2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

A Thousand Acres
This topic is about A Thousand Acres
. Week 45: In Your Hometown > A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley

Well, my small town does not have a book set in it, unless I wanted to reread the town's history (once was enough, thank you). So I had to take a 10,000 foot view of this week and had to look at the entire state of Iowa for this one. I found two books that interested me, and could not pick just one.

The first book I will be reading is A Thousand Acres. This one is not something I would typically read, but it looks good. I am actually really excited about it and an eager to get through the weeks before it.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments I started this one last night. So far It's okay. I'm having a bit of an adjustment issue to it. I'm about 15% through it. i'm hoping it picks up soon and something happens. I'm guessing it will since the first part so far has been all about a farming father dividing up his farm land to his three daughters, and then disinheriting the youngest when she doesn't seem grateful enough of his gesture.

Think King Lear set on an Iowan farm.

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments I read this for a different week. Yeah, the story picks up. There will be a bit more drama in it. I hope you'll like it.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments Ana, how did you like it? I was pretty disappointed in it. Though admittedly, the big plot twist was not something I had really expected, but wondered about the possibility early on. WOW. It was an intense take of King Lear.

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments Manda wrote: "Ana, how did you like it? I was pretty disappointed in it. Though admittedly, the big plot twist was not something I had really expected, but wondered about the possibility early on. WOW. It wa..."

It was just okay for me. Mostly boring, and since I was bored at the start, when things started to pick up, I just didn't care so much anymore. I haven't read King Lear yet.