Reading with Style discussion

RwS (Fall 2015) > 20.5 History

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5911 comments 20.5-History In honor of Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation, read a book written by an author who has won the Pulitzer for History (can be fiction or non).

message 2: by Kate S (last edited Aug 27, 2015 12:19AM) (new)

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments This looks like my tricky one at this stage.

Looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulitze... I am presuming that I am to only be looking at the first listing for each year, as that is the prize winner, correct ?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11719 comments You might like this page. And the task is any book by an author who won, so it doesn't have to be the winning title.

http://www.pulitzer.org/bycat/History

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Thanks Elizabeth.

On tablet so can't link to books, but I am thinking that m
eans I can read Fordlandia, which is on the Wiki list?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11719 comments Amanda wrote: "Thanks Elizabeth.

eans I can read Fordlandia, which is on the Wiki list?"

No, only books by authors who have won are eligible for this task.

message 7: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1364 comments I highly recommend Polio: An American Story. I really enjoyed that one. So much so that I'm considering reading Worse Than Slavery by the same author for this task.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Thanks Elizabeth.

eans I can read Fordlandia, which is on the Wiki list?"

No, only books by authors who have won are elig..."

Sorry Elizabeth. Tuesday nights are a rush here, and I realized much later that I was wrong in my interpretation.

The couple I was interested in look like a no-go as I can't source them, and none of the names are known to me, so this will be a challenging one. Will keep searching the State for something ( so glad for my library system! )

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Joanna wrote: "I highly recommend Polio: An American Story. I really enjoyed that one. So much so that I'm considering reading Worse Than Slavery by the same author for this task."

Hi Joanna,

I've taken your recommendation for Polio, as I can get it shipped over from another library :)

message 10: by Krista (last edited Aug 20, 2015 12:52PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Here is a list of authors who have recently won the Pulitzer Prize in History.

Any books by these authors will fit this task:

2015 - Elizabeth A. Fenn
2014 - Alan Taylor
2013 - Fredrik Logevall
2012 - Manning Marable
2011 - Eric Foner
2010 - Liaquat Ahamed
2009 - Annette Gordon-Reed
2008 - Daniel Walker Howe
2007 - Gene Roberts and Hank Klibanoff
2006 - David M. Oshinsky
2005 - David Hackett Fischer
2004 - Steven Hahn
2003 - Rick Atkinson
2002 - Louis Menand
2001 - Joseph J. Ellis
2000 - David M. Kennedy

message 11: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4185 comments I highly recommend Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America by David Hackett Fischer

Grants insight into the cultures of colonial America that are still pervasive today. If you are into American history, British history during this time, American culture or genealogy it is enlightening.

message 12: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4185 comments Thanks a lot! History is my passion. I started looking at these authors and their books and just added 66 to my "to read" list making a grand total of 2329 books on that shelf! I finally had to stop looking when I got to the 1940's winners. Fortunately this time I was very good to resist, with a lot of will power, from searching the "Readers Also Enjoyed" lists or it would have been more like 166 books added!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11719 comments Rebekah wrote: "Thanks a lot! History is my passion. I started looking at these authors and their books and just added 66 to my "to read" list making a grand total of 2329 books on that shelf! I finally had to sto..."

Do I detect a note of sarcasm here? ;-)

Joseph Ellis is one of those who writes nonfiction smoothly so that it reads much like fiction. I have another, American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson, pencilled in for this. Another I already had on my wish list is Reveille in Washington, 1860-65. I hope to get to at least one of these.

message 14: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4185 comments I already had all three on my list too! I was looking forward to reading 1776 but then I realized David McCullough won the Pulitzer for biography and not history. I might still use it for the numbers task. I just bought Washington's Crossing when we visited the place last month with our kids. A couple of years ago I got The Hemingses of Monticello, (along with American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson) when we visited Monticello.

message 15: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4185 comments Oh and I also have Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation on my "to read" list.

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: " Joseph Ellis is one of those who writes nonfiction smoothly so that it reads much like fiction. I have another, American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson, pencilled in for this. Another I already had on my wish list is Reveille in Washington, 1860-65. I hope to get to at least one of these. "

I read American Sphinx a number of years ago as my husband bought it for me for Christmas, and really enjoyed it. We had just been watching the tv series on John Adams and I was intrigued by Jefferson.