Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Scottish History

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Can anyone recommend books or authors on Scottish history? I am watching the Outlander series and it has me interested in Scottish clans, the Jacobites and the uprisings against the British. I can't seem to find any books on the subject that are not just romance and sex. I enjoy historical fiction such as Alison Weir and Sharon K. Penman.
Thank you!

message 2: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 598 comments Have you read Robert Louis Stevenson at all? He wrote a little over a century ago, with his stories set a century before that. I believe Kidnapped (published 1886) is the first in his Scottish series. Not all of his books are set in Scotland, but many are. Great storyteller! I reread his books for tips on structure and pacing.

message 3: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 248 comments There's also Sir Walter Scott. His novel Rob Royis about the Scottish outlaw Rob Roy MacGregor.

message 4: by Hamid (last edited Aug 17, 2015 12:55PM) (new)

Hamid Karima | 41 comments I have some friends can guide me and I will write for you.
Bonnie Dundee
by Rosemary Sutcliff
Bonnie Dundee is the tale of a gallant Scottish champion who sacrifices all in the name of honour and loyalty. The narrator of Dundee's story is a young orphan, Hugh Herriott, who leaves his grimly pious Presbyterian relatives - Covenanters who refuse to accept the Catholic King of England as head of the Church in Scotland - to serve in the King's army. His commander is Colonel John Graham of Claverhouse, Viscount Dundee, known to his Jacobite admirers as “Bonnie Dundee”.
The Flight of the Heron by D.K. Broster (1925), #1 in the Jacobite Trilogy about a dashing young Highland chieftain during the Jacobite rebellions of 1715 and 1745.

message 5: by C.P. (last edited Aug 17, 2015 03:28PM) (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 717 comments The First Blast of the Trumpet and The Spider and the Stone: A Novel of Scotland's Black Douglas both fit the bill. The first looks at John Knox, but more at his environment, and the second at Robert the Bruce.

Some of Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles, such as The Game of Kings, also take place in Scotland, as does her King Hereafter (Macbeth). And I have seen a couple of recent books about Queen Margaret; I just haven't read them.

message 7: by Eileen (last edited Aug 17, 2015 05:06PM) (new)

Eileen Iciek | 468 comments I can second the Nigel Tranter trilogy - it was wonderful. There's also Glen Craney's The Spider and the Stone A Novel of Scotland's Black Douglas by Glen Craney The Spider and the Stone: A Novel of Scotland's Black Douglas about Robert the Bruce's closest friend; also Margaret Skea's Turn of the Tide by Margaret Skea Turn of the Tide, which is about the time before James VI of Scotland became James I of England - one particular feud between a couple of families.

Many people love Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles, but I had a hard time getting into it.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 591 comments Recommending the Nigel Tranter Bruce trilogy, as listed two entries above. Absolutely superb.

message 9: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. I have a lot of reading to do!!

message 10: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie Magura (stefmagura) | 3 comments Have you actually begun reading the Outlander book series? It goes into more detail than the tv show which is well done. I also add my name to the chorus recommending Dunnett.

message 12: by Portia (new)

Portia Shomeret wrote: "There's also Sir Walter Scott. His novel Rob Royis about the Scottish outlaw Rob Roy MacGregor."

Played by Liam Neeson in the movie. ;-)

message 13: by Portia (new)

Portia Lindsey wrote: "Queen Hereafter: A Novel of Margaret of Scotland"

I have this book. Is it a good read? Lady MacBeth fascinates me. I think she, like R III, gets bad PR

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 27 comments Portia, if you are interested in Lady Macbeth,you may be interested inLady Macbeth - it's an absorbing retelling of the Lady M story that really brings early medieval Scotland to life and has great characters. Those who enjoyed Queen Hereafter might like Lady Macbeth as both are by Susan Fraser King.

message 15: by happy (new)

happy (happyone) | 44 comments Jack Whyte has trilogy set in the Scottish Wars of Independence (1300s)

https://www.goodreads.com/series/6800...

message 16: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie Magura (stefmagura) | 3 comments Dorothy Dunnett also wrote a book on MacBeth callled King Hereafter

message 17: by Louise (new)

Louise | 20 comments I find Tranter and Scott a bit dry, I must admit. Dorothy Dunnett is hard work and quite tough to get into, but well worth the effort - it's like eating good wholesome fare as opposed to junk food. I'd thoroughly recommend Reay Tannahill's work - Fatal Majesty: A Novel of Mary, Queen of Scots - certainly the best Mary Queen of Scots novel I've read as yet, and also The World, the Flesh and the Devil. Both excellent books, very nice to read and the author has a sense of humour, which makes a refreshing change!

message 18: by C.P. (last edited Nov 29, 2015 05:05PM) (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 717 comments I should have thought of Reay Tannahill. She was a college friend of my mum!

message 19: by Louise (new)

Louise | 20 comments C.P. wrote: "I should have thought of Reay Tannahill. She was a college friend of my mum!"

A fantastic writer!

message 20: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (xtvdhx) The Winter Sea is one of my favorite books, it's during the rising of 1715. It does have romance but little to no sex from what I remember. Written from the POV of a women so you won't see a lot of action. I believe you do read about politics but's its been a while so i'm not entirely sure about that anymore.

message 21: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 1 comments The Highland Witch is a good one about The Glencoe massacres.

message 22: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 295 comments Lady of the Glen: A Novel of 17th-Century Scotland and the Massacre of Glencoe by Jennifer Roberson is also a good one on the Glencoe massacre

message 23: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 1 comments Good one, Lindsey. I added it.

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna Chant | 6 comments I liked The Thirteenth Member: A Story Of Suspense about the plot of a witches coven to assasinate King James VI.

Can I also mention my own book Kenneth's Queen about the rise to power of Kenneth mac Alpin from the point of view of the unknown woman who must have been at his side. It is a romance, but there's a lot of history as well!