Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Weekly Reading > What are you reading August 17?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2088 comments Mod
Starting this week with King by T.M. Frazier, King of Hearts by L.H. Cosway, and Her Fighter by Penny Ward

message 2: by Manda (last edited Aug 17, 2015 08:40AM) (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1916 comments Mod
This weekend I read an ARC of Lauren Layne's Irresistibly Yours, which is the first book in her Oxford Series (a spinoff of the Stiletto Series about the love and relationship columnists for women's magazine Stiletto) about the male writers for men's magazine Oxford. If you haven't tried these books you're missing out. They're a great blend of sexy and sweet and remind me of a more earnest lighter Sex and the City. The slightly madcap feel takes me back a bit to Marianne Stillings early books--but without the mystery element. The first Stiletto book is After the Kiss if you're interested.

Now I'm reading some backlist Victoria Dahl. Finished Talk Me Down last night which I enjoyed.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 1017 comments I seem to be on a World War I & 1920's kick lately. I'm currently reading Kate Breslin, Not by Sight. The heroine is obviously a twit as the book begins; 18 years old, unsupervised, and has never been told that Heirs of Earls were not allowed to enlist during WWI because the Government did not want the House of Lords to disappear. By 1917, Government officials knew that most soldiers ended up as cannon fodder.

message 4: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2093 comments Mod
I sense a Jo Goodman re read binge coming ...

message 5: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
I'm skim rereading this week for a stack of reviews that are due by Friday. Today's books were Tessa Dare's When a Scot Ties the Knot and Robyn Carr's Wildest Dreams. Tomorrow I will do a quick reread of Mary Balogh's Only a Kiss and Mary Jo Putney's Not Quite a Saint. These are all books I loved, so rereading is no hardship. :)

Manda, I made a note about the Laura Layne books. If they remind you of Stillings, I'm sure I will enjoy them. I'm sad she is giving up on writing.

message 6: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1275 comments Okie, I'm very interested to see what you think of King. I'm tempted but it may be a bit out of my comfort zone. I need to toughen up (grrr).

Manda, just bought the first one in the series you recommended :-) ♥

message 7: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2093 comments Mod
I liked the Stiletto series too. I tried a couple of her earlier books and wasn't as thrilled.

message 8: by Manda (new)

I'm sad about Stillings too, Janga. I hope she's having a good time away from writing.

Hope you like it, Stacey!

I haven't gone back any further than the first Stiletto book, Deb. Thanks for the warning.

message 9: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2088 comments Mod
Stacey is Sassy wrote: "Okie, I'm very interested to see what you think of King. I'm tempted but it may be a bit out of my comfort zone. I need to toughen up (grrr)"

Stacey, I stayed up way past my bedtime last night finishing up King. Normally, I wouldn't care, cos who needs sleep. Right? lol But I get up at 4am to run, so I was hurtin' bad this morning. I finished King and it's pretty raw and gritty. Its everything that makes you cringe. King ended with a dang crazy cliffhanger and I had to download book2- Tyrant. If you decide to give it a try, let me know your thoughts.

message 10: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1275 comments Okie wrote: "Stacey is Sassy wrote: "Okie, I'm very interested to see what you think of King. I'm tempted but it may be a bit out of my comfort zone. I need to toughen up (grrr)"

Stacey, I stayed up way past..."

I just started it last night. Didn't really get too deep into it because I'd heard about the "King sleepless night syndrome" and decided to wait till today to get sucked in :-) ♥

message 11: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments I got caught up in Marilyn Pappano's Tallgrass series. I'm liking it. I'm on book 3 now and just put book 4 on hold at the library.

message 12: by Janga (new)

Irisheyes wrote: "I got caught up in Marilyn Pappano's Tallgrass series. I'm liking it. I'm on book 3 now and just put book 4 on hold at the library."

I really like that series, Irish. It's a different perspective on a military community, and I think Pappano does an excellent job of portraying grief and the different ways individuals deal with loss.

message 13: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments Janga wrote: "Irisheyes wrote: "I got caught up in Marilyn Pappano's Tallgrass series. I'm liking it. I'm on book 3 now and just put book 4 on hold at the library."

I really like that series, Irish. It's a di..."

I'm enjoying it, Janga. I've seen Marilyn's name around for years but have never tried one of her books before. She was a pleasant surprise. Does she have any backlist series I should look into?

message 14: by Janga (new)

Irisheyes wrote: "Janga wrote: "Irisheyes wrote: "I got caught up in Marilyn Pappano's Tallgrass series. I'm liking it. I'm on book 3 now and just put book 4 on hold at the library."

I really like that series, Ir..."

Her Bethlehem series is a favorite of mine, Irish. Season for Miracles, the fist book, is well-known because it was adapted as a Christmas movie, but the whole nine-book series is strong--3.5-5 stars for me. I especially like Father to Be (book 3) andFirst Kiss (book 4), and Some Enchanted Season (book 2) was the book that persuaded me that I could like a book that broke the adultery taboo.

message 15: by Manda (new)

Janga said: "Some Enchanted Season (book 2) was the book that persuaded me that I could like a book that broke the adultery taboo."

That's a pretty strong endorsement! Gonna have to check her out.

message 16: by Janga (new)

Manda wrote: "Janga said: "Some Enchanted Season (book 2) was the book that persuaded me that I could like a book that broke the adultery taboo."

That's a pretty strong endorsement! Gonna have to check her out."

It's an amnesia plot too, Manda, which rarely works for me. But Pappano made me believe in and care about the characters. That's always the most important thing IMO.

message 17: by Phoenix77 (new)

Phoenix77 | 346 comments I've been working on Tremaine's True Love by Grace Burrowes, but it's moving at a very slow pace. I appreciate how her last few books have been character driven, putting the emphasis on emotions and just how they fall in love; however in this one it's just taking too long. And all the talk of sheep is REALLY making me sleepy.