Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Virgin River (Virgin River, #1)
This topic is about Virgin River
Archived: Series Reads > Virgin River (Virgin River #1) by Robyn Carr [Start Date: September 07, 2015]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 99 (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new) - added it

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4356 comments
Cover

Virgin River by Robyn Carr

"Wanted: Midwife/nurse practitioner in Virgin River, population six hundred. Make a difference against the backdrop of towering California redwoods and crystal-clear rivers. Rent-free cabin included." When the recently widowed Melinda Monroe sees this ad she quickly decides that the remote mountain town of Virgin River might be the perfect place to escape her heartache, and to reenergize the nursing career she loves. But her high hopes are dashed within an hour of arriving: the cabin is a dump, the roads are treacherous and the local doctor wants nothing to do with her. Realizing she's made a huge mistake, Mel decides to leave town the following morning.

But a tiny baby, abandoned on a front porch, changes her plans...and a former marine cements them into place.

Melinda Monroe may have come to Virgin River looking for escape, but instead she finds her home.

✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤

Please feel free to join us. As always expect spoilers.

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters PPDQs*
September 07 Chp.00 – 00 ????
September 08 Chp.00 – 00 ????
September 09 Chp.00 – 00 ????

*PPDQs = Person Posting Discussion Questions

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new) - added it

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4356 comments Reserved.

Lara | 2335 comments I'm not planning to reread these, but I'll probably chime in on some discussions. Assuming I can remember key points, anyway ;-)

message 4: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "I'm not planning to reread these, but I'll probably chime in on some discussions. Assuming I can remember key points, anyway ;-)"

I remember one thing very well (view spoiler) :P

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "I remember one thing very well [spoilers removed] :P"

That is so true! I think Carr and Susan Mallery must have a contest on.

Silvia | 638 comments In! I'm so looking forward to this series! ; )

Christina T (crysteena73) | 164 comments I probably won't re-read these either but will try to join in. I might re-read a couple of my favorites though. I think I only read up to #13 or so and I'll join in when we get that far (if we do LOL). I didn't review many of the ones I've read so maybe re-reading for reviewing purposes wouldn't be a terrible idea. I'll decide later LOL.

message 9: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 205 comments I've read the first 5 already, so I'll either reread or skim to participate. Slight spoiler contained (view spoiler).

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 327 comments I've finished the entire series and don't think they stand alone. As you progress further in the series, you'll see recurring characters with additional storylines. And, the stories begin to incorporate multiple storylines involving the set up for new characters in subsequent books.

message 11: by Sue (last edited Aug 17, 2015 05:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 205 comments Jonetta wrote: "I've finished the entire series and don't think they stand alone. As you progress further in the series, you'll see recurring characters with additional storylines. And, the stories begin to incorp..."

I agree that they do, it comes back to the town in these stories so reading the first few I think are a must but after that I think you can jump around a bit. I will say they do setup the next "character" for the subsequent books in the prior. So if you are a purist I think you should read in order. The first book I read was actually book 19 Sunrise Point, got it as a free read and I loved it which intrigued me enough to start at the beginning.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 327 comments I still say proceed with caution even if you like to jump around because, I'll reiterate, characters appearing in later stories appear earlier, with some significant events occurring before their main story. It will impact more than those who never read out of order.

message 13: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I don't recommend reading out of order either , specially for the last 10 books. The stories are intertwined. For some characters the story starts in the earlier books and ends in later books without them having a complete book for themselves!

message 14: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Reading out of order (even thinking about it) gives me the hives :P

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments LOL!

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Reading out of order?! What kind of heathen does that? HEHE!

I'm re-reading a series and I can't stand reading it out of order, even though I've read it before.

message 17: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 205 comments LOL I'm now a heathen... too funny. But seriously if you look at my book shelves I read most series in order.

When I read a series, I definitely read the first few books in order and can tell if the series is really dependent on the prior book after a while. I'll give myself liberties if it doesn't impact my enjoyment.

But, I do know I've been holding onto a series (Multiple years) and not reading it because book 1's plot has no interest to me, yet book 2 sounds awesome. LOL see my dilemma?

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Haha, yes, Sue. That makes sense to me, really. I will read out of order if the storyline isn't too linear.

message 19: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, I have a couple of series like that, Sue. Drives me nuts. I'm such a moody reader.

Jonel I'm looking forward to getting started at this. I've read random novels throughout the series, but figuring out where it all started, etc will be good

Logan (loganturner) | 136 comments Looks like Scribd is cycling these out of the available ebooks pool. :( I should be able to finish this one before they yank it.

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments That sucks, Logan.

message 23: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 205 comments I've been reading ahead, once I got bit by the bug I couldn't stop. No worries I'll stay true to the discussion. But I do love VR, the first 2 novels are some of my all time favorites.

Logan (loganturner) | 136 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "That sucks, Logan."

Yeah, it really annoys me. I have at least 10 books that I had saved to my library all expire or will expire within the last/next few weeks. I appreciate that they give us a few weeks of warning, but I won't be able to get to all of them. I have to finish this one before September 6th.

message 25: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Logan wrote: "Lisa Kay wrote: "That sucks, Logan."

Yeah, it really annoys me. I have at least 10 books that I had saved to my library all expire or will expire within the last/next few weeks. I appreciate that ..."

Scribd is so unreliable ,I gave up on it :(

message 26: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "Logan wrote: "Lisa Kay wrote: "That sucks, Logan."

Yeah, it really annoys me. I have at least 10 books that I had saved to my library all expire or will expire within the last/next few weeks. I a..."

This is one of the reasons I was leery of signing up for ScribD, or for Kindle Unlimited. There are others out there too, and I don't have the motivation to look through them to compare.

Jonel Lara wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "Logan wrote: "Lisa Kay wrote: "That sucks, Logan."

Yeah, it really annoys me. I have at least 10 books that I had saved to my library all expire or will expire within the last/nex..."

I love my public library for that reason. Sometimes there's a wait, but between their print selection, the online ebooks, & interlibrary loans, I can get my hands on just about anything if I don't mind waiting for it to get here.

message 28: by Sue (last edited Aug 30, 2015 12:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 205 comments Jonel wrote: "Lara wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "Logan wrote: "Lisa Kay wrote: "That sucks, Logan."

I love my public library for that reason. Sometimes there's a wait, but between their print selection, the online ebooks, & interlibrary loans, I can get my hands on just about anything if I don't mind waiting for it to get here...

The key is if your patient. sometimes that works for me. Fortunately I'm years behind on great reads and I like to start at the beginning of series that I usually don't have to buy too many. Today I have 10 books on hold, some I might not see till Christmas because they are the Newer titles. But if it's several years old I rarely have a problem.

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 744 comments I am ready to go people!

Logan (loganturner) | 136 comments I'm going to start tonight.

Silvia | 638 comments Wish I could start tonight but I'm reading the prequel and the first book of the Fatal Series by Marie Force. This time I believe I'll have to stick to the schedule! Grrrr!

message 32: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Silvia wrote: "Wish I could start tonight but I'm reading the prequel and the first book of the Fatal Series by Marie Force. This time I believe I'll have to stick to the schedule! Grrrr!"

Yes I think a lot of people are reading our other series read Fatal Affair (Fatal, #1) by Marie Force . This was starts (officially ) on the 7th.

Logan (loganturner) | 136 comments And I'm stuck doing them backwards. :) This one expires on the 6th, and Fatal Affair is still in transit to my library branch. Come on, universe! Work with me here!

message 34: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Logan wrote: " Come on, universe! Work with me here!"

LOL we'll be here to discuss FA when you're done with VR.

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 744 comments Logan wrote: "And I'm stuck doing them backwards. :) This one expires on the 6th, and Fatal Affair is still in transit to my library branch. Come on, universe! Work with me here!"

Logan, we can read together. I'm on my own schedule :D

Logan (loganturner) | 136 comments I'll use spoiler tags until the discussion starts. :)

Chapters 1 & 2
(view spoiler)

Nicci Carrera I'm going to join. This will be my first challenge participation. I've wanted to read the series. I bought A New Hope and have another one somewhere, couldn't really get into them. Now I see I should start with the first one.

Chris (cdavies1951) | 312 comments I'm starting today before the book expires.

message 39: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments That's neat that this is your first, Nicci. Welcome!

Welcome to everyone else, too.

Nicci Carrera Lisa Kay wrote: "That's neat that this is your first, Nicci. Welcome!

Welcome to everyone else, too."

Thank you so much, Lisa! I feel lucky to get in on the start of the major series.

message 41: by Logan (last edited Sep 02, 2015 06:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Logan (loganturner) | 136 comments Chapters 3-6
(view spoiler)

message 42: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Logan, I also liked the fact that Jack was up front about the future of his dating, and was sensitive enough to what was gong on the realize the impact of his choices. I thought it was very mature of him--he didn't make excuses or pass blame.

message 43: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I read this a while ago , I can't remember the details to participate in the discussion , I just remember the outline of story and that I enjoyed it very much.

Logan (loganturner) | 136 comments Lara wrote: "Logan, I also liked the fact that Jack was up front about the future of his dating, and was sensitive enough to what was gong on the realize the impact of his choices. I thought it was very mature ..."

Yes, he's such a caring and respectful guy. Love him.

Logan (loganturner) | 136 comments Chapters 7-10
(view spoiler)

message 46: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Well...I definitely remember Jack doing that and admired him more for it.

Logan (loganturner) | 136 comments Chapters 11-end
(view spoiler)

message 48: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Glad you enjoyed it Logan :)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone! I'll be reading this book with you. So excited to start a fresh new series :))

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 744 comments Priscilla wrote: "Hello everyone! I'll be reading this book with you. So excited to start a fresh new series :))"

YAY.
Welcome to Priscilla. So excited to have you!!!!!!!!

« previous 1

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Virgin River (other topics)
Fatal Affair (other topics)
Sunrise Point (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robyn Carr (other topics)