The Fault in Our Stars The Fault in Our Stars discussion

Is it really worth it, to keep trying for what we want; even when we can have it?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

kiki’s books This, I believe my friends, is a topic that has been bothering human kind for milleniums.
We (humans) very often will propably want something or someone. Some of us will try to get it not even caring about the consequenses or the effect it may have on other people's lifes.
Others, though, will usually stop when the first obstacle comes in their way.
And here is where humanity has always stopped and put a question mark.
Should I continue hoping that one day I will have what I want and everything will be perfect?
Or should I just stop everything.. and give up? Even give up on life....

Well.. there's only one thing I can tell you.

If you want something really bad, then never stop trying to get it.
But if that thing you want is really bad (not only for you, but for everyone), then never even try to get it.

This might sound lame and useless.. But i'ts a pretty simple rule to go by.
And it will probably open you a clean new path to a different prespective of things.

...Just start simple and work your way up.

message 2: by Ruby (last edited Aug 16, 2015 08:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruby One has to know him/herself and know what it is he/she wants and what it entails.

A person can let go of a harmful wanting and direct their passion/focus to something else healthily. A person can also measure the risks, make their own choices, and keep trying while being cognizant of how it will affect them. So in conclusion I think you're right that whether it's worth it to keep trying depends on what it is you're trying to get.

Netters If you don't have what you want, that doesn't mean you stop try because then you don't want it anymore. The more you wish for something to happen, the more grateful you are when it comes. You should never give up hope.

Dylan Bernardi Of course it's worth trying for, especially if you can have it. If it wasn't worthwhile, you wouldn't have wanted it in the first place.

message 5: by Emma (last edited Aug 18, 2015 08:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Kalliniki wrote: "This, I believe my friends, is a topic that has been bothering human kind for milleniums.
We (humans) very often will propably want something or someone. Some of us will try to get it not even car..."

Your advice is good.

But what if what I want is... bad? Illegal? Defies human rights or hurts someone? Do I still try as hard as I can to get it? (I'm not using myself as an example... i'm just asking a question - don't think i'm a weirdo!)

What if I (or someone) wants something really, really bad... but it's not good for someone else... they can't stop thinking about it... do I still attempt to get it?

Dylan Bernardi Emma wrote: "Kalliniki wrote: "This, I believe my friends, is a topic that has been bothering human kind for milleniums.
We (humans) very often will propably want something or someone. Some of us will try to g..."

You are the judge of what is worth pursuing, not the law.

kiki’s books Emma wrote: "Kalliniki wrote: "This, I believe my friends, is a topic that has been bothering human kind for milleniums.
We (humans) very often will propably want something or someone. Some of us will try to g..."

Emma wrote: "Kalliniki wrote: "This, I believe my friends, is a topic that has been bothering human kind for milleniums.

Well that is what Im trying to say..
As long as what we want doesnt hurt anyone everything is great.
But what if it does? What if our friends get hurt? Our family? Or total strangers?
What do we do then?
Do we punish ourselves because we did something horrible?
Do we try and find a way out of this mess without any consequenses?

And that is where usually a person might start being suicidal.
Things can go very wrong and actually end up in a suicide or by trying to cover up the mess makes an even bigger one.

I mean the answer Im giving you is pretty obvious but the best thing you can do is turn your self in (if you have commited a crime) or othrwise if you just hurt somebody (perhaps their emotions) all you can do is ask for forgiveness. From them, from God or from whoever you feel like you need to.

That is what I think :)

kiki’s books Dylan wrote: "Of course it's worth trying for, especially if you can have it. If it wasn't worthwhile, you wouldn't have wanted it in the first place."

I totally agree with you. And that is what complicates me;
Are we trying to get a person, a thing etc because we really want them or need them or just because of our nature to have things that cannot be ours?
How do we now which is which? Stuff can get very messy especially when emotions get in the way.
And when we do finally found out what was it that made us pursue this "path" and it wasnt what we expected.. what do we do then?

kiki’s books Netters wrote: "If you don't have what you want, that doesn't mean you stop try because then you don't want it anymore. The more you wish for something to happen, the more grateful you are when it comes. You shoul..."

We should never give up hope. Agree.
Its just that what if we are trying to get something, we know is impossible to get and halfway into it we forget that?
We start depressing ourselves over it, start hating ourselves and becoming self-conscious etc etc..
And all this for what?
For something that we knew from the beginning couldnt be ours.

But every coin has two sides and I'm just trying to explain/discuss the bad side of things.

Of course things can turn out to be amazing!!
Or even if the beginning was rough you still didnt give up and at the end got what you wanted.

Ive experinced all sides. I'm just trying to help out all these people out there who are dealing with the same problem and give them some enlighting. :D

Dylan Bernardi Kalliniki wrote: "Emma wrote: "Kalliniki wrote: "This, I believe my friends, is a topic that has been bothering human kind for milleniums.
We (humans) very often will propably want something or someone. Some of us ..."

thats a very interesting point of view, our vision is often clouded by our own emotion

kiki’s books Dylan wrote: "Kalliniki wrote: "Emma wrote: "Kalliniki wrote: "This, I believe my friends, is a topic that has been bothering human kind for milleniums.
We (humans) very often will propably want something or so..."

Exactly..!!

message 12: by Abby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abby Kalliniki wrote: "Are we trying to get a person, a thing etc because we really want them or need them or just because of our nature to have things that cannot be ours?"
I think that's an interesting point. That there is some part of humankind that reaches for things that can't be ours. And the only way to tell the difference between that, and the stuff you actually need is to trust your decisions and be sensible (which sounds extremely simple and predictable, but there is really no other way).

kiki’s books Abby wrote: "Kalliniki wrote: "Are we trying to get a person, a thing etc because we really want them or need them or just because of our nature to have things that cannot be ours?"
I think that's an interestin..."

Well, the simpler the better!! :D