UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Agony Aunt > Council Or Private Rent

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Vernon | 61 comments My girlfriend is planning on moving and she is looking at both sides of the argument.

Private is in a better area but is expensive (yet she can just about afford it).

Council is cheaper but the area is (or so we have heard is slightly rough).

What are or opinions

message 2: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1790 comments "Slightly rough" could mean almost anything.

I would suggest that if she can get into a council place she should grab it with both hands, the rent's a lot cheaper, far greater protection, and the properties are extremely hard to come by these days, depending on the area!

message 3: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 3055 comments I don't know much about council renting (except that they're as rare as gold dust!) but have a good look at an area. Don't just take other people's opinions of an area as gospel. A lot of places in my area are being redeveloped by councils or just given a bit of a facelift.

message 4: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments If she's single and not already in Council accommodation, chances are she'll be on the waiting list until she retires. Single people don't get a look in around our area.

If she is lucky enough to be offered a place, I believe (but check on this) that she can refuse the first two properties before being sent to the back of the queue.

However 'slightly rough' is a matter of opinion - just one family can pull an area down, but so long as you don't live right next door, remember they won't be there forever.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I'd grit my teeth and go for the cheaper rent and bank every spare penny for a down payment on owning a real home.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21839 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "I'd grit my teeth and go for the cheaper rent and bank every spare penny for a down payment on owning a real home."

Yes, for this go council, but I don't think she'll have much chance of getting it.
They're far cheaper and that's why people queue to get in.

message 7: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Aug 17, 2015 11:11AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Sorry, going off topic...

Some of you might have seen my post late last week about walking through the streets of Baku on a simmering summer evening and seeing the housing situation here.
Doors were wide open, trying to catch the slightest breath of a breeze. Wasn't my first time seeing into the average home but it brought it back to me how truly grateful I am to have a first world living space.
I don't have to share one or two rooms with three generations of my family. My toilet and kitchen isn't at the community stand pipe. I don't have to get up at 3am to knead my bread dough and carry it to the local bakers by 5am in hopes it gets cooked before its spoiled. (Bribe required)
I don't have to send my daughter(s) to carry water rather than attend school.
I don't have to decide which son to educate in hopes he'll support me in my dotage.
I don't have to guide my mother to the choice place to set up her begging bowl and collect her 12 hours later.

One of the richest countries in the world; starving children yet dogs and cats fed on the choicest cuts of meat.

Stick a pin in the globe.

I've just described anywhere.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1691 comments I lived in central Africa for four and a half years, Patti, and life was very similar there except they had mud huts instead of proper housing.

It really makes me enormously grateful for the simplest of things. I'm not kidding, a plastic bag was a luxury out there and I would wash them out and reuse them over and over again.

Getting back to housing here, I think it's important to feel safe in your neighbourhood but beyond that - take the cheapest and save like mad for your own place, just as others have said above.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Ah well. Plenty of people in the UK still live in mud huts. They just call it wattle and daub and make it a listed building. ;)

message 10: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1612 comments I think feeling safe ranks quite highly in my list of priorities. And although you can't guarantee that even with private landlord homes, I would feel safer in a not so 'rough' postcode.

message 11: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Vernon | 61 comments Found somewhere - private rent

message 12: by Pat () (new)

Pat ()  | 29 comments Sounds like the right choice. Hope all goes well for her.

message 13: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Vernon | 61 comments Pat (Scorpio) wrote: "Sounds like the right choice. Hope all goes well for her."

The area was rough, had a look around and there was doors kicked in and windows with wood panels over them. Also 7 people that live round there said don't bother.... that was where the council offered her.