Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Iced (Fever, #6)
This topic is about Iced
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived "Buddy Reads" > Iced (Fever #6) by Karen Marie Moning [Start Date: September 14, 2015]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Sep 16, 2015 09:07AM) (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4356 comments
Cover Cover

Iced by Karen Marie Moning

The year is 1 AWC—After the Wall Crash. The Fae are free and hunting us. It’s a war zone out there, and no two days are alike. I’m Dani O’Malley, the chaos-filled streets of Dublin are my home, and there’s no place I’d rather be.

Dani “Mega” O’Malley plays by her own set of rules—and in a world overrun by Dark Fae, her biggest rule is: Do what it takes to survive. Possessing rare talents and the all-powerful Sword of Light, Dani is more than equipped for the task. In fact, she’s one of the rare humans who can defend themselves against the Unseelie. But now, amid the pandemonium, her greatest gifts have turned into serious liabilities.

Dani’s ex–best friend, MacKayla Lane, wants her dead, the terrifying Unseelie princes have put a price on her head, and Inspector Jayne, the head of the police force, is after her sword and will stop at nothing to get it. What’s more, people are being mysteriously frozen to death all over the city, encased on the spot in sub-zero, icy tableaux.

When Dublin’s most seductive nightclub gets blanketed in hoarfrost, Dani finds herself at the mercy of Ryodan, the club’s ruthless, immortal owner. He needs her quick wit and exceptional skill to figure out what’s freezing Fae and humans dead in their tracks—and Ryodan will do anything to ensure her compliance.

Dodging bullets, fangs, and fists, Dani must strike treacherous bargains and make desperate alliances to save her beloved Dublin—before everything and everyone in it gets iced.
✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣

Please feel free to join us. As always expect spoilers.

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters PPDQs*
September 14 Prologue – Chp. 11 Shosho
September 15 Chp. 12 – 22 Gisela
September 16 Chp. 23 – 32 Gisela
September 17 Chp. 33 – 44 ????
*PPDQs = Person Posting Discussion Questions

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4356 comments Reserved.

message 3: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm in.

message 4: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Me too!

message 5: by Sue (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sue | 205 comments I'm in

message 6: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I got my book , I'm ready for Monday.

message 7: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Are you doing the first set of Q's or want me to do them?

message 8: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "Are you doing the first set of Q's or want me to do them?"

I'll do it.

message 9: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm nervous about this book, I really hope that it's not as bad as some of the reviews says it is. In any case Burned supposed to get rid of all the problems this book has.

message 10: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Yeah, I'm a bit apprehensive about it. At least you'll share my pain if there's any! :D

message 11: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela and Sue, how long do you think it will take us to read this? It's 495 pages, 3 or 4 days?

I'm listening to shadowfever on 2x speed, I remember what happened but not the details and names.

message 12: by Sue (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sue | 205 comments ShoSho wrote: "Gisela and Sue, how long do you think it will take us to read this? It's 495 pages, 3 or 4 days?

I'm listening to shadowfever on 2x speed, I remember what happened but not the details and names."

4 days (14 hour narration, I can't speed up narrations it just ruins it for me) just because of the mid-week start. But I'll be done by the 19th because I'll be offline for a week.

message 13: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments 4 days, :)

message 14: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments 4 days it is :)

message 15: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4356 comments I took the liberty of breaking it down for you!

message 16: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Thanks , River!

message 17: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments The earliest I can do the Qs is in 24 hours. Is it OK?
Have you started reading?

message 18: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments That's fine with me, I haven't started yet.

message 19: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "That's fine with me, I haven't started yet."

okay :)

message 20: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Just to let you know I started.

message 21: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm only 10% in , it's very good so far.
One thing about the situation that Danny is in , it's an adult situation, she's killing things ,she's living alone and she watches things that no 14 year old should know about! It would have been better to have a an adult MC for this book but as long as Ryodan's attention and touches doesn't turn lecherous I'm okay with Danny and her story.

message 22: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments BTW I finished Shadowfever and gave it 5 stars this time around. It was 4 stars when I first read it.

message 23: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Sep 14, 2015 07:29PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I'm 20% in and I agree with you. I'm not comfortable with a 14 y/o in situations Dani is in. Also her arrogance and cockyness are starting to get on my nerves.

One more thing, Force= mass × acceleration, at the speed Dani moves if she runs into something she would break aall the bones in her body. Is it mentioned if she has super bones? The amount of times she brags about her powers have my eyes rolling... Needless to say I'm not enjoying her voice. Ryodan, sounds yummy though. When I started listening I hadn't realized that this had 2 narrators so I was surprised when I heard Ryodan's voice.Both narrators have done an excellent job so far.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 327 comments Gisela wrote: "I'm 20% in and I agree with you. I'm not comfortable with a 14 y/o in situations Dani is in. Also her arrogance and cockeness are starting to get on my nerves.

One more thing, Force= mass × accel..."

Ditto.

message 25: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: " Is it mentioned if she has super bones? "

She didn't say she has superbones but she said something close when she was comparing herself to Jo. She said other folks die so easily and she can take more than everyone else.

message 26: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm @15%

message 27: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Sep 14, 2015 08:39PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments ShoSho's Question for Prologue – Chp. 11

1. The sidhd-seers thinking Cruce is beautiful and angelic is making me nervous. It appears that he can work his magic from the inside of the ice and tempt them to free him of his prison. Is Kat strong enough to resist him? Are we going to see a change in leadership of the Sidhe-seers in this book?

2. What is Danny’s glass house? What is her secret? Is it how her mother treated her or something else?

3. Hmm Christian is attracted to Danny and it seems he started following her around. What do you think of his feelings towards her ? What’s with his scratchy back? Is he growing wings?

4. Jo got herself in the tarp by following Danny. What do you think of her transformation and her waitressing? Is she going to survive the book?

5. Is Dancer too good to be true? We haven’t seem much of him but what do you think of him so far?

6. I can’t think of a world without cows and fresh produce, what are they going to do to after they go through all their canned and packaged food? Are there any farms left?

7. Who is doing the icing? A new baddie or someone on the good side or someone we know from before? Why does Roydan want Danny to investigate? She doesn’t know much about fae as she admitted herself. Is it only because she watches things carefully?

8. What do you think of Ryordan and his motives and actions? Does he read her mind?

9. ewwww! Fat eating bug !! What do you think? What’s the catch? Would you have tried it?

10. Who is behind The Dublin daily? And why are they imitating Danny? Are they provoking her or just too stupid to get their own name and idea?

11. How do you feel about the book? Is it what you expected? Better? Worse? Do you like Danny and how she thinks and acts?

message 28: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'll answer my qs in a bit.

message 29: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Sep 14, 2015 08:41PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments 1. The sidhd-seers thinking Cruce is beautiful and angelic is making me nervous. It appears that he can work his magic from the inside of the ice and tempt them to free him of his prison. Is Kat strong enough to resist him? Are we going to see a change in leadership of the Sidhe-seers in this book?
I hope she is strong enough and I hope she asks for help, I don’t want to see Cruce free too early. I’m sure he’ll scape at some point. I just don’t it to be a week after he got trapped.

2. What is Danny’s glass house? What is her secret? Is it how her mother treated her or something else?
It must be something else. I get that her mother haven’t been a good mother at all. But I remember from the last book that Danny always had good thoughts about her. I was surprised to read that she used to collar her and leave her in a cage for days without food. I knew the cage part but didn’t know it had been that bad!

3. Hmm Christian is attracted to Danny and it seems he started following her around. What do you think of his feelings towards her ? What’s with his scratchy back? Is he growing wings?
I’m waiting for the worst but so far I’m Okay with it. He admits that he has these feeling towards her but they are wrong and he shouldn’t.

4. Jo got herself in the tarp by following Danny. What do you think of her transformation and her waitressing? Is she going to survive the book?
I’m worried about her and I don’t like Ryodan for what he did. I don’t think she’d survive this book

5. Is Dancer too good to be true? We haven’t seem much of him but what do you think of him so far?
I’m very suspicious of him. He is too good to be true. He’s up to something . I only hope he doesn’t turn into another V’lane/Cruce.

7. Who is doing the icing? A new baddie or someone on the good side or someone we know from before? Why does Roydan want Danny to investigate? She doesn’t know much about fae as she admitted herself. Is it only because she watches things carefully?
I don’t think it’s someone we know , it must be a new character. I have no idea why he wants her to investigate. It doesn’t make sense. He and his men are better for the job

8. What do you think of Ryordan and his motives and actions? Does he read her mind?
He’s a bully so far. I don’t like him much. I think he reads her mind .Of course I thought Barrons could read Mac’s mind too.

9. ewwww! Fat eating bug !! What do you think? What’s the catch? Would you have tried it?
The bug won’t stop eating just fat , it would eat them whole eventually . They can never get rid of it. No way it’s too creepy

10. Who is behind The Dublin daily? And why are they imitating Danny? Are they provoking her or just too stupid to get their own name and idea?
Here is my theory: whoever is behind the The Dublin Daily has cleaned up the stores. They want the people to be depended on them. They are provoking her , it must be trap

11. How do you feel about the book? Is it what you expected? Better? Worse? Do you like Danny and how she thinks and acts?
Danny gets my nerves a bit. No I didn’t expect it to be about a mystery that Danny has to solve. I’m enjoying it so far. Danny’s thought process is very strange, I don’t know what to think yet.

message 30: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Question for Prologue – Chp. 11

1. The sidhe-seers thinking Cruce is beautiful and angelic is making me nervous. It appears that he can work his magic from the inside of the ice and tempt them to free him of his prison. Is Kat strong enough to resist him? Are we going to see a change in leadership of the Sidhe-seers in this book? I hope she does but I don't think she will, if you add Margery into the mix... probable change in leadership.

2. What is Danny’s glass house? What is her secret? Is it how her mother treated her or something else? Could be, she has a chip on her shoulder the size of a barn... About Christian's comment that some people being beyond saving, Dani doesn't want that to be true. That would mean there is no hope or forgiveness for her. Despite all her posturing and bravado, she desperately wants a savior.

3. Hmm Christian is attracted to Danny and it seems he started following her around. What do you think of his feelings towards her ? What’s with his scratchy back? Is he growing wings? I think he's growing wings, he is turning into an Unseelie prince after all. At first I found Christian kind of pervy but the distinction is made that he's drawn to her light so I kind of get it. He's losing himself and craves things that remind him of who he used to be before he started to change.

4. Jo got herself in the trap by following Danny. What do you think of her transformation and her waitressing? Is she going to survive the book? I like Jo so I hope she survives, I also got the vibe that she's attracted to Ryodan. I hope she's paired with him, because if KMM even tries to go for Ryodan/Dani, I'll burn the book. Well, not really since you know, ereader... but I'll definitely delete it with great relish.

5. Is Dancer too good to be true? We haven’t seem much of him but what do you think of him so far? Don't know if he's hiding something like V'lane, but he's a much better love interest for Dani. He obviously cares for her.

6. I can’t think of a world without cows and fresh produce, what are they going to do to after they go through all their canned and packaged food? Are there any farms left? I had the same thought. I don't think KMM has thought that far ahead. Besides it doesn't seem like people are preparing for the future. How much time has passed since the end of Shadowfever? A few days?

7. Who is doing the icing? A new baddie or someone on the good side or someone we know from before? Why does Roydan want Danny to investigate? She doesn’t know much about fae as she admitted herself. Is it only because she watches things carefully? I wondered at his motives, he's faster and I can't believe he doesn't has someone on his team who can do the job and do it better, so I'm guessing he's taking her under his wing so to speak. She fancies herself a superhero so he's giving her something to do.

8. What do you think of Ryordan and his motives and actions? Does he read her mind? I don't think he does, teenagers can be very easy to read.
9. ewwww! Fat eating bug !! What do you think? What’s the catch? Would you have tried it? Eeeeewwwwww, nope nope nope.

10. Who is behind The Dublin daily? And why are they imitating Danny? Are they provoking her or just too stupid to get their own name and idea? I don't think they're stupid. They're smart enough to realize that people will want a taste of their "normal" before the wall crashed. The language and name of The Dublin Daily is reminiscent of serious newspapers. I don't know why they're trying to compete with Dani rather than try to join in on her efforts. However it is noteworthy that the paper appeared after the incident at Chestner's. Dani's reputation has suffered and someone is looking to capitalize.

11. How do you feel about the book? Is it what you expected? Better? Worse? Do you like Danny and how she thinks and acts? I wasn't expecting much so I'm not disappointed. But Dani's voice is annoying. I have two teenaged sisters and while teenagers can be arrogant, oblivious and egocentric, Dani takes it a step too far. Her blinders are enormous. She doesn't give a thought to the consequences of her actions. Like Ryodan keeps telling her, she needs to grow up otherwise she's in for a world of hurt. I did like that she had a flash of awareness as she left the club after being imprisoned. Sadly, it wasn't enough to make her a bit more prudent.

message 31: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote: "1. The sidhd-seers thinking Cruce is beautiful and angelic is making me nervous. It appears that he can work his magic from the inside of the ice and tempt them to free him of his prison. Is Kat st..."

1. I too hope they keep him trapped longer than a week.

3. He makes a point of mentioning that the attraction isn't sexual. He's attracted to her light and because she reminds him of what he used to be."What stirred was like gentle rain on a warm summer day. Sweet. Tender. Something I used to be. With my clan. With my nieces and nephews." I think so far he is just acknowledging what she'll become and he wants that. Wants to give her the chance to become that. At least the part of him that's still Christian.

7. I agree.

8. He is a bully, would Dani cooperate any other way? He doesn't seem to think so.

10. Hadn't made that connection but it makes sense. It would be awful if Dancer was involved in that somehow.

message 32: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Sep 15, 2015 12:04PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I take it back! They are pervy!

message 33: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments @Gisela

#4. I like her too. I hope she survives and be paired with Ryordan. but it seems he is waiting for Danny to grow up , so ...

#5.I agree he's better for her than R and C!

#6. yes by the end chapter 11 it was only a week.

#10. I agree

#11.I wasn't expecting much either so I'm ok so far.

message 34: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Sep 15, 2015 02:22PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "8. He is a bully, would Dani cooperate any other way? He doesn't seem to think so.
"

She probably wouldn't!

message 35: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Sep 15, 2015 03:51PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "I take it back! They are pervy!"

Yep , I'm reading chapter 21. There were a few instances of perviness(that's a word ?) from both C and R in the previous chapters!!

message 36: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments OMG I just finished chapter 22! eeeeep

message 37: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I'm still on Ch. 16.

message 38: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'll distract myself with other things until you catch up:P

message 39: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Sue, have you started?

message 40: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Sep 15, 2015 06:01PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ch. 19, The pedo is strong in this one!

pedobear

message 41: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments lol yes! How I wish the MC was an adult instead of a 14yo! or R and C weren't sleazy!

message 42: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I would definitely have felt better with an older MC.

message 43: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "I would definitely have felt better with an older MC."

What makes it more uncomfortable for me is Danny's thoughts. She's either too naive (like the first time she saw R nod to Jo) or her thoughts are too smexy and graphic (like when she thinks about R having sex)

message 44: by Sue (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sue | 205 comments I've started, 40% done. I'm freaked out about 2 guys lusting over a 14 year old. And excusing themselves because they aren't acting on it. So chivalrous eye roll <\b> Miss Barrons so far only Dance is sweet and exactly what Danielle needs. Annoyed with 14 year old super hero hubris. So far, best thing going for it is that it's book six of a great series. Hoping it gets better...This series has had a few frustration notes, but seems to rescue itself.

message 45: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Sep 15, 2015 07:27PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Questions for Chs. 12-22

12. What is causing the temporary loss of Dani's powers?

13. This section has some major pervy behavior! Has your impression of Christian and Ryodan changed?

14. How do you feel about what happened with Dani's sword? Are Ryodan and Jayne right in keeping it away from Dani?

15. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the icings. Any theories as to why it's happening?

16. Margery has been receiving nightly visits from Cruce too. Do you think she'll break first? Will she succeed in freeing Cruce?

17. What did you think of Dani's conversation with Jo about Ryodan?

18. What a place to stop!

message 46: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Sep 15, 2015 07:38PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Questions for Chs. 12-22

12. What is causing the temporary loss of Dani's powers?
I have no idea . Maybe her proximity to something she can't see?!

13. This section has some major pervy behavior! Has your impression of Christian and Ryodan changed?
I didn't like Ryodan and I hadn't decided what to think of Christian until the first few chapters. At the moment I don't like either of them but C has a better standing.

14. How do you feel about what happened with Dani's sword? Are Ryodan and Jayne right in keeping it away from Dani?
I don't like Danny without her sword. I don't know how to explain this but she wouldn't be Danny without it. I wanted to smack Jayne and Roydan. The sword is the only thing that's keeping her alive with her lifestyle. I stopped reading for a couple hours after R told her that he wouldn't help her with sword. I was too pissed :P

15. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the icings. Any theories as to why it's happening?
I have no idea if it's a person or a thing.I can't think of a valid theory

16. Margery has been receiving nightly visits from Cruce too. Do you think she'll break first? Will she succeed in freeing Cruce?
Yes if one of them is going to break , it would be Margery. I don't want him out so soon .I'm thinking these 2 might not be the only ones that get the nightly visits

17. What did you think of Dani's conversation with Jo about Ryodan?
Well she says that she's happy with the whole thing to be about sex but it seems that she has feelings for him. It's going to get ugly

18. What a place to stop!
A very vary bad place!!!!!

message 47: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote: "Well she says that she's happy with the whole thing to be about sex but it seems that she has feelings for him. It's going to get ugly..."

Yep, especially once Jo realizes that Ryodan is waiting for Dani.

message 48: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ch. 28, Ryodan is such an A-hole!!!! Gah!!!

message 49: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I finished chapter 32 . I'm going to bed now. I'll post my qs in the morning unless you get to chapter 32 before I wake up and want to do them? In that case I'll do the last set.

message 50: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Sep 16, 2015 09:12AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Questions for Chs. 23-32

18. Both Christian and Ryodan are oficially on my sh!tlist.

19. Dani met Mac's mom! What did you think of this scene?

20. I don't think the folks at WeCare are as altruistic as Mrs. Lane thinks they are.

21. Will Mac ever talk to Dani in this book?

22. Will Dani grow? 75% in and she hasn't changed at all...

23. Why did Ryodan want payment from Sean for saving the abbey?

24. What is the Hoar Frost King looking for? Is he really attracted to iron?

25. The Crimson Hag, eeeeewwwwww!!! If she could trap 2 princes and the Unseelie King was the one that trapped her, how is Dani planning on killing her?

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Iced (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Karen Marie Moning (other topics)