Spine Crackers discussion

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about A Discovery of Witches
Book Discussions > A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caitlin (last edited Aug 17, 2015 04:32AM) (new) - added it

Caitlin | 118 comments Mod
Deep in the stacks of Oxford's Bodleian Library, young scholar Diana Bishop unwittingly calls up a bewitched alchemical manuscript in the course of her research. Descended from an old and distinguished line of witches, Diana wants nothing to do with sorcery; so after a furtive glance and a few notes, she banishes the book to the stacks. But her discovery sets a fantastical underworld stirring, and a horde of daemons, witches, and vampires soon descends upon the library. Diana has stumbled upon a coveted treasure lost for centuries-and she is the only creature who can break its spell.

Kenzie | 50 comments Mod
I read this whole trilogy back at the beginning of the year. The first was the best in my opinion. I thought it was a fun read. It was entertaining and an easy read

Things I liked:
All of the different types of magical creatures
The mystery surrounding Diana and the book
Diana's aunts
Matthew's family

Things I didn't like:
The whole protective/possessive vampire thing
The "mating" thing (just not my cup of tea, I prefer gradual love stories"
The yoga class (it just seemed so out of place and random)

It reminded me somewhat of Twilight but with a more capable female lead, and a less annoying male lead.

Diana doesn't know who she is or how to use her magic, but I like that she doesn't let that stop her. She still stands up for herself, and tries to protect those that she loves. I like the scientific aspect with all of the genetics stuff. I also liked how Matthew was also a scientist. I thought it brought more to his character than just being a vampire. It's hard to write anything else because I don't want to give anything away from the next two books, but can't quite remember what happened in the first.

All in all I enjoyed reading this and would recommend it to anyone who wants a fun and entertaining read.