CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2015 Weekly Threads > Week 33: What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (last edited Aug 17, 2015 08:52AM) (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) How is everyone's summer going? I can't believe we're already at the end!

Here's what I'm reading:
The Fold by Peter Clines
The Fold by Peter Clines
Boxers by Gene Luen Yang
Boxers (Boxers & Saints, #1) by Gene Luen Yang
Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari
Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari
Shadow's Edge by Brent Weeks
Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2) by Brent Weeks

I feel like I have a pretty good mix going on for once, between sci-fi, historical fiction, graphic novel, nonfiction and fantasy.

What are you reading this week?

message 2: by Ann (last edited Aug 17, 2015 10:41AM) (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 451 comments I'm still reading Information Doesn't Want to be free by Cory Doctorow, and last week I read The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer. I'm reading Lord of the Wings by Donna Andrews and Number9Dream by David Mitchell. Not sure what else I'll read.
Information Doesn't Want to Be Free Laws for the Internet Age by Cory Doctorow The Art of Asking; or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Let People Help by Amanda Palmer Lord of the Wings (Meg Langslow, #19) by Donna Andrews number9dream by David Mitchell

message 3: by Sunny (last edited Aug 17, 2015 11:30AM) (new)

Sunny (travellingsunny) | 15 comments Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard (finished last night)
A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) by George R.R. Martin (ongoing...)
Quicksand by Nella Larsen (this week)
Armada by Ernest Cline (this week)
The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood (maybe)

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Ann wrote: "I'm still reading Information Doesn't Want to be free by Cory Doctorow, and last week I read The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer. I'm reading Lord of the Wings by Donna Andrews and Number9Dream by D..."

What did you think of Amanda Palmer's book? I've always admired her music and performance art but really have no idea what to expect from a memoir.

message 5: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 709 comments Mod
I haven't really been keeping up with my reading over the last few weeks. Some days it's just nice to curl up with Netflix. Lol. I did, however, blaze through Felicia Day's memoir You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost). Such a good book.

This week my goal is to finish books! Currently working on The Buried Giant, The Hunt for the Golden Mole, and The Demon Trapper's Daughter .
You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro The Hunt for the Golden Mole All Creatures Great and Small, and Why They Matter by Richard Girling The Demon Trapper's Daughter (The Demon Trappers, #1) by Jana Oliver

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Joanna, I am currently listening to her book. I had NO IDEA that she was a child prodigy in so many areas, especially after barely going to school and not even getting a high school diploma. I have been laughing at loud throughout the book. It makes me want to drop everything I'm doing and just embrace the geek inside - nerd out to video games and comic books!

message 7: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 709 comments Mod
Liz wrote: "Joanna, I am currently listening to her book. I had NO IDEA that she was a child prodigy in so many areas, especially after barely going to school and not even getting a high school diploma. I have..."

I know! I mean, I knew she played the violin and had a math degree but I did not realize that she was a prodigy in those areas. Her life story is really amazing. And she does really make you want to embrace what is geeky/nerdy about yourself and not be afraid to let it shine.

(So, is the audiobook really good? She narrates, right? I love the way she talks so I'm seriously tempted to buy the audiobook and listen to it even though I just read the book. Lol)

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 451 comments Liz wrote: "Ann wrote: "I'm still reading Information Doesn't Want to be free by Cory Doctorow, and last week I read The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer. I'm reading Lord of the Wings by Donna Andrews and Numbe..."

It was a very interesting book (I read it twice). She talks about how she created the relationship that she has with her group, and about how in the beginning of their relationship she couldn't ask Neil to lend her money (even after they were married).