2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Norwegian Wood
This topic is about Norwegian Wood
. Week 46: Another Language > Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jasmine (pikakejazz) Haruki Murakami is my favorite non-English language author and his books hold a special place in my heart. I've read several but this is the next one up!

Sophie (sawphie) I'm reading it at the moment and am not sure yet if I like it or not... It's beautifully written and different, but I don't really connect with the characters. I always give books the benefit of the doubt till the end, so we'll see, it can turn out to be a 5 stars!

Jasmine (pikakejazz) He's different to be sure; I think sometimes you have to be in a certain mood for him... But he's still one of the best authors in the magical realism genre, imho...

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments Jasmine wrote: "He's different to be sure; I think sometimes you have to be in a certain mood for him... But he's still one of the best authors in the magical realism genre, imho..."

This is the first and only Murakami book I read so far, and I think it's his only non-magic realism book. I adored it and I'm really curious to read his more usual books. Anyway, I hope you'll like this.

Sophie (sawphie) It didn't turn out to be a five 5, but even though I'm not passionate about this book, I want to read another Murakami. Which one would you recommend?

Jasmine (pikakejazz) I LOVED Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World and A Wild Sheep Chase (the first book of his I ever read). I liked the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle quite a bit too. 1Q84 was a little more difficult to get through, though. There were some things that were more disturbing than in his others (at least to me) and it was SUPER long. Still haven't read his latest Colorless Tsukuru one...

Sophie (sawphie) Thanks for the rec, Jasmine, I'm going to check those books out. Since I'm probably going to finish the challenge early, I'm going to have quite some time for side reads ;)

Jana I read this book for this week, too. I really enjoyed it at the beginning. Then it just got a little too heavy for me. And I really didn't like the way a lot of the characters treated people. Even Midori, who is supposed to be ... some sort of paragon of love and for sticking up for herself, or something. I thought she was a doormat.

Also makes me wonder if suicide is extremely prevalent in Japan.

Anyway, moving on to my next book.

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments Jana wrote: "I read this book for this week, too. I really enjoyed it at the beginning. Then it just got a little too heavy for me. And I really didn't like the way a lot of the characters treated people. E..."

Yes, suicide is very prevalent in Japan. The Kamikaze and samurai suicide are from there, so I guess remnants of that mindset still exists in modern Japan.