Reading with Style discussion

RwS (Fall 2015) > 20.6 Ratings

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6146 comments 20.6-Ratings In honor of Crime and Punishment, read a book that has at least 300,000 ratings on Goodreads.

message 2: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6146 comments .

message 3: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Soll | 187 comments Is there a way to search the ratings so as to frame the world here?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12317 comments Gabe - there are some listopia that will help:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

and

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3... (you'll have to keep an eye out on this one, as the list starts at 200k)

message 5: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4568 comments I have never read The Bell Jar, The Shining or The Stand, so I'm going for The Bell Jar for sure and then one or both of the Stephen King books if I have time. Any recommendations on which King is best?

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments I was surprised at how many I had read off these lists, more than I have left to read.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12317 comments I have Lolita and Atonement penciled in for this task, but I know I can't get to everything I have penciled in - and tasks still to come!

message 8: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2414 comments Almost all that I haven't read, I have absolutely no intention whatsoever of ever reading.

message 9: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4568 comments Coralie wrote: "Almost all that I haven't read, I have absolutely no intention whatsoever of ever reading."

I am pretty much in the same boat other than the ones I'm planning and a couple of memoirs that I might want to read at some point. It surprised me that I had read so many of the books, like Amanda said, too.

message 10: by Karen Michele (last edited Aug 24, 2015 06:14PM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4568 comments P.S. though, Elizabeth, Kate and Krista, I still think it's a great task idea;)!

message 11: by Kathleen (itpdx) (new)

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1402 comments Gabriel wrote: "Is there a way to search the ratings so as to frame the world here?"

You can sort your TBR bookshelf by number of ratings to pick from books you are already thinking of reading.

message 12: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2288 comments Karen Michele wrote: "I have never read The Bell Jar, The Shining or The Stand, so I'm going for The Bell Jar for sure and then one or both of the Stephen King books if I have time..."

The Stand is good but like 1000 pages long. The Shining is shorter. I liked the movie version of "The Stand". The Shining is based off of a hotel Steven King stayed in.

message 13: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6146 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Any recommendations on which King is best? "

I found these two King books to be rather different from one another.

The Stand was a good vs. evil book. It read more like a quest book, than a horror novel. King's ideas about post-apocalyptic society struck me as true and plausible.

The Shining is a much scarier book. A family alone in the mountains, watching over a possibly haunted hotel. Classic horror story. I remember being amazed at how scared I could be by the written word when I allowed myself to get sucked into this one. On another note, this is included in Boxall's 1001 books to read before you die, if you are working on that list at all.

I think it depends on what you want from your King book (if you get to it): scary or adventure.

I believe you will enjoy either or both of them if you fit them into your plans.

message 14: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1441 comments I'm having trouble figuring out the lexile rating for Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. Could you please tell me which rating applies? The ratings seem to be all over the place.

Thanks!

message 15: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4568 comments Thanks for the Stephen King advice!

message 16: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6146 comments Joanna wrote: "I'm having trouble figuring out the lexile rating for Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. Could you please tell me which rating applies? The ratings seem to be all ov..."

We have the lexile of 850 in the database. We tend to pick the highest one of the available scores.