Libri Labra Book Club discussion

Book Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Desirai (new)

Desirai | 254 comments Mod
For me, the most exciting part of a book club is getting to read things you wouldn't normally select yourself. That being said I'd love to know what books are on your to-read and/or wish list. Whatcha got?

message 2: by Maranda (new)

Maranda Carvell (marandacarvell) | 16 comments I'd like to read Armada, the new Ernest Cline. I don't know if anyone else is interested but I really want to read Willie Nelson's new memoir. I haven't read George Takei's book yet either...

message 3: by Tom (last edited Aug 18, 2015 09:05AM) (new)

Tom | 263 comments Let's see...

Books I've loved but would not have read but for book club:
Sophie's Choice by William Styron
Saturday by Ian McEwan
The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry

Books I've selected for book club:
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn
If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino
B Is for Beer by Tom Robbins
Tartuffe by Molière

Challenging books I've loved but would not recommend anyone to read (unless of course they like that sort of thing...)
The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
Ulysses by James Joyce

Books I love:
A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand

Suggestions for a book club (including the above, with the exception of The Sound and The Fury and Ulysses)
Benjamin Franklin's Bastard: A Novel by Sally Cabot
The Misremembered Man by Christina McKenna
Silo Saga by Hugh Howey (Wool Omnibus, Shift, Dust)

message 4: by Desirai (last edited Aug 18, 2015 07:50AM) (new)

Maranda wrote: "I'd like to read Armada, the new Ernest Cline. I don't know if anyone else is interested but I really want to read Willie Nelson's new memoir. I haven't read George Takei's book yet either..."

I would like to read Armada and George Takei's book as well. Especially since I already own "Oh myyy!". I'll list a few I'm interested in reading, though they won't all be book club material. However, I'm a big fan of YA so you'll noticed a lot of that.

Armada by Earnest Cline
Oh Myyy! by George Takei
Bossypants by Tina Fey
All Dogs Go to Kevin: Everything Three Dogs Taught Me by Jessica Vogelsang
Why We Are Born: Remembering Our Purpose through the Akashic Records by Akemi G
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks
The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook, a Tale of Sex, Money, Genius and Betrayal by Ben Mezrich
Suddenly Psychic: A Skeptic's Journey by Maureen Caudill
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain
Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight
Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Drapper
A Work in Progress by Connor Franta
Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives by Dan Millman
You're Never Weird on the Internet by Felicia Day
Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brenee Brown
Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

message 5: by Tom (last edited Aug 17, 2015 04:17PM) (new)

Tom | 263 comments A friend of mine just listened to the audiobook version of Bossypants and liked it a lot.

I remember that Amelia was going to be the next book for TMG Book Club v1.0 - looked interesting, and I may already have it on my Kindle because of that. Edited to add: Yup. It's on my Kindle.

message 6: by Maranda (new)

Maranda Carvell (marandacarvell) | 16 comments I listened to Bossypants on audiobook. It was good not great, definitely better read by Tina Fey although she was strangely stiff.

message 7: by Tom (new)

Tom | 263 comments One author who I prefer to hear rather than read is David Sedaris. Hearing him reading his stories is a good time.

message 8: by Desirai (new)

I have a few David Sedaris books I've never read.

message 9: by Tom (new)

Tom | 263 comments Desirai wrote: "I have a few David Sedaris books I've never read."

Try them on audiobook. If you got them from Amazon, maybe you can get the Audible version for a reduced price. It's well worth it in my opinion.

message 10: by Tom (new)

Tom | 263 comments In reading Desirai's original post, I realize I listed all books I've read as suggestions. That said, I really don't have a plan as to what book to read next - due to Kindle sales alone, I already have close to 600 books in the Amazon Cloud to choose from. So even if I stopped buying books right now (like that's going to happen), it'd take me some years to complete what I've already got.

message 11: by Tom (new)

Tom | 263 comments A romance novel that's making waves in the romance community is For Such a Time by Kate Breslin. Why? Here's an article that explains the controversy.

message 18: by Mary (last edited Oct 20, 2015 08:59PM) (new)

Mary Crawford-wilson An old student of mine wrote these reviews! http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertain...