All About Books discussion

True History of the Kelly Gang
This topic is about True History of the Kelly Gang
The 100 Best Novels > Week 100 - True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Leslie | 15985 comments The final book in this list is True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey from 2000.

"Peter Carey rounds off our list of literary milestones with a Booker prize-winning tour-de-force examining the life and times of Australia’s infamous antihero, Ned Kelly."

You can read the full article in the Guardian here.

Leslie | 15985 comments I have heard about this book but not read it. I like historical fiction though I have had mixed results with the Booker Prize-winners.

message 3: by Pink (new)

Pink Interesting choice and not one I'd have even thought of. I have mixed feelings about the Booker too, even though I always get sucked into the discussions about nominations.

I noticed that Robert McCrum wrote an article explaining his choices over the past two years. It's worth a read and addresses the problems of compiling such a list.

Link to the Guardian article below.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015...

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't envy him. I am not as well read but I find it difficult to chose 10 favourites! He wanted to chose books that had an impact but that were personal favourites

message 5: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments I've not read this book, but I've read Oscar And Lucinda which I enjoyed.

message 6: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11470 comments Mod
Haven't heard of this book but it does sound interesting.