Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Archive > September 2015 books

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) My picks for September are as follows:

For Dog theme: Krista Davis' Paws and Claws series. The first book is Murder, She Barked (Paws and Claws Mystery #1) by Krista Davis Murder, She Barked

For my other pick: Sue Ann Jaffarian's Ghost of Granny Apples series. The first book is Ghost a la Mode (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #1) by Sue Ann Jaffarian Ghost a la Mode

message 2: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tracey1020) Melodie wrote: "My picks for September are as follows:

For Dog theme: Krista Davis' Paws and Claws series. The first book is Murder, She Barked (Paws and Claws Mystery #1) by Krista DavisMurder, She Barked

For my other..."

LOVE the Granny Apple series!!!!!!

message 3: by Barb (new)

Barb | 725 comments Oh wow, both of those series are on my "read these someday" list. I'll try to get to one (or both?) of them before the end of September :)

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 161 comments I have started Murder, She Barked - great book!

message 5: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 11 comments Melissa wrote: "I have started Murder, She Barked - great book!"

I've ordered my copy from the library - really looking forward to it!

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen (kvelthaus) | 9 comments Just finishing Bewitched, Bothered and Biscotti, a magical bakery myster then I will start that one. looking forward to it.

Kay (Brigidsmomma) Compton (brigidsmomma) | 122 comments Melodie wrote: "My picks for September are as follows:

For Dog theme: Krista Davis' Paws and Claws series. The first book is Murder, She Barked (Paws and Claws Mystery #1) by Krista DavisMurder, She Barked

For my other..."

I just wish that for once, you all'd pick books that don't cost so much... some of us can't afford even one high priced book a month, and not all are available at local libraries either!

message 8: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Kay (Brigidsmomma) wrote: "Melodie wrote: "My picks for September are as follows:

For Dog theme: Krista Davis' Paws and Claws series. The first book is Murder, She Barked (Paws and Claws Mystery #1) by Krista Davis[book:Murder, She Barked|1581086..."

Sorry if my book choices offended you. Maybe you could try used book stores? Unfortunately, we can't do anything about what books cost if you're looking to buy them. They're pretty much the same price wherever you go.

message 9: by Nell (last edited Aug 26, 2015 03:09PM) (new)

Nell | 2757 comments Mod
Kay (Brigidsmomma) wrote: "I just wish that for once, you all'd pick books that don't cost so much... some of us can't afford even one high priced book a month, and not all are available at local libraries either! ..."

Both of Melodie's choices are in paperback and neither is a new release. If your library doesn't have them, you might see if they participate in inter-library loans.

As Melodie mentioned, a great source for lower priced books is a used book store - either a 'bricks and mortar' one in your area or online. Books are half or less than half of the cover price. Book swap sites are another option.

Reading can be pricey and many of us have to budget our expenses. Remember that the themed reads are optional. It's a way for members to suggest and discover new cozy authors. If neither book is available at your library or at a reasonable price in your area, we hope you will participate in other group discussions.

message 10: by Nell (last edited Sep 06, 2015 01:09PM) (new)

Nell | 2757 comments Mod
Alice wrote: "Do I understand this correctly, that themed reads are for people to choose their own reading within that theme and tell the group about them, rather than voting in a single group read?"

No. The group voted on themes for the year. A group member selects the two featured reads/series for the month. One is a theme read - this month's theme is dogs. The other is member's choice.

If you read any cozy other than the featured series, you can tell us about it in the What Cozy Are You Reading? thread.

message 11: by Tina (new)

Tina | 162 comments I too am on a budget. I get older books from thrift stores or yard sales. Once in a while a newer one can be found. But I still love to participate in their discussions. And then read their reviews and hope to get that book in the future. AND this is a friendly site!

message 12: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Barbara wrote: "Nell wrote: "Alice wrote: "Do I understand this correctly, that themed reads are for people to choose their own reading within that theme and tell the group about them, rather than voting in a sing..."

Right, the ones at the beginning of the thread are this month's choices. You can choose any book in either of these 2 series if you want to participate. I just listed the first in each series for those who have never read them and like to read in order!

message 13: by Nell (last edited Sep 06, 2015 01:16PM) (new)

Nell | 2757 comments Mod
The discussion threads for the featured reads are kept open. Even if you don't read a book or series in the month that it is featured, you can read and post comments about any of the books whenever you do read them.

message 14: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2456 comments Mod
Kay, I also can't afford to buy new books, but I'm lucky to have good library systems near me. Some months I can't read both books because one isn't available. Check out the link to the thread about buying or borrowing books and see if there are any new ideas.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...