Puffin Pals Book Club discussion

I'll Give You the Sun
This topic is about I'll Give You the Sun
August 2015 > I'll Give You the Sun - Final Thoughts

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anoushka (anoushkasameer) | 10 comments Hey everyone!
I'm sure a few of you have finished our August book of the month which is I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson. I'd love to hear your final thoughts on the book!

I actually read this book last year so this was a re-read for me. I really did enjoy this book, I think it is so beautifully written and I fell in love with Jude and Noah. I was really able to connect with them, and care for them as characters. It was so intriguing to read from both of their P.O.Vs and this book gave me an overload of feels! I'd definitely give it a 5/5 stars.

Let me know what you thought of the book down below! Let's talk about it, because I'm sure some of you must be dying to express your feelings about it. ;)

mica (foldedforests) I fell in love with this book! I enjoyed it so much.

Jude and Noah are amazing characters and having both POV made the story very emotional. Their struggles felt real.

Kaytlynn Simmons | 5 comments For once this is a book that I didn't mind different POVs.

Anoushka (anoushkasameer) | 10 comments Kaytlynn wrote: "For once this is a book that I didn't mind different POVs."

Mica wrote: "I fell in love with this book! I enjoyed it so much.

Jude and Noah are amazing characters and having both POV made the story very emotional. Their struggles felt real."

Ooh, yes! The P.O.Vs definitely helped me get to know the characters a whole lot better.

message 5: by t. (new) - rated it 5 stars

t. (lavidaenquotes) Not only the different POVs were interesting, but the fact that Noah's was when they were 13/14 and Jude's when they were 16.

We got to see how things started to lead them to a stage where they were no longer themselves and then once they were already impostors in their own skin, as Jude puts it. The cause and the aftermath. How what they both concealed from each other drove them to that point and, now to put it in Noah's words, sucked out the color of their lives and the world.

This is what I liked the most. Getting to know both twins this way, knowing what they were thinking and feeling and their inner struggles. Disliking Jude as a Hornet and then mind-yelling at Noah to go back to be himself when he had this 'normal' going on. Shifting from this to the other as the POV and the time line changed.

bathified | 5 comments I loved the different point of views and getting to know the characters at different times in their life. It went from Noah's imaginative point of view where art was his everything; he lived and breathed it, to Jude's point of view where she was discovering her true ability in art and how it helps her cope and communicate with her mother. In the first few chapters of Jude's point of view I really preferred reading Noah's but as the book progressed I found myself liking Jude as much as I liked Noah. When I found out that Noah had become 'normal' I was so frustrated, I just wanted to shake him and tell him to be himself again!

Another thing I liked in the book were the connections with Noah in the past and things he experience and people he met to Jude in the future. I liked how everything was connected and how these connections all clicked in the end of the book.

I read I'll Give You the Sun in one sitting because I just couldn't put it down without knowing what would happen. There were no parts that were boring or too long and I really loved all the characters. Jandy Nelson is an amazing author and I'll definitely be putting her other book on my to-be-read list!

➳Halina➳ I really enjoyed the time difference between Jude's and Noah's POVs because it let me figure things out for myself. I absolutely loved it when things clicked into place and I went "Ah-ha!" However, I sort of wished there were at least one chapter told in Noah's POV when he was 16 and vice versa. I also loved how all the characters were so complex and developed- it's hard to find a book like that!

Also I could not get over Nelson's writing style during Noah's POV! I couldn't get enough of it! I know some people might think all of those metaphors were sort of overkill but I think they really reflected his character and what he was hiding inside. Overall, Noah was my favorite character- he was just so different and unlike any character in any book I've ever read. Plus, he and Brian are such a cute couple! I was so mad when they got into that fight but so happy when they got back together at the end.

I'll Give You the Sun is definitely one of my favorite books, and Jandy Nelson is without a doubt my favorite author (I read her other book and it was just as amazing). The plot and characters and the way the book was set up were just so different and intense that I couldn't put it down!

Anoushka (anoushkasameer) | 10 comments ➳Halina➳ wrote: "I really enjoyed the time difference between Jude's and Noah's POVs because it let me figure things out for myself. I absolutely loved it when things clicked into place and I went "Ah-ha!" However,..."

Bethany wrote: "I loved the different point of views and getting to know the characters at different times in their life. It went from Noah's imaginative point of view where art was his everything; he lived and br..."

tiss wrote: "Not only the different POVs were interesting, but the fact that Noah's was when they were 13/14 and Jude's when they were 16.

We got to see how things started to lead them to a stage where they we..."

I'm really glad all of you enjoyed this book! I completely agree with you. The writing really stood out to me in a beautiful and unique way. I hope to read Jandy Nelson's other book soon, though I've heard it's not as amazing as this one.

Nette VC (nettevc) I finished it yesterday and I absolutely adored it! I can't even express my love for this masterpiece. I know a lot of you found it hard to get into but I can honestly say I loved it from the first page XD <3

message 10: by Fateme (new) - added it

Fateme kerdegari (Fkerdegariyahoocom) | 5 comments you guys make me feel kinda hungry for the books !and I really appreciate it ..

Kassay I haven't been able to log into my account for like a week, so sorry about that. I really enjoyed this book. It was unpredictable for the most part, which was nice and kept me wanting to finish the book. It did, however, take me a while (about pg.200) to start liking the book.

Anoushka (anoushkasameer) | 10 comments Kassay wrote: "I haven't been able to log into my account for like a week, so sorry about that. I really enjoyed this book. It was unpredictable for the most part, which was nice and kept me wanting to finish the..."

Yeah, it took me a while to get into the book too! The second half totally made up for that though.