Reading with Style discussion

RwS (Fall 2015) > 20.2 Innocence

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments 20.2-Innocence In honor of The Age of Innocence, read a book originally published no more than 20 years prior to the author's death. Include both year of publication and year of death in your post.

message 2: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments .

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2264 comments So read a book published between 1917 and 1937?

message 4: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments No, here's an example:

Tara Road by Maeve Binchy

+20 Task (book published 1998, author died 2012)

A book published within the final 20 years of an author's life.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2264 comments you mean within 20 years the author of that book died

message 6: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments Yes

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2264 comments Okay, got it

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments So, both A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations will work, as they were each serialized between 1859-1861, and Dickens died in 1870, correct ?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11948 comments Amanda wrote: "So, both A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations will work, as they were each serialized between 1859-1861, and Dickens died in 1870, correct ?"

Yes, as well as his Our Mutual Friend and Bleak House. Mucho jumbo points for those!

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Yes, they both have hit 3 challenges already, so there are options and points and celebrations ;)

I've read Bleak House, but might look at Our Mutual Friend again.

At the very least, it will mean another tick on the 1001 list!

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1102 comments How about The Man in the High Castle? It was published in 1962 and Philip K. Dick died in 1982. Do I have to go looking for months or does that count for the twenty years?

message 12: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments We will only be looking at years for this one. We don't currently track months. This looks fine.

message 13: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 27, 2015 08:02PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4239 comments posthumously published doesn't count?

message 14: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments Rebekah wrote: "posthumously published doesn't count?"

No, only books published prior to the author's death qualify for this one.

message 15: by Kathleen (itpdx) (new)

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1364 comments Unfortunately Oliver Saks just qualified. A couple of his books within 20 years are Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain and The Mind's Eye both NAN

message 16: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1346 comments itpdx wrote: "Unfortunately Oliver Saks just qualified. A couple of his books within 20 years are Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain and The Mind's Eye both NAN"

That's sad. I read two of Oliver Sacks' books and enjoyed them. Kent Haruf and E.L. Doctorow also died in the past year.

message 17: by Krista (last edited Aug 31, 2015 03:41PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Ivan Doig also died this year. :-(

message 18: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4482 comments Krista wrote: "Ivan Doig also died this year. :-("

Yes, I am very sad to lose these great authors! I'll be reading Last Bus to Wisdom, but I don't think it works here because it was published after his death, so I put it in for TtUS.