time you get to the three WW2 volumes....

"Autumn"
The Valley of Bones – (1964)
The Soldier's Art – (1966)
The Military Philosophers – (1968)

....I can tell you they are right up there with Sword of Honour - there is no higher accolade.

message 33: by Simon (last edited Nov 19, 2015 01:31AM) (new)

Simon (sorcerer88) | 10 comments Actually I meant an experienced reader who has read Powell before. In our Proust group read, we had Proust experts who had lots of helpful information and guidance.
But good job at endorsing Powell once more :)

message 34: by Nigeyb (last edited Nov 18, 2015 04:54AM) (new)

Nigeyb ^ OK Simon. Thanks for that clarification. For what it's worth I found Proust very difficult and (whisper it) quite boring. I know, I know. Heresy, but honest heresy.

By way of contrast Anthony Powell doesn't require any expert interpretation. That said, there is plenty to discuss, not least who the real life inspirations are for the extraordinary cast of characters.

Imagine, if you will, the best of Evelyn Waugh when he's dealing with a large number of disparate characters (e.g. Sword of Honour and Brideshead Revisited), then imagine following some of your favourite characters from those books throughout their lives, add in the kind of twists and turns you'd find in superior soap operas, then sprinkle liberally with the humour of someone as gifted as P.G. Wodehouse, and all written in an accessible, beautiful and lucid style.

It's utterly fantastic and gets better and better as the characters become more familiar.

message 35: by Renee (new)

Renee M | 38 comments Hi. I wasn't actually invited, but found my way here through the updates of a GR friend. If this is an exclusive group, please let me know.

Otherwise, I've been interested in reading these books for years. Mostly because of the fantastic cover art. :) But, later because friends had begun to read it. Still I wasn't ready to take it on as a solo endeavor. So, if this group is open to crashers, I'll look forward to reading and chatting along with you.

message 36: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2 comments Hello, everyone. This looks like a great group, and a lively and diverse bunch, too. Thanks so much for the invite, Renato! I probably won't get to this MASSIVE tome next year, but I'm certainly intrigued by it. Thank for bringing it to my attention.:)

message 37: by Renato (new)

Renato (renatomrocha) | 25 comments Wow, so great to see all of you guys here! Welcome, everyone! I read Proust with Sunny last year and it was a great time. I'm grateful that she started this group.

Waving to Sue and Teresa, faithful companions in other journeys :-)

Darwin8u: yes, 1 book per month.

Renee, it's not an exclusive group at all, I'm glad you found us!

message 38: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (goodreadscomdawn_irena) | 12 comments Renato - THAN YOU ! So very much for the invitation to this wonderful group ! I had told you I wanted to read Proust a while back to discover his magical appeal for myself ! I am looking forward to this journey to start the New Year very much !

I am so excited !

Gratefully Yours ,

Dawn

message 39: by Renee (new)

Renee M | 38 comments Great! Thanks, Renato. Am looking forward to some great conversations! :-)

message 40: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Another "crasher" here without an invitation. I had contemplated reading this series in 2016. I'm happy to have lots of company - and a few familiar faces.

message 41: by Sunny (new) - added it

Happy to have you all joining us!

message 42: by Pixelina (new)

Pixelina I've been thinking of reading these books for some time now so am happy to have been invited to the group. Just now trying to locate them second hand, or just buy them for my kindle.

message 43: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Silverman (silvej01) | 5 comments This is a great idea, Travelling Sunny! I read the 12 "Dance..." novels this past year. I finished some months ago, but the experience is still very much with me. I liked the first couple just fine (4 stars), but as I read on, the power of the books, including the earlier ones already finished, seemed to grow. I'm looking forward to the discussion!

message 44: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb Jeremy wrote: "...as I read on, the power of the books, including the earlier ones already finished, seemed to grow. I'm looking forward to the discussion..."

x2

message 45: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2 comments Hello and welcome, everyone! It's great to see so many interested parties.:)

message 46: by Diane S ☔ (last edited Nov 23, 2015 04:13AM) (new)

Diane S ☔ Thanks for the invite, Bettie. Looking forward to this. Some familiar faces for me as well.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1 comments Thanks for the invite, Bettie - I am in for at least the first volume (as I know my local library has it).

message 48: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 3 comments Hey all. Thanks for the invite Bettie, this ought to be interesting. This is one of those series I've been thinking I really ought to get around to reading, but probably wouldn't have without a push.

message 49: by beentsy (new)

beentsy | 1 comments This looks like a fun pursuit for the new year. First three books acquired and I'm ready to go. Thank you for the invite Bettie!

message 50: by Steve (new)

Steve (smckinney) | 1 comments Thanks for the invitation, Bettie. My library has them all, so I am in. :-)

« previous 1