2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

The Wraith: Welcome To Christmasland #1
This topic is about The Wraith
. Week 47: During Christmas > The Wraith: Welcome To Christmasland by Joe Hill

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manda (new) - added it

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments The Wraith Welcome To Christmasland #1 by Joe Hill

This is another double-up week for me. I'm not much of a Christmas person, so I did not pick a traditional Christmas book.

My second book for this week is The Wraith: Welcome To Christmasland #1. I picked this one because it is either a sequel, prequel, or just the graphic novel version of NOS4A2, I haven't been able to figure that out yet. When I was looking for books, I came across this one first, and then discovered that it has to do with NOS4A2. So, I decided to read them both for the week.

message 2: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
I just finished this one for the same week. I had a more traditional one down but I decided I wanted to read more about Christmasland. It's actually a prequel which was interesting. It was also really cool to see Christmasland with the great artwork

message 3: by Manda (new) - added it

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments Oh! That's good to know. Would you recommend reading this one before or after NOS4A2?

message 4: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
It was cool to see visuals of Christmasland but I think the book's details allow for some creepy moments. Reading the graphic novel might take away from those moments and act somewhat as a spoiler. I would say to read the novel and then graphic novel. But I'm somewhat biased since that's the order that I read them :)

message 5: by Manda (new) - added it

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments This was pretty good. I loved the drawings, but wasn't a strong fan of the artwork. I loved reading this after NOS4A2 and seeing more of Manx's backstory. There were a few minor things that did not line up with the book, but I don't think I would have noticed them if I hadn't read them back to back. I am glad that I read the book before the graphic novel though, because I don't think I would have felt as excited to read NOS4A2 if I had read this first.

message 6: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
I'm glad that my recommendation for reading order ended up working out.

I think I just liked seeing the visuals of Christmasland. While it was strong presence in NOS4A2, it was sort of in the background at the same time. So the drawings really brought that to life, particularly the dark spin on traditional Christmas images.

message 7: by Manda (new) - added it

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments I completely agree. I liked being able to compare what I had created in my mind to what Hill and his artist had created. It was really beautiful, in a creepy kind of way.

message 8: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
I just now realized that it's part of a series. Maybe I'll have to come back and read the second one at some point soon.

message 9: by Manda (new) - added it

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments What?!?! I'm sold! Best. News. Today!