Steinbeck fans discussion

Sweet Thursday

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Buck (last edited Aug 17, 2015 01:01PM) (new)

Buck (spectru) | 58 comments I finally got around to reading Sweet Thursday. I really had meant to read it sooner, but things happen.

Sweet Thursday is the sequel to Steinbeck's famous Cannery Row. It takes place after Doc returns from his service in the war, World War II. John Steinbeck's most widely read and most famous books, The Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden, and Of Mice and Men, though not thoroughly dark, are tragic. Sweet Thursday is light and comedic, truly a pleasure to read. It's not a long novel, but I didn't read it quickly. I found myself taking the time to savor it. It put me in mind, a little bit, of his much earlier Tortilla Flat, though I think I enjoyed ST much more.

At the end of The Log from the Sea of Cortez one will find Appendix: About Ed Ricketts. This appendix was added years after the Log was written, after the death of Ed Ricketts. It is a true thing, pure Steinbeck. Cannery Row was written before Ed Ricketts was killed. The character of Doc was openly based on Ricketts and the place of Cannery Row was the place Ricketts lived and worked. Sweet Thursday was written later, as an homage I imagine, to Doc, Steinbeck's dear friend Ed Ricketts. I recommend reading these three things relatively close together and in this order: Appendix: About Ed Ricketts (from the Log from the Sea of Cortez), then Cannery Row, then Sweet Thursday. It's unlikely that anyone will read these in this order. I didn't. Almost surely, Sweet Thursday would follow Cannery Row, naturally. About Ed Rickets ought to be in there somewhere.

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott | 24 comments Friend Ed in Burning Bright--my least favorite Steinbeck book, but I know people who really like it--is also based on or inspired by Ricketts, who had only recently died when the book was written.

message 3: by MollyRN (new)

MollyRN | 2 comments Buck wrote: "I finally got around to reading Sweet Thursday. I really had meant to read it sooner, but things happen.

Sweet Thursday is the sequel to Steinbeck's famous Cannery Row. It takes pl..."

Thanks for this. I think I will do just that.

message 4: by Allison (new)

Allison Wilke | 1 comments Thank you for the info- I, too, have been meaning to read Sweet Thursday, but it has been sitting on my bookshelf getting leapfrogged by other books. I will certainly read the Sea of Cortez appendix, then re-read Cannery Row, and lastly Sweet Thursday. I am so glad to have read this, as Cannery Row is a favorite of mine, and Doc is one of my favorite characters of all time. I will also be sure to read Friend Ed in Burning Bright. I'm so glad I come on Goodreads and extra glad I joined this group!

happy reading!