Historical Fictionistas discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Ancient History (Old Threads) > October 2015 Nominations: About a historical person

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3617 comments Mod
Hello all...
I usually end up going with something Halloween themed (or scary in some way) for October, but this time I'm going to mix it up and do something different. This month, the theme is going to be books about a historical person.

These can be historical fiction, such as The Winter Palace: A Novel of Catherine the Great, which is about the life of Catherine The Great, or nonfiction such as Cleopatra: A Life.

So, fiction or non-fiction is fine, but the book should be centered around one person's life, or a relevant deed that they've accomplished, and the book should be realistic fiction - no fantasy or alternative history.

As usual, nominations must be seconded to get on the poll. Each person is allowed one nomination AND one second.

No self-nominations.

Please include (and preferably link to) the title and the author in text, not cover images. Book cover images will not be counted.

Please check to make sure that we have not already read the book you're nominating. You can check this thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Or the group bookshelf: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

We'll do nominations until the 20th and then vote, so make sure you get your nominations and seconds in before then! :)

message 2: by Becky, Moddess (last edited Aug 18, 2015 08:14AM) (new)

Up to date as of post #81

New Updated list:
Nominations - Need to be Seconded
Sydney Smith, by Peter Virgin (Abigail)
Circling the Sun by Paula McClain (Jessica)
A Scandalous Life: The Biography of Jane Digby by Mary Lovell (Gracebaldwin)
Queen Victoria: A Personal History by Christopher Hibbert (Nikki)
Julian by Gore Vidal (Greg)
Across the Waters of Time: Pliny Remembered by Ken Parejko (Jane)
Margaret Pole: The Countess in the Tower by Susan Higginbotham (NayNay)
Pilate's Wife by Antoinette May (Jasmine)
My Notorious Life by Kate Manning (Nikki/2958674)
Mrs Poe by Lynn Cullen (Merietta)

Nominations - Already Seconded / On the Poll
I, Elizabeth by Rosalind Miles (Human) [Susanna]
The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran (Historietime) [Jasmine]
The Maid by Kimberly Cutter (Becky) [Jessica]
Augustus by John Williams (Silash) [Sarahu]
The Lady in Gold: The Extraordinary Tale of Gustav Klimt's Masterpiece, Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer by Anne-Marie O'Connor (Malia) [Gail]
The Summer Queen by Elizabeth Chadwick (Tania) [Nikki]
Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally (Ashley) [Historietime]
The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver (Luci) [James]
The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers by Margaret George (Deborah) [Heather]
Saint Mazie by Jami Attenberg (Tori) [Colleen]
The Taming of the Queen by Philippa Gregory (Margaret/4590246) [Maddie]
The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff (Wes) [Carolyn]
Doc by Mary Doria Russell (Gabriel) [Becky]
The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick (Eileen) [Deborah]
The Second Duchess by Elizabeth Loupas (Shannon Elizabeth) [Nikki]
Ines of my Soul by Isabel Allende (Margaret) [Susan]
The Constant Princess (Heather) [Ashley]
Passionate Sage: The Character and Legacy of John Adams by JJ Ellis (Chris) [Doreen]
I Am Livia by Phyllis T. Smith (Gretchen) [Shannon Elizabeth]
Tidewater: A Novel of Pocahontas and the Jamestown Colony by Libbie Hawker (Jackie) [Shomeret]

message 3: by Becky, Moddess (new)

OK so to get the ball rolling, I am once again going to nominate The Maid: A Novel of Joan of Arc by Kimberly Cutter, which is about Joan of Arc... as implied by the title. :P

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I'll nominate I, Elizabeth by Rosalind Miles, which is about Elizabeth I.

message 5: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Iciek | 463 comments What about The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick, which is about William Marshall?

message 6: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Eileen, that one is listed as being #2 in the series. We would need to read them in order according to the GR series page. Would the first book work instead?

message 7: by Silash (new)

Silash Ruparell | 2 comments Dear All,

I would like to nominate Augustus by John Williams. The book is delivered in a epistolary style. It is about the rise of Octavius Caesar (nephew of Julius) and was written over 40 years ago.
Best,
Silash

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 405 comments I would like to second I, Elizabeth.

message 9: by Wesley (new)

Wesley Redfield | 48 comments The 19th Wife

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

To me Brigham Young is one of the most fascinating characters in American history. He helped found a major religion, led a wagon train west, had 27 wives, and ran the company store. This book is about one of his teenage wives who had the guts to divorce him.

message 10: by Tori (last edited Aug 16, 2015 10:30AM) (new)

Tori (sometorist) I'd like to nominate Saint Mazie by Jami Attenberg, which is about Mazie Phillips, aka the "Queen of the Bowery." :)

message 11: by Elyse (last edited Aug 16, 2015 03:01PM) (new)

Elyse | 10 comments How about The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran, which is about Queen Neferatri.

I would also like to second Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally.

message 12: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8033 comments I would like to nominate Ines of my Soul by Isabel Allende this novel is about the conquest of Peru and Chile in the fifteen hundreds and the role played by Ines Suarez and Pedro Valdivia. It is riveting reading.

message 13: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 616 comments I’d like to nominate something a little off the beaten track: Sydney Smith, by Peter Virgin. Sydney Smith was a leading English wit and intellectual of the Georgian and Regency eras.

message 14: by Tania (new)

Tania | 69 comments I'd like to nominate The Summer Queen by Elizabeth Chadwick. About Eleanor of Aquitaine.

message 15: by Luci (new)

Luci (luciskydyme) | 13 comments I nominate The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver which features artists Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo, along with several other interesting persons from history.

message 16: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Jasmine | 1236 comments Mod
I'll second the Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran.

I'd like to nominate Pilate's Wife by Antoinette May. The novel speaks for itself, it's about Claudia, the wife of Pontius Pilate.

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (longlivelibraries) | 146 comments I'll second The Maid: A Novel of Joan of Arc. I would also like to nominate Circling the Sun, Paula McClain's new novel about the female aviator Beryl Markham.

message 18: by Malia (new)

Malia (calypso007) | 4 comments I nominate The Lady in Gold: The Extraordinary Tale of Gustav Klimt's Masterpiece, Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer by Anne-Marie O'Connor, which centers around the story of the woman behind Gustav Klimt's famous painting of Adele Bloch Bauer. It might have also inspired the film, Woman in Gold recently, but I'm not sure.

message 20: by Sarah u (new)

Sarah u (mrssarahu) I would like to second Augustus by John Williams.

message 21: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 16 comments I would also like to nominate (or second) The Queen's Vow: A Novel of Isabella of Castileby C.W. Gortner

Shannon Elizabeth Heffner (thepinkroseoftexas) | 16 comments I'd like to nominate Enchantress of Paris: A Novel of the Sun King’s Court by Marci Jefferson. This will be my first read with all of you in this group and I'm very excited about it! :)

message 24: by Gracebaldwin (new)

Gracebaldwin (aparatchick) | 4 comments A beautiful British aristocrat whose head was ruled by her heart. An early marriage, a scandalous divorce, lovers across the European continent, and finally, true love with a Bedouin nobleman in Syria. It's nonfiction that reads like a novel.

A Scandalous Life: The Biography of Jane Digby by Mary Lovell

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) I would like to nominate Queen Victoria: A Personal History by Christopher Hibbert which is about Queen Victoria.

I would like to second The Summer Queen by Elizabeth Chadwick.

message 26: by Greg (new)

Greg (greg108) | 6 comments I nominate "Julian" by Gore Vidal.

message 27: by Deborah (last edited Aug 16, 2015 02:51PM) (new)

Deborah Pickstone | 77 comments I nominate The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers by Margaret George

I second The Heretic Queen

Lots of good-lookin' books being suggested! :)

message 28: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 545 comments I want to nominate Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally

message 29: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Pickstone | 77 comments oooo! yes! it's wonderful...can I second two books?????

message 30: by James (new)

James Aura (jamesaura) | 1 comments I'll second The Lacuna
----

Luci wrote: "I nominate The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver which features artists Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo, along with several other interesting persons from history."

message 31: by Heather (new)

Heather Carino | 7 comments I would like to second The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool Will Somers by Margaret George.

message 33: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 5 comments So many great ones!
I nominate: The Taming of the Queen by Philippa Gregory

message 34: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Pickstone | 77 comments Thank you, Heather - it's a fabulous book!

message 35: by Heather (new)

Heather Carino | 7 comments You're welcome Deborah. It's one of my favorites! And I have read what seems like a thousand Tudor novels

message 36: by Heather (last edited Aug 16, 2015 05:11PM) (new)

Heather Carino | 7 comments I would like to nominate The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. I hope this will count, since its about Achilles who is a mythical character. But it is such a good book!

message 37: by ☆Stephanie☆ (new)

☆Stephanie☆ (TeacherofYA) Could I nominate "The Heretic's Daughter" by Kathleen Kent? It's excellent!

message 38: by NayNay (new)

NayNay Becky wrote: "Eileen, that one is listed as being #2 in the series. We would need to read them in order according to the GR series page. Would the first book work instead?"

I read them and they can be read as standalones

message 39: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 0 comments I will second Saint Mazieby Jami Attenberg

message 40: by NayNay (new)

NayNay Margaret Pole: The Countess in the Tower by Susan Higginbotham

Margaret Pole, Countess of Salisbury, born Margaret of York & Clarence, was an English peer. She was the daughter of George, Duke of Clarence, who was the brother of King Edward IV and King Richard III. She was executed under the command of Henry VIII.

message 41: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Doc by Mary Doria Russell. Good excuse to read it.

message 42: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Pickstone | 77 comments Becky - The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick is to one of the 5 that deals with William Marshal's life - book 1 was actually about his father. I concur that each of the series can be read as a stand alone book.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I deleted my other second, as I've changed my choice. I'd like to second The Taming of the Queen.

message 44: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 477 comments Historietime wrote: "How about The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran, which is about Queen Neferatri.

I would also like to second Schindler's List by [author:Thomas Keneally..."

I second the Heretic Queen

message 45: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 31 comments I second The 19th Wife, I keep meaning to read this one, it looks very interesting.

message 46: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Pickstone | 77 comments aha...looks like both the books I attempted to second were already seconded....so I think The Maid: A Novel of Joan of Arc still needs a second? Here it is :)

message 47: by Becky, Moddess (last edited Aug 16, 2015 09:32PM) (new)

Kelly & Ashley - we've already read The Queen's Vow: A Novel of Isabella of Castile in the group.

Stephanie - We've already read The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent.

Shannon Elizabeth and Heather, looking at your nominations, they seem to be a bit too much fantasy for this month's theme. (Which is a shame, because Song of Achilles looks fantastic!) Can you both choose a different book?

Eileen - After looking at the series again, I'm going to allow your nomination. Series are... wonky sometimes on GR, and this book seems to be #1 when based on publication, but 2nd chronologically.

So, going forward, to make things as clear and easy on everyone as possible, the policy for books in a series is that they must be read in order of publication. If that is not the case, the nomination will not be permitted. Hopefully that's fair. :)

message 48: by Becky, Moddess (new)

If I missed anyone - just let me know!

message 49: by Deborah (last edited Aug 16, 2015 09:27PM) (new)

Deborah Pickstone | 77 comments BUT.....if you're allowing Eileen's nomination - where is it?

I will second The Greatest Knight for her - William Marshal is a favourite of mine. Fourth attempt to second a book.....fingers crossed! haha

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.