YA and Beyond discussion

TOP 5 > Top 5 Dystopian

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

*b*l*u*e*m*o*o*n* | 986 comments Mod
I know we did science-fiction favorites, but I think Dystopian novels is a huge section of sci-fi. So list your top 5 dystopian novels.

here are my top 5

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Rot and Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) by Jonathan Maberry Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness

Honorable Mention:
The City of Ember (Book of Ember, #1) by Jeanne DuPrau Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1) by Susan Beth Pfeffer Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee

message 3: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman Ink and Bone (The Great Library, #1) by Rachel Caine The Looking Glass Wars (The Looking Glass Wars, #1) by Frank Beddor

honorable mentions for
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline The Road by Cormac McCarthy

message 4: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie @Bluemoon I haven't read Rot & Ruin yet but it sounds good! same for Knife, which I'm super excited for bc Patrick Ness <3

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 6961 comments Mod
Ashley you must read both books immediately! hahaha Rot & Ruin is great on audiobook btw - I guess you miss some of the pictures but I just looked at the books at the library afterwards.

The Road was so depressing I will never read it again but it was definitely an awesome and realistic dystopian read! I love all 5 of your top picks too :)

message 7: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Thanks Heidi! I'm planning a Rot & Ruin BR with my friend Sarah hopefully in a couple months.

ASHLEY: Heidi is right! Those two is a must read!

message 9: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 836 comments Awesome choices so far! Mine are:
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy, #1) by Pierce Brown The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) by Moira Young

DAVID: I wanted to get into Blood Red Road, but I didn't like the first one. Does it get better?

message 11: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 836 comments I thought the first book was the best one, so if you didn't enjoy it then I'd skip the other two.

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments OMG This is TOO HARD...My brain is melting just trying to think this one through! (Doesn't help that this week has been crazy at work, I'm so exhausted!)

I'll get back to you guys.

DAVID: thanks for the input!

Jenny wrote: "OMG This is TOO HARD...My brain is melting just trying to think this one through! (Doesn't help that this week has been crazy at work, I'm so exhausted!)

I'll get back to you guys."

hahaha - no hurry Jenny!

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman Ink and Bone (The Great Library, #1) by Rachel Caine The Looking Glass Wars (The Looking Glass Wars, #1) by Frank Beddor

honorable mentions for
[boo..."

I forgot Ready Player One!

message 17: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "The Ask and the AnswerThe Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2) by Patrick Ness

The RoadThe Road by Cormac McCarthy

UnwindUnwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman

[book:Delirium|1161471..."

I feel bad because it seems like I'm the only person who couldn't get into Angelfall for anything lol. I wanted to love it but I ended up DNFing around the halfway point.

It happens Ashley. I always seem to have a different opinion about super popular books.

No need to feel bad, Ashley. We all have different tastes.

message 20: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 440 comments Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "I feel bad because it seems like I'm the only person who couldn't get into Angelfall for anything lol. I wanted to love it but I ended up DNFing around the halfway point."

That's when you shrug and say "can't love them all." Then just give the book a respectful little tap in thanks for all of the friends you had who it made feel something special, and move on to something that will hopefully do the same for you.

message 21: by Donna (new)

Donna (bookdragongirl) Well said Tommy!

message 22: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 836 comments Bluemoon wrote: "DAVID: thanks for the input!"

No worries!

message 23: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 836 comments Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "The Ask and the AnswerThe Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2) by Patrick Ness

The RoadThe Road by Cormac McCarthy

UnwindUnwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman

[book:Delirium|1161471..."

Wow, just wow. I'm honored to be included in your list!

Most deserved and welcome David :)

message 25: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 836 comments *big smile*

message 26: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments I'm still trying to narrow my list down. This one is SO HARD!!!! *sighing dramatically*

hahaha Jenny. Good luck.

message 28: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 440 comments At this moment, top of my head:

1. Divergent(loved the anti-extremism vibe that I picked up)

2. Chaos Walking

3. Under the Never Sky

4. Hunger Games

5. ... whoa. Can't think of a 5th. Weird, I know I've read many more haha.

message 29: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 836 comments Ha! Your top four are strong enough to cover for your missing 5th one :) Let us know if you can think of one.