History: Actual, Fictional and Legendary discussion

Scottish history

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1 comments Can anyone recommend books or authors about Scottish history? I am watching the Outlander series and it has me interested in highland clans, Jacobites and the uprisings against the English. I can't seem to find many books on the topic. I really enjoy historical fiction such as Alison Weir and Sharon K. Penman. Thank you!!

message 2: by Chris (last edited Aug 19, 2015 06:30AM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 5 comments I enjoyed The Winter Sea (Slains, #1) by Susanna Kearsley and The Firebird (Slains, #2) by Susanna Kearsley Susanna Kearsley's Jacobite series.

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara Dahmen | 7 comments Oh - a super oldie but goodie. :) My Lord Monleigh, by Jan Cox Speas. My mom read it back in the 70's I think, and I read it in the 90's and it went over my head...must re-read myself now come to think of it... :)

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 5 comments That looks good, Sara!

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara Dahmen | 7 comments I hope you like it! It is a good one. Nice and wordy. :)

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 5 comments Having a hard time finding a digital copy that isn't trop cher.

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara Dahmen | 7 comments Oh yeah...it's pretty old...I bet it's not available digitally. Sorry--didn't think of that. You might have to read it old style. :)

message 8: by Jack (new)

Jack | 4 comments I love history and fantasy. Would Scotland be a good setting for a fantasy novel do you think?

message 9: by Jyl Milner (new)

Jyl Milner | 1 comments Sure it would! Just ask Diana Gabaldon, whose blockbuster series "Outlander" started out there!